Photos of Koaloha Opio Tenor

Photojosh

Reaction score
Just came across this post from Baan Ukulele on FB with Opio tenor photos and didn't see that it had been posted here.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1040717529278989.1073741898.209575445726539&type=1

They say that this was the prototype and that "The production has started since." It was posted the middle of last month (Feb), so no real idea what that means in terms of production time or release date of the tenor. I sent an email the other day to HMS asking if they had any news on release date. But haven't heard back form them yet.

Can't decide if I should wait for the Opio or just break down and find the money (somehow) for the Koaloha tenor I really want.

10409647_1040717669278975_5234747545783395441_n.jpg 10402387_1040717632612312_419714500128450530_n.jpg
10952865_1040717639278978_523241003400055338_n.jpg 1236033_1040717622612313_6343880556010008896_n.jpg
10952268_1040717599278982_710034175625279101_n.jpg

Last edited:
I think these look real nice. From what I understand, the Opios sound just as good as the regular Koalohas. I am the thrifty type, so I would go for the Opio and save the money! If it's going to bother you to not go all the way for the Koaloha, then you have your answer. There is no right or wrong answer. You just need to do whatever makes you happy, with no regrets.

I think these look real nice. From what I understand, the Opios sound just as good as the regular Koalohas.

I've heard that. Is the volume the same I wonder? That loud clear tone is what I love about the Koaloha tenor.

I am the thrifty type, so I would go for the Opio and save the money! If it's going to bother you to not go all the way for the Koaloha, then you have your answer. There is no right or wrong answer. You just need to do whatever makes you happy, with no regrets.

To be clear, I'm the thrifty type as well. I'd have to track down a used tenor if I were going full Koaloha. Even so, that's probably $300-400 more than my wild a-- guess about the Opio tenor pricing.

On the other hand, if it's going to be months before the Opio is out....I may just start keeping my eye out.

I have both a KoAloha (koa) concert and a KoAlana (sapele) concert. KoAlana's were the previous, fault-prone version that preceded the Opio's.

For what it's worth, these two ukes have virtually identical volume. The KoAloha's tone is brighter; the KoAlana's warmer.

My KoAlana developed a fault. But I repaired it myself and won't part with it.

I guess if you're the thrifty type, get the Opio, but if you're going to always think "wish I had a Koaloha", look around and get a Koa! I would think it's "only" going to be 2-3 hundred more, if you look around. Put a WTB ad in the marketplace, you'll be surprised what might pop up! Good luck! :shaka:

KoAlana's were the previous, fault-prone version that preceded the Opio's.

You're speaking of the old Chinese-made KoAlanas, for sure, not the Thai-made special limited edition box set of KoAlanas (autographed by Herb Ohta Jr.&Sr.) which were the prototypes for what would become the Opios. This box set, from which my concert has since also been signed by the Okami brothers and Daniel Ho, is the pride and joy of my collection! Fantastic sound and construction. And although I already have a KoAloha tenor and soprano, I would gladly add a KoAloha Opio tenor to the collection.

You're speaking of the old Chinese-made KoAlanas, for sure, not the Thai-made special limited edition box set of KoAlanas (autographed by Herb Ohta Jr.&Sr.) which were the prototypes for what would become the Opios. This box set, from which my concert has since also been signed by the Okami brothers and Daniel Ho, is the pride and joy of my collection! Fantastic sound and construction. And although I already have a KoAloha tenor and soprano, I would gladly add a KoAloha Opio tenor to the collection.

I'm referring to the 2012 ones, made in Thailand, which just preceded the Opio's.
http://www.theukulelesite.com/koalana-concert-ukulele-package.html
and:
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?74945-Shoud-I-worry-about-this-Crack-in-Koalana

Not trying to resurrect this old topic or thread. KoAloha and HMS did a great job of resolving those issues, and that episode, if anything, probably means quality of the new Opio's is first rate. I'd buy an Opio in a second if I didn't already have the KoAlana.

Something seems amiss here and I'm trying to get to the bottom of it. I read through the UU thread link you gave.
Some people in that thread seem to think those KoAlanas were made in Thailand, though a few of them thought they were made in Vietnam.

Do the 2012 KoAlana models you speak of actually say "made in Thailand"? Mine do. They are from the limited edition box set which I purchased in the summer of 2012 from the factory in Bangkok. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the factory's owner told me that all KoAlanas made prior to those box sets were made in China (those being the models with problems). In December, 2012 Alan Okami told me in Bangkok that my limited edition model, which he autographed, was going to be rebranded, though rebranded as what he did not say. The Opio was not introduced until April, 2014. I toured the Opio factory in Bangkok in July of last year, and again, unless I'm "misremembering" something, they told me that the KoAlanas prior to the special edition box set where made in China.

My only point in this is that I believe any faulty KoAlanas were made in China, not Thailand.

Just came across this post from Baan Ukulele on FB with Opio tenor photos and didn't see that it had been posted here.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1040717529278989.1073741898.209575445726539&type=1

They say that this was the prototype and that "The production has started since." It was posted the middle of last month (Feb), so no real idea what that means in terms of production time or release date of the tenor. I sent an email the other day to HMS asking if they had any news on release date. But haven't heard back form them yet.

Can't decide if I should wait for the Opio or just break down and find the money (somehow) for the Koaloha tenor I really want.

View attachment 76955 View attachment 76956
View attachment 76957 View attachment 76958
View attachment 76959

I'm wondering the same. I'm hoping that the tenor makes it to HMS very soon or I'll have to bite the bullet also.

ETA has been said to be end of May. Just like that one seller said: NAMM might as well be short for "Not Available, Maybe May". :D

I guess if you're the thrifty type, get the Opio, but if you're going to always think "wish I had a Koaloha", look around and get a Koa! I would think it's "only" going to be 2-3 hundred more, if you look around. Put a WTB ad in the marketplace, you'll be surprised what might pop up! Good luck! :shaka:

my guess is the tenor is going to come in at around $650. That would make it about 40% less expensive. If the concert is $450 then I think a couple hundred more would be in that ball park. Of course I could be dead wrong but I'll stick with my guess.

If my guess is right I'm buying one.

Last edited:
Well I called Andrew and told him that if they are up to his standards to just ship me one when they get in. So this is my nod to the K brands. Not made in Hawaii but if the quality is about the same I really don't care much at all about that. I made it to an early retirement by not spending money I don't have to. (free tip that can change your future)

my guess is the tenor is going to come in at around $650. That would make it about 40% less expensive. If the concert is $450 then I think a couple hundred more would be in that ball park. Of course I could be dead wrong but I'll stick with my guess.

If my guess is right I'm buying one.
you can sometimes find a used Koaloha tenor for around $650. If I remember correctly there was one in the marketplace for that. it went quickly. I love the tone of the Koalohas, I just finished playing my concert which I set up low G. it is brilliant. the bridge is starting it's tilt twards the neck, which is a problem I've had with other Koalohas , BUT that may be the trade off for such a lightly braced uke and how they get so much sound out of them.

Top Bottom