I guess it's true.

Icelander53

Reaction score
There is always more to everything

So now that I've got my solid electric on the way I want to explore the world of effects. I know almost squat about this so the curve is strong in this one.

What I'm thinking is just starting out with an inexpensive multi effects unit so I can learn without breaking the bank.

I'm looking for advice on the pedals effects and on good beginner units to look at or why not to go that way etc. I need lots of info here.

I'm going to be running through a low watt amp (15 watt Behringer is my main acoustic amp because that's what I got for playing the acoustics with a attached pickup at home)

Lots of extra points for simplicity.

Oh I also have a small Vox reg electric guitar amp.

You don't get much more for less than in the Zoom MS-50. For simplicity, get the big Boss multi. It's what I use.

Have to agree with Brad on this one. Lots of decent multi-effects pedals out there, and the prices are really good. While you will often get much better sound quality buying individual pedals, the price goes up exponentially. Individual pedals start at around $30 at the low end and can go into the hundreds at the high end. It matters if you are doing stage work or studio recording, but for the casual player, the multi-effects pedals are very satisfying and very cost-effective.

The Zoom pedals are built like tanks and are very reasonably priced (the MS-50 that Brad references goes around $100), but can be a little complicated to use, as they do everything on a little LCD screen. Definitely a learning curve, but good sound. They are also very small and easy to cart around. The Boss pedals, on the other hand are larger, clunkier, and plastic, but much more intuitive. And unless you're playing a stadium, you'll be fine with either.

Just for fun I picked up one of the newer Zoom pedals that are a little less expensive and supposed to be easier to use. I got this one with the third pedal option for $70 from Amazon. They are $50 without the third pedal. Seems good enough for home use but maybe not rugged enough for stage use. Just started messing with it today and it seems like it is a good choice for a complete newbie like me.

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/g1on

Hey that's the one on top of my list right now. :D Would you be willing to PM me once you've had a couple days of play with further impressions. It's going to be for home use and I imagine not too often. I want something fairly straight forward and easy to use. It' just need some decent sounds to play with.

Oh, @Icelander52. You are teetering on a very slippery slope! I am purposely avoiding that whole electric and effects world. I know myself well enough that if I stick my toe in that water, I'll spend countless hours getting "edumacated" that I could have more wisely spent practicing. LOL. I'll just live vicariously through your experience, so keep us posted.

Enjoy!

I have tried a multitude of multi effect pedals...now I use only stand alone pedals. Evaluate what you really need
and perhaps a better amp with included effects such as a Fishman Loudbox is a better idea.

I know it's likely a much better idea. However I need to experience all that to know it. So I do still think the best bet is get a multi effects station and just mess around and then I'll find out what it is I actually want. It's a process, sometimes long, but it usually works out the best. Too many times I've opened up my wallet before I knew what I was getting into. Those were the most expensive mistakes.

Islander53, will PM more info when I try it out some more. So far, I am happy with it, my goals seem similar to yours.

I just got myself a looper pedal and it's great for practace. I can play the chord section of a song then solo with effects etc over the top, getting the timing right etc.

Top Bottom