Why do my Worth strings keep fraying?

Andy Chen

Reaction score
A few days ago, I just put a new pack on my Boat Paddle after the last set's A string frayed.

Then last night, I saw that the new A string also started fraying.

Man, what gives?

That's odd. I still have the original strings on my BP ML Tenor that I received new in October '14. No indication of fraying. However I recently restrung my MM 6 string tenor with a new set (Worths?) from MM and the wound strings, particularly, are not long for this world. I am going to try a softer tension South Coast set shortly. As this 6 string was manufactured in 2011 and originally used by a touring professional, I was also going to check if a fret dress is advisable. That can't be case with your new BP A Style. I'd suggest you ask Jerry for some input.

Thanks for that. Do you suspect the frets are fraying the strings?

are the frets rough? do you play hard?

Hi Danno,

The frets feel fine to me. But I guess I do play pretty hard, cos I barre a lot up and down the neck.

Yet, my Clara's Oasis strings seem fine and I play equally hard on that.

Thanks for that. Do you suspect the frets are fraying the strings?

I can't be sure and that's why I want to have it checked out by a good instrument techo that I know.

I can only think of three potential causes:
1. Rough frets
2. Rough finger nails on my left hand
3. Faulty batch of strings

Can you think of any other possibilities?

It's most likely due to playing a lot/hard. Also depends on the kind of music you are playing - I wore out my MM a string real quick playing aaron Keims finger picking book exclusively for a month which features a lot of lead a string work.

The location of the fraying will indicate whether it's a rough fret or not. If the fraying takes place in between frets, then it's probably due to playing. If the fraying is consistently over a certain fret or two, well there you go.

Hi Peter, let me try to get a usable picture of it tonight.

Recstar: It's not at the same spots.

I have had the same problem with some sets of Worth Clear: On several different ukes, the A string started fraying imediately (on several spots, but mostly around the third fret). I changed them without any fret dressing, and the problem was gone, so I figure this isn't a problem of sharp frets (nor heavy playing), but an inconsistency in the material. Other sets were fine, and I like them a lot.

Haven't had that problem with Worth Brown.

Thanks, Rakelele. I am inclined to agree with you. All the fraying sets are worth Clears.

I play equally hard on Pono which has Fremont Blacklines and have no problems with it.

I had this happen once on southcoast strings - but they were VERY old. Never with Worth Clears, but not saying that is impossible.

Essentially - all fluorocarbon strings are made from the same thing - essentially fishing leaders made in Japan - I suppose bad batches can happen, but in my case I put it down to

a) them being too old
b) a rough crown on one of the frets - a guick file and polish with steel wool worked a treat an never seen it happen since.

I suspect b) may be where to look

Andy, not sure what kind of tone you like. I suspect Oasis bright + T-I CF30 will bring your Boat Paddle to life. Give this combo a try.

I have worth ct-lg on my pono. Prolly about 30 hours on this set. No fraying for me. I don't tend to bend far/hard though.

might be the batch. my worth string A string also frays very quickly around the 2nd and 3rd fret area. sometimes it dosnt at all.

It appears many are commenting on a similar issue occurring. If there is a bunch of us that have experienced fraying a strings on worth clears, i would say its more than a coincidence and could be a bad batch.

Quick update: I just replaced it with a South Coast string I happen to have. Let's see if it frays in the same spot.

Andy, not sure what kind of tone you like. I suspect Oasis bright + T-I CF30 will bring your Boat Paddle to life. Give this combo a try.

Hi Equina: thanks for that. I asked Jerry about using a wound low G but he said a wound string would not last as long on BP ukuleles coz the string windings would separate cos of the pin at the nut.

Just a quick update on this: The South Coast A string I am using to replace the frayed Worth Clears has no problems at all so far.

Just a quick update on this: The South Coast A string I am using to replace the frayed Worth Clears has no problems at all so far.

I was about to say Andy. Maybe you should have change a different set of strings and see if they fray as well. Seems like you have done that with positive results. I can't imagine it is the fingernails causing this problem. I think you may have had a bad batch, don't know.

Top Bottom