PDA

View Full Version : Moongazer Music DejaVu Dola Electric Ukulele

turtle10786
03-04-2015, 11:25 AM
Here are pics of my Moongazer Music DejaVu Dola electric steel string tenor ukulele which I just completed building from their kit. The Uke is finished with 10 coats of Tru-Oil which gives it a semi-gloss finish which I really like. I chose to have the Almuse "smoothly" humbucker with a 3-way switch that gives me the choice of single coil, humbucker and out-of-phase settings. I initially had some noise and hum issues, but I lined the pickup and control cavities with conductive copper tape and also ran a ground wire from the bridge.....now no noise at all! This little guy is a powerhouse and let's me rock out when I'm in the mood to do my ukulele imitation of Jeff Beck. This instrument is the perfect compliment to my KoAloha Sceptre tenor which is my main go-to ukulele.

PhilUSAFRet
03-04-2015, 11:45 AM
Very spiffy looking. Good job. Is this different from their Mandola kit? Now..........let's hear it

turtle10786
03-04-2015, 12:05 PM
This is basically Moongazer's Mandola kit with the 17" scale option and tuned to a low G.

JustVince
03-05-2015, 08:02 AM
Blazing Jeff Beck Uke solo's ! LOL. Looks great. What string set are you using? and what gauge too ? -Vince

turtle10786
03-05-2015, 01:02 PM
Hey Vince,
Perhaps I'll do some Jimmy Page riffs just to mix it up some:-) The Uke is now strung with D'Addario nickel wound XL regular light gauge strings, but I think I'll try a medium set to give it a bit more depth (.028, .020, .015, .011). I chose the "smoothly" humbucker so I could have a more mellow, jazzy sound and I run the Uke through my Fishman Loudbox Artist amp. When I want more gain I run thru my Roland Cube on the classic stack setting.