PDA

View Full Version : My Opio has arrived!!

MeanGreenUker
03-04-2015, 09:46 AM
It's been a long 2 days but the wait is over. Better than I imagined. The pictures on the website don't compare to this beauty in person. My Opio shipped inside a tweed hard case that cradled her snug within the cases plush lining. This is my first experience with friction tuners and I was a bit worried. A majority of the reviews I've read, owners claimed they are difficult to tune. I did notice they were a bit loose but with the help of my multitool screwdriver, tuning was a breeze. Only time will tell I guess. I do plan on upgrading to Gotoh UPTs but I'd hate to lose the laser engraved K on the stock tuners. She plays warm and mellow as everyone described, just what I was hoping. The stock strings are soft and easy to play up and down the scale. I actually like these strings as they are very comparable to the Oasis and Worths I normally utilize. The grain front back side to side is stunning. I'm on the fence about the satin finish but I think it will grow on me. I did not have any adjustments done to the setup. It's came spec'd as factory shipped and I don't see any issues with it yet. All in all, I'm very happy with my decision. Enough talk, photos incoming.

MeanGreenUker
03-04-2015, 09:51 AM
Here she is

MeanGreenUker
03-04-2015, 09:53 AM
A couple more

janeray1940
03-04-2015, 10:04 AM
Congrats on the new uke, looks nice! As for friction tuners - I think they sometimes get a bad rap for no real reason. Sure, it's always possible that one had a bum set of tuners, but I have them on my Koaloha and most of my Kamakas and they work just fine - the Koaloha ones are much better than the Kamaka ones IMO. And I do have a uke with the Gotohs, which are great, but the friction tuners just don't bother me enough to do the upgrade, even though I've been pondering it for over a year.

Camsuke
03-04-2015, 10:04 AM
Congratulations MGU! very nice.

Brenda Wong
03-04-2015, 10:11 AM
I tried one of these at HMS. It's a concert size , right?
It's look pretty and the price was very good as I recall. Your case looks beautiful too. Is it heavy?
Congratulation. Thank you for sharing. That's a lovely instrument.

vcs700s
03-04-2015, 10:13 AM
Nice. When I was younger everything was gloss. Then Taylor Guitars began introducing the satin finish. I wasn't a fan.

Now, many years later, I actually prefer the satin finish. Enjoy your new instrument!

hendulele
03-04-2015, 10:15 AM
Congrats! *drools*

Debby
03-04-2015, 10:18 AM
I think your new Opio looks beautiful!! I hope you get many years of joy with this instrument!! I think the satin finish looks nice on this. I don't have a finish preference as I see fine examples in satin and glossy. But, I can't picture one of these with a glossy finish. I think this looks great! I hope you post a sound sample.

hawaii 50
03-04-2015, 10:33 AM
Congrats on the new uke, looks nice! As for friction tuners - I think they sometimes get a bad rap for no real reason. Sure, it's always possible that one had a bum set of tuners, but I have them on my Koaloha and most of my Kamakas and they work just fine - the Koaloha ones are much better than the Kamaka ones IMO. And I do have a uke with the Gotohs, which are great, but the friction tuners just don't bother me enough to do the upgrade, even though I've been pondering it for over a year.

the Kamaka ukes have been coming out with the Gotoh UPTs for a couple years now....:)

janeray1940
03-04-2015, 10:38 AM
the Kamaka ukes have been coming out with the Gotoh UPTs for a couple years now....:)

Yep, my Ohta-San has them. But on my older Kamakas I just haven't been bothered enough to upgrade them since the friction tuners don't give me much trouble at all.

MeanGreenUker
03-04-2015, 10:52 AM
Thank you everyone. I can tell this is going to be hard to put this Uke down. You guys are great.

I tried one of these at HMS. It's a concert size , right?
It's look pretty and the price was very good as I recall. Your case looks beautiful too. Is it heavy?
Congratulation. Thank you for sharing. That's a lovely instrument.

Yes Brenda, I failed to mention it is a concert. Over excited I guess. The case is isn't too heavy. It's is very sturdy. I almost didn't order a case with it but I think it's a great investment and insurance. Thanks

I think your new Opio looks beautiful!! I hope you get many years of joy with this instrument!! I think the satin finish looks nice on this. I don't have a finish preference as I see fine examples in satin and glossy. But, I can't picture one of these with a glossy finish. I think this looks great! I hope you post a sound sample.

It's definitely an instrument I'd like to pass down to my kid once he or she comes aboard. The finish is growing on me for sure. I'll do my best to get you guys a sound sample. Thanks.

MeanGreenUker
03-04-2015, 10:55 AM
Yep, my Ohta-San has them.

This will be my next investment. How do you like it?

janeray1940
03-04-2015, 11:00 AM
This will be my next investment. How do you like it?

I love it! It's probably one of the nicest ukes I've ever seen, in terms of appearance, playability and tone. I think it's a good testimonial that after I bought mine, three other people I play with regularly bought Ohta-Sans as soon as the shop got them in. Some play reentrant and some (like myself) play low G, but the uke sounds great either way.

MeanGreenUker
03-04-2015, 11:25 AM
I love it! It's probably one of the nicest ukes I've ever seen, in terms of appearance, playability and tone. I think it's a good testimonial that after I bought mine, three other people I play with regularly bought Ohta-Sans as soon as the shop got them in. Some play reentrant and some (like myself) play low G, but the uke sounds great either way.

That's outstanding. It is definitely a looker. Low G will be my next venture. The sounds remind me too much of my guitar but once I heard the tones and saw the techniques using as bass, it really does have beautiful warm vibes and is in a class of its own.

Do you have a preference on which low g brand? I mostly see wound but I've come across the Aquila low g that isn't.

janeray1940
03-04-2015, 11:31 AM
Do you have a preference on which low g brand? I mostly see wound but I've come across the Aquila low g that isn't.

I do - I have a very strong preference for wound low G strings. The Fremont Soloist is my favorite, it's squeakless/polished and lasts a good long time. Before the Fremonts became easy to find, I used a guitar D string (Savarez red card high tension) - they squeak, and they don't last very long, but they have a good balanced tone.

I'm not fond of non-wound low G at all - they feel floppy and rubber-band-like to me, and I don't find the tone very balanced. There are people who love them, but I've tried a bunch and went back to wound pretty quickly.

MeanGreenUker
03-04-2015, 11:36 AM
I do - I have a very strong preference for wound low G strings. The Fremont Soloist is my favorite, it's squeakless/polished and lasts a good long time. Before the Fremonts became easy to find, I used a guitar D string (Savarez red card high tension) - they squeak, and they don't last very long, but they have a good balanced tone.

I'm not fond of non-wound low G at all - they feel floppy and rubber-band-like to me, and I don't find the tone very balanced. There are people who love them, but I've tried a bunch and went back to wound pretty quickly.

I will give Freemont a try. I'm sure it will be great. Thanks Jane!

vanflynn
03-04-2015, 11:49 AM
Congrats on a sweet uke. Hope you have lots of free time!

cptdean
03-04-2015, 01:04 PM
Congrats on your Opio! I just got one and I love it!

deschutestrout
03-04-2015, 01:39 PM
Very nice! You got some cool lookin' grain on that uke! I am considering one of those too ... and a Clara ... and ......... those look like an incredible value. Well done! Enjoy!

actadh
03-04-2015, 03:11 PM
So wonderful that you like it so much!

My Opio seemed like it had an overspray on the satin finish when I first received it. After five months of wiping it down after playing, it is much nicer to the touch. It has taken on a glow.

I love the tuners. That is the bling for me, and I like that I am the one that sees it when I play - almost like a secret treat. I hardly ever need to adjust the tuners so their being friction tuners just adds to the charm

The fret markers on the front seem so modern compared to the little ones on my Martin OXK.

And, boy, does ever it play so sweetly and makes even my playing sound good.

MeanGreenUker
03-04-2015, 04:02 PM
Congrats on a sweet uke. Hope you have lots of free time!

Thanks, it's definitely going to consume a lot of it.

Congrats on your Opio! I just got one and I love it!

Thank you sir.

Very nice! You got some cool lookin' grain on that uke! I am considering one of those too ... and a Clara ... and ......... those look like an incredible value. Well done! Enjoy!

Pull the trigger. You won't regret it.

So wonderful that you like it so much!

My Opio seemed like it had an overspray on the satin finish when I first received it. After five months of wiping it down after playing, it is much nicer to the touch. It has taken on a glow.

I love the tuners. That is the bling for me, and I like that I am the one that sees it when I play - almost like a secret treat. I hardly ever need to adjust the tuners so their being friction tuners just adds to the charm

The fret markers on the front seem so modern compared to the little ones on my Martin OXK.

And, boy, does ever it play so sweetly and makes even my playing sound good.

That's the look I'm going for, an Uke that you know has been played. I'm sure it will shine up a bit through time. I was contemplating on rubbing it down with that Renaissance wax people have mentioned. I believe it was DownUpDave. As for the tuners, I really love the way they accent this uke. And they seem to adjust fine and stay in tune after a quick tightening with a screwdriver. Maybe I'll wait on those Gotoh UPTs. It is definitely tempting though. Thanks

Sylvan
03-04-2015, 04:06 PM
The wood grain on my Opio looks almost identical to yours. I love the woody look of it. Mine is a real sweet, easy playing uke. You'll love it!

timmit65
03-04-2015, 04:20 PM
NICE! Congrats!

MeanGreenUker
03-04-2015, 05:28 PM
The wood grain on my Opio looks almost identical to yours. I love the woody look of it. Mine is a real sweet, easy playing uke. You'll love it!

What's the date stamped on yours?

NICE! Congrats!

Thank you!

DownUpDave
03-05-2015, 12:41 AM
MeanGreenUker, congratulations on an excellent ukulele. You had made mention of me buffing up my Opio concert so I am guessing you had read that post. The renaissance wax is put on after the uke has been buffed, the wax is not a buffing agent, if that makes sense.

My Opio's finish was chalky to the touch so I rubbed it down with steel wool first. Started with medium, then fine, then extra fine. This is a VERY simple process and you cannot hurt the wood doing this. If concerned just use extra fine, it will just require a little more time and changing out pieces of steel wool more often. This will get you a semi gloss sheen even without the wax.

Don't want to thread jack but hopefully this helps you or others interested in doing it. Feel free to PM me with any questions. I was a carpenter/cabinet maker in a previous life so I am comfortable doing this kind of thing. Enjoy your new baby, the more you play it the more you will like. I have bought and sold different ukes but the Opio is still here.

MeanGreenUker
03-05-2015, 12:22 PM
MeanGreenUker, congratulations on an excellent ukulele. You had made mention of me buffing up my Opio concert so I am guessing you had read that post. The renaissance wax is put on after the uke has been buffed, the wax is not a buffing agent, if that makes sense.

My Opio's finish was chalky to the touch so I rubbed it down with steel wool first. Started with medium, then fine, then extra fine. This is a VERY simple process and you cannot hurt the wood doing this. If concerned just use extra fine, it will just require a little more time and changing out pieces of steel wool more often. This will get you a semi gloss sheen even without the wax.

Don't want to thread jack but hopefully this helps you or others interested in doing it. Feel free to PM me with any questions. I was a carpenter/cabinet maker in a previous life so I am comfortable doing this kind of thing. Enjoy your new baby, the more you play it the more you will like. I have bought and sold different ukes but the Opio is still here.

Solid! Thanks Dave. And you aren't thread jacking at all. I'm glad you chimed in because I would have pm'd down the line anyhow. This uke is a favorite already. Super light, easy to play with beautiful tones. I can hardly believe it's me playing. Thanks again.

Sylvan
03-05-2015, 04:37 PM
[QUOTE=MeanGreenUker;1660459]What's the date stamped on yours?

Mine's November 2013.

MeanGreenUker
03-05-2015, 05:35 PM
Mine's November 2013.

nice. I thought maybe our dates were close. May 2014

actadh
03-06-2015, 02:59 AM
I didn't realize they had date stamps. I aimed a light and mine is January 2014. (And, it still has that new soundhole smell.)

DownUpDave
03-06-2015, 03:22 AM
I didn't realize they had date stamps. I aimed a light and mine is January 2014. (And, it still has that new soundhole smell.)

Oh yes......the soundhole smell of a solid wood ukulele is wonderful. It is a great reason to have a koa, a cedar a mahogany etc etc. They not only sound different they smell different. I am having a uke built with a Port Orford Cedar top and the builder asked if I had ever smelled Port Orford and I said no. He then went on and on about how it was spicey and peppery and all delicious smelling. Seemed almost as exciting as the sound.

Sorry I kinda lost my mind there :p

cptdean
03-06-2015, 04:52 AM
Cool! I had no idea it had a date. Here's mine...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3118618/forum_pics/ukulele/Opio/Opio_Date.jpg

Ludwig.
03-06-2015, 09:45 AM
May 2014 here. :)

Anyone ever tried anything else than the Worth CM stock strings? I'm happy with them but still am kinda curious what else might fit.

MeanGreenUker
03-06-2015, 09:58 AM

I didnt know either until I did a thorough look over and saw it in the soundhole. Definitely cool.

Anyone ever tried anything else than the Worth CM stock strings? I'm happy with them but still am kinda curious what else might fit.

I have some Oasis High G Brights' I want to try out. They sound great on my other uke which is solid acacia. I do like the strings they came with. Curiousity is killer so I hid the Oasis strings out of sight until these flop.

g'est
03-06-2015, 10:03 AM

You might want to try Living Water strings (either in high or low G), I really like them on my KoAloha! :)

DownUpDave
03-06-2015, 10:08 AM
Phd strings developed by Daniel Ho with Koaloha in mind. Lots of love for those strings on Koalohas here on this site. Funny enough I have had them on other ukes and loved them but have not yet tried them on the Opio

MeanGreenUker
03-06-2015, 08:19 PM
Phd strings developed by Daniel Ho with Koaloha in mind. Lots of love for those strings on Koalohas here on this site. Funny enough I have had them on other ukes and loved them but have not yet tried them on the Opio

High g or low g.