is my kona worth it?

k*****n

Reaction score
i'm just starting with my uke...bought a kona on ebay.

i'm loving the feel of the small instrument and happy sound.

but i wonder if anyone knows about this brand. should i bail and get a higher quality right away? is this as good as a "lower-end" uke will be (under $100)?

any advice would be welcomed.

i'm thrilled to be getting callouses. : )

UAS already? :D No advice -- it wouldn't help anyway. You're hooked.

Yes, it is worth the effort.

Yes, your uke is worth keeping and playing.

No, you need ever feel embarrassed about playing a $100 uke.

Yes, you will one day "need" to get another uke.

Yes, you will, by that time, have a better understanding of what more you are getting with another uke.

No, you will not throw your old uke away.

Yes, Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome is a state of mine.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone gets "the right" uke the first time. It's a learning process. IMO you need to own and play several before you decide what fits you best (neck, scale, body size, wood etc.), and how much you want to spend. I'm still plinking away on inexpensive ukes before I commit to purchasing a custom, or even mid-range, model.

Your inexpensive Uke becomes your car/backpack Uke so you can play while sitting at red lights/drive thru's, the one you let friends play and so on....

Play away!!!!!!

Your inexpensive Uke becomes your car/backpack Uke so you can play while sitting at red lights/drive thru's, the one you let friends play and so on....

Play away!!!!!!
yes, i already play while waiting on trains....and i'm a real sight when i turn on my ella jenkins cd and play along.

my 11 year old is MORTIFIED.

i've read about replacing strings that come on cheap ukes. for the record, this is a $25 uke, not a $100 uke.

i had a dream that i got a new one and the sound was so different...better.

anyway, any tips on getting new strings? what brand?

"is my kona worth it?"

The real question is "Are you worth your Kona?".

Sure, there are so many nice instruments out there, but can you play them? Since you're a beginner, stay with what you have until your talent outgrows your instrument.

Like F. Zappa said, " Shut up and play yer ukulele".

Top Bottom