PDA

View Full Version : Ukuleles with scale length between concert and tenor?

g'est
03-04-2015, 05:23 AM
I find the concert size most comfortable to play and I like the sound of tenors, so I was wondering about ukuleles with scale length somewhere between a concert and a tenor, that's about 15,5-16 inches.

I know that Ohta-san has a scale length of 15-15/16" but I couldn't think of any others.

I'm sure you guys know, what's out there! :)

vanflynn
03-04-2015, 07:14 AM
Have you tried a low G tuning on your concert?

janeray1940
03-04-2015, 07:25 AM
There was another one mentioned in a recent post but unfortunately I can't find it. I did find this discussion from a while back: 16" scale length? (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?78587-16-quot-scale-length)

(psssst... get the Ohta-San, you won't regret it!)

g'est
03-04-2015, 07:58 AM

That's a great idea! :) I was planning to do it and I just received Living Water low G concert ukulele strings from Ken Middleton. However, I lent my concert uke to a friend, so that will have to wait a little bit. Do you like low G on a concert?

There was another one mentioned in a recent post but unfortunately I can't find it. I did find this discussion from a while back: 16" scale length? (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?78587-16-quot-scale-length)

(psssst... get the Ohta-San, you won't regret it!)

Thanks for the link! I'm trying really hard not to buy the Ohta-san, it would really crush my budget! :(

janeray1940
03-04-2015, 08:05 AM
I play low G on both concert (Kamaka, 15" scale) and Ohta-San - both sound great. I'm not a fan of fluorocarbon low G strings, though, so I prefer the Fremont Soloist squeakless wound string. I've also got a Koaloha concert-neck pineapple which sounds good with low G.

And yeah - that Ohta-San is a budget crusher, but for those of us whose hands are too small to play tenor comfortably, it's as good as it gets :)

Mattyukaholic
03-04-2015, 08:07 AM
I'm pretty sure Kanile'a concerts are 15.5 inches rather than the normal 15 inches.

g'est
03-04-2015, 08:27 AM
I'm pretty sure Kanile'a concerts are 15.5 inches rather than the normal 15 inches.

I checked, I think you're right! Thanks! :)

DownUpDave
03-04-2015, 08:37 AM
There is Ono ukuleles by builder David Ingalls who builds custom ukes with a long concert scale length of 16". That is the good news, bad news is he has had a hand operation and rehab is going very slowly so all production has been put on hold for a while now. Maybe that is good news because it will give you time to save up for one.:-)They are actually very reasonably priced for a custom.

Hippie Dribble
03-04-2015, 08:59 AM
There is Ono ukuleles by builder David Ingalls who builds custom ukes with a long concert scale length of 16". That is the good news, bad news is he has had a hand operation and rehab is going very slowly so all production has been put on hold for a while now. Maybe that is good news because it will give you time to save up for one.:-)They are actually very reasonably priced for a custom.

What Dave said. Ono Ukuleles are wonderful. David is also a member here: "saltytri".

billten
03-04-2015, 09:06 AM
I think the bruko tenor is more of a concert size. There is a very good review here:

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2014/06/bruko-no9-tenor-ukulele-review.html

wayfarer75
03-04-2015, 09:20 AM
My Kelii concert has a 15.5 inch scale.

g'est
03-04-2015, 09:21 AM
I think the bruko tenor is more of a concert size. There is a very good review here:

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2014/06/bruko-no9-tenor-ukulele-review.html

I've read that review. I'm not sure but I think that it still has a tenor just scale and just a smaller body. I might be wrong.

Tommy B
03-04-2015, 09:55 AM
I believe luthier David Newton builds a 16-inch longscale concert.

dalamaricus
03-04-2015, 10:17 AM
Flea concerts are a 15.5" scale, although they use the same body for all the different scale lengths (so you might not get the tenor sound you're looking for).

bazmaz
03-04-2015, 10:49 PM
Yes, was going to say a Bruko 9 - you beat me to it Billten!

It's an idiosyncratic little thing - definitely in the 'between concert and tenor' scale - in fact - fits (snugly) in my Ko'olau hard concert case.

One thing some dont like is that sopranoesque number of frets on the neck.

I love it though - a very nice little thing that is different from the norm..

Rakelele
03-04-2015, 11:11 PM
Dave Iriguchi has come up with what he calls "IDeale" size, being right in between a Concert and a Tenor:
http://iriguchiukuleles.com/

UkerDanno
03-05-2015, 03:58 AM
You want a longer scale or a bigger body? It seems the body would give tenors their sound. I see from another thread, that Kanilea makes a Super Tenor, which has a bigger body, maybe there's a Super Concert? Might be a custom, though...Kanileas have a slightly larger body than most anyway.

bnolsen
03-05-2015, 05:15 AM
concert fluke is 15.5" The concert flea is the same.

WCBarnes
03-05-2015, 05:28 AM
Cocobolo Ukuleles now has a 16" super concert that might be an option for you. I have a traditional concert and it is a good instrument for the price. Very warm tone.

katysax
03-05-2015, 05:28 AM
Low G works fine on most concerts. My favorite low G concert is the Ohta-San, and the scale is a big part of the reason. However, the Kanilea concert is also great. The neck is a little wider and a little longer than most concerts, and I don't have any problem switching between it and the Ohta-San. (Part of the magic of the Ohta-San is the wider waisted, bell shaped body - it has a fuller sound).

I do have issues with playing tenor all the time. I like a lot about the longer scale and bigger body, but if I play tenor too much (several hours a day several days in a row), the tendons on my left hand get sore. I have to switch back and forth between tenor and concert to give my hands a rest. (Because I course I can't just take a few days off). I do wish there were more options with the 16.5 inch scale. For many of us it is perfect.

Dan Uke
03-05-2015, 11:29 AM
Reading this thread, makes me really want to get a 16" scale uke! UAS never stops.

Pueo
03-05-2015, 12:07 PM
I have a Kamoa GC-700, which they call a Grand Concert - it is a little bigger than a concert, and a little smaller than a tenor.
I tried to look up the scale length online, but could not find it, and the ukulele is at my house so I can't measure it.
I like the size and find it plays well. I string it with Tenor strings, currently Worth Brown all plain low G which I like on this particular ukulele.
I have played it on a few of my Seasons of the Ukulele videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdSxOUoLnyI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MkvrPVAVq4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVR86jPwxfM

Cocobolo Ukuleles
05-09-2015, 04:02 PM
We have just started to offer a Super Concert with a 16" scale. It started out as an experiment as we built a custom ukulele for UU member Jim Hanks, but the results have been great and we are now offering the Super Concert as a regular part of our lineup.

Here are a couple of pictures of Jim's new Super Concert:

strumsilly
05-09-2015, 05:31 PM
I wasn't playing my Koaloha concert much as it was tuned reentrant and I've been prefering a low g, so wanting a smaller uke to travel with I've put a low g on it and I've got to say I like the sound almost as much as my Koaloha low g tenor, and it is much easier to play certain songs with the shorter scale length.

Hippie Dribble
05-09-2015, 06:11 PM
David Ingalls (Ono Ukuleles in Oregon) builds amazing 16" scale concert ukuleles. 13 frets to the body, cantilevered fretboard. Incredible sound and second to none playability. Also a great config. for those of us who don't necessarily enjoy playing tenor ukes. You still feel like you're playing a concert but the smidgeon more room is a real bonus, much more so than I'd imagined it would be. So comfortable to play. Here's a couple of quick pics of my Ono 16" koa concert.

chillywilly
05-09-2015, 07:36 PM
Check out Iriguchi ukulele. He makes a model called "Ideal". Sized between a concert and a tenor. One was raffled off at the Reno Uke festival last week.