My Opio has arrived!!

MeanGreenUker

Reaction score
It's been a long 2 days but the wait is over. Better than I imagined. The pictures on the website don't compare to this beauty in person. My Opio shipped inside a tweed hard case that cradled her snug within the cases plush lining. This is my first experience with friction tuners and I was a bit worried. A majority of the reviews I've read, owners claimed they are difficult to tune. I did notice they were a bit loose but with the help of my multitool screwdriver, tuning was a breeze. Only time will tell I guess. I do plan on upgrading to Gotoh UPTs but I'd hate to lose the laser engraved K on the stock tuners. She plays warm and mellow as everyone described, just what I was hoping. The stock strings are soft and easy to play up and down the scale. I actually like these strings as they are very comparable to the Oasis and Worths I normally utilize. The grain front back side to side is stunning. I'm on the fence about the satin finish but I think it will grow on me. I did not have any adjustments done to the setup. It's came spec'd as factory shipped and I don't see any issues with it yet. All in all, I'm very happy with my decision. Enough talk, photos incoming.

Here she is

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 94
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 126
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 130
A couple more

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 71
Congrats on the new uke, looks nice! As for friction tuners - I think they sometimes get a bad rap for no real reason. Sure, it's always possible that one had a bum set of tuners, but I have them on my Koaloha and most of my Kamakas and they work just fine - the Koaloha ones are much better than the Kamaka ones IMO. And I do have a uke with the Gotohs, which are great, but the friction tuners just don't bother me enough to do the upgrade, even though I've been pondering it for over a year.

I tried one of these at HMS. It's a concert size , right?
It's look pretty and the price was very good as I recall. Your case looks beautiful too. Is it heavy?
Congratulation. Thank you for sharing. That's a lovely instrument.

Nice. When I was younger everything was gloss. Then Taylor Guitars began introducing the satin finish. I wasn't a fan.

Now, many years later, I actually prefer the satin finish. Enjoy your new instrument!

Congrats! *drools*

I think your new Opio looks beautiful!! I hope you get many years of joy with this instrument!! I think the satin finish looks nice on this. I don't have a finish preference as I see fine examples in satin and glossy. But, I can't picture one of these with a glossy finish. I think this looks great! I hope you post a sound sample.

Congrats on the new uke, looks nice! As for friction tuners - I think they sometimes get a bad rap for no real reason. Sure, it's always possible that one had a bum set of tuners, but I have them on my Koaloha and most of my Kamakas and they work just fine - the Koaloha ones are much better than the Kamaka ones IMO. And I do have a uke with the Gotohs, which are great, but the friction tuners just don't bother me enough to do the upgrade, even though I've been pondering it for over a year.

the Kamaka ukes have been coming out with the Gotoh UPTs for a couple years now....:)

the Kamaka ukes have been coming out with the Gotoh UPTs for a couple years now....:)

Yep, my Ohta-San has them. But on my older Kamakas I just haven't been bothered enough to upgrade them since the friction tuners don't give me much trouble at all.

Thank you everyone. I can tell this is going to be hard to put this Uke down. You guys are great.

I tried one of these at HMS. It's a concert size , right?
It's look pretty and the price was very good as I recall. Your case looks beautiful too. Is it heavy?
Congratulation. Thank you for sharing. That's a lovely instrument.

Yes Brenda, I failed to mention it is a concert. Over excited I guess. The case is isn't too heavy. It's is very sturdy. I almost didn't order a case with it but I think it's a great investment and insurance. Thanks

I think your new Opio looks beautiful!! I hope you get many years of joy with this instrument!! I think the satin finish looks nice on this. I don't have a finish preference as I see fine examples in satin and glossy. But, I can't picture one of these with a glossy finish. I think this looks great! I hope you post a sound sample.

It's definitely an instrument I'd like to pass down to my kid once he or she comes aboard. The finish is growing on me for sure. I'll do my best to get you guys a sound sample. Thanks.

This will be my next investment. How do you like it?

I love it! It's probably one of the nicest ukes I've ever seen, in terms of appearance, playability and tone. I think it's a good testimonial that after I bought mine, three other people I play with regularly bought Ohta-Sans as soon as the shop got them in. Some play reentrant and some (like myself) play low G, but the uke sounds great either way.

I love it! It's probably one of the nicest ukes I've ever seen, in terms of appearance, playability and tone. I think it's a good testimonial that after I bought mine, three other people I play with regularly bought Ohta-Sans as soon as the shop got them in. Some play reentrant and some (like myself) play low G, but the uke sounds great either way.

That's outstanding. It is definitely a looker. Low G will be my next venture. The sounds remind me too much of my guitar but once I heard the tones and saw the techniques using as bass, it really does have beautiful warm vibes and is in a class of its own.

Do you have a preference on which low g brand? I mostly see wound but I've come across the Aquila low g that isn't.

Do you have a preference on which low g brand? I mostly see wound but I've come across the Aquila low g that isn't.

I do - I have a very strong preference for wound low G strings. The Fremont Soloist is my favorite, it's squeakless/polished and lasts a good long time. Before the Fremonts became easy to find, I used a guitar D string (Savarez red card high tension) - they squeak, and they don't last very long, but they have a good balanced tone.

I'm not fond of non-wound low G at all - they feel floppy and rubber-band-like to me, and I don't find the tone very balanced. There are people who love them, but I've tried a bunch and went back to wound pretty quickly.

I do - I have a very strong preference for wound low G strings. The Fremont Soloist is my favorite, it's squeakless/polished and lasts a good long time. Before the Fremonts became easy to find, I used a guitar D string (Savarez red card high tension) - they squeak, and they don't last very long, but they have a good balanced tone.

I'm not fond of non-wound low G at all - they feel floppy and rubber-band-like to me, and I don't find the tone very balanced. There are people who love them, but I've tried a bunch and went back to wound pretty quickly.

I will give Freemont a try. I'm sure it will be great. Thanks Jane!

Congrats on your Opio! I just got one and I love it!

Very nice! You got some cool lookin' grain on that uke! I am considering one of those too ... and a Clara ... and ......... those look like an incredible value. Well done! Enjoy!

Top Bottom