What other instrument do you/have you made?

greenscoe

Reaction score
I like seeing what folks are making. But apart from ukes what else do forum members make (or have previously made)?

Photos please!

No pics I'm afraid,but I have built two guitars,
one bass guitar, and three Appalachian Dulcimers,
aside of course,from about five ukulele or ukulele
'variants'! I own only one of these, the rest I made
for,or gave away to friends. And the one I have, I
have no pics of,but it is a cigar box resonator ukulele!

Several hundred of everything I could think of. See my website if you're curious.

Thanks for replying John. I should have stated that I have visited the websites of many of the pros on the forum especially if they display their website (as in your case). I suppose I was asking about instrument making of which most of us are unaware eg someone on the forum making something like harpsichords, violins, flutes, zithers etc........ when we knew only that they made ukes .

Some guitars and an e-banjo a long, long time ago.

I've recently made some shakuhachi. Simple ones are really easy to make and it's quite rewarding. I used PVC pipes and these instructions to make the first one. Then I made some more of wood and yarn.

Just remember that it takes a lot of practise to produce a sound. Don't be frustrated when you build your first shakuhachi and can't make it sound right. The instrument will probably be okay and it's just you needing more practise. No kidding, it took me an hour to make the first sound on a shakuhachi.

This was my second effort at a musical instrument. A mountain dulcimer built of walnut with a pecan fingerboard. I built this thing tight and sturdy not knowing that tight and sturdy was not necessarily the best way to go. I built it like a battleship and it sounds like one too. Tight, dark and... muffled. A true canoe paddle. Structurally one could say that it could also be used as a club in a pinch. Also it has a terrible string buzz. Almost immediately it went into a closet where it has lived undisturbed for almost 30 years until this photo was taken today. Note the dust. This instrument does not get played much. As a matter of fact it has never been played.... Someday I am going to rehabilitate it. But not right now. (Note the out-house half moons on the upper bout. Classy.)

DSCN5888.jpg DSCN5889.jpg

Bowed Dulcimer
several mountain dulcimers
tenor back packer guitar
bowed psaltry
Several baritone ukulele
tenor guitar
IMG_0684.jpg
IMG_0698.jpgIMG_0686.jpg
IMG_1033.jpg
IMG_1066.jpg

Electric guitars in the early '80s, mostly Strat, LP and Tele styles. A few F5s around the same time period too. Now it's ukes, dulcimers and cigar box instruments. I like the ukes best! I want to build a Weissenborn but haven't worked up the guts to do it.

Electric guitars in the early '80s, mostly Strat, LP and Tele styles. A few F5s around the same time period too. Now it's ukes, dulcimers and cigar box instruments. I like the ukes best! I want to build a Weissenborn but haven't worked up the guts to do it.

I've been sitting on plans for Weissenborn for over 10 years. I figured I should know something about playing one before building them though. So I bought a Ricky lap steel thinking I'd learn fairly quickly. And that's why my Weissenborn plans sit in the corner with a layer of dust on them!

Chuck, I've been playing dobro since I separated the tip of my index finger from the rest of said finger. Kinda put an end to my fiddle and mandolin playing so i started on dobro and am hooked these last 10 years. A Weissenborn is definitely on my list, at least to own and play if I don't get to building one. The hollow neck and size of the instrument is kind of daunting to me.

Geez...besides ukes:
Electric guitars, banjos of several varieties, lap steels, acoustic guitars, mandolins, low tuned mandolin, three string guitar, wooden flutes, semi-acoustic up right bass, electric bass guitar, Cajun accordions in different keys, kalimbas...
Arg! I con't stop!!!

A 3/4 size guitar based on my M style ukuleles, finished about two weeks ago. It features 5-star planetary banjo pegs with 16ga. nickel spacers to fit a 9/16" head stock.

M guitar.jpg M guitar2.jpg

Last edited:
Just saw this thread. To date I have built the following, 8 different size 6 string acoustic steel string guitars, 2 sizes of tenor steel string guitars, 4 different size classical guitars, a couple of electric guitars, 3 different size 5 string banjos, 2 different size mountain dulcimers, 6 different size ukes in many different shapes, banjo ukes in 3 sizes, 2 different size mandolins, 4/4 size violins (8 total). The numbers are over 500 instruments made, plus countless repairs on all of the above........and still going.

guitars, ukes, a few mandolins

Top Bottom