Finally signed up...

jer

Reaction score
Hey folks. I read this forum a lot lately, but decided I'd go ahead and register and maybe contribute a little here and there. I do a lot more reading than posting on forums generally.
I tend to read this section of the site most, so I thought I'd post here.

Just a little background: My first stringed instrument was guitar about 20 years ago (I'm a couple of years from 40 now). Eventually the ukulele caught my attention. It was in the early years of the Magic Fluke company. I grabbed one of those from Elderly Instruments back in the day. I've gone back and forth between ukes and guitars over the years and sometimes had both at once. I try to keep my number of instruments down pretty low these days.
Right now I'm an uke only guy...Okay I do play a home-made diddley bow too. :)
I've done A LOT of buying, selling, and trading over the years but I'm trying to get out of that now...this site won't help with that I'm sure. ha.

Just for reference I have at least briefly owned, or tried out quite a bit, the following ukes (I can't remember all the model numbers for certain):
Fluke concert, Flea soprano, Koaloha soprano (back when you could get one for $300 along with that orange lined chipboard case), Risa uke solids (soprano, concert, tenor), Blue Star Konablaster deluxe tenor electric, Bugsgear electric tenor, Ko'olau CE electric tenor, Pono Tenor, Lehua tenor, Lanikai concert spruce top, Vineyard concert, Martin S1, Martin C1K, Martin T1K, Cocobolo concert, Blackbird tenor (one of the original ones I got as a used demo model), Loprinzi tenor.
I may be forgetting some, but that's what I could remember. I've been at this for a while. It has been a while since I've had my hands on most of those so I can't remember everything about them.
As for what I have now, I think I'll keep that to myself for now because there's a chance I might put some blind sound tests up at some point for fun.

I also do setup work on my own instruments. I started learning how to do that quite a few years ago. I got a good bit of my education through forums and Frank Ford's Frets.com . He was even kind enough to answer some questions for me back in the day.

I think that's about all I'll say.

I did want to share a youtube link. I've watched uke vids on youtube since the early days of them popping up more often.
I'd never even heard of this band called Benoit & la Lune. From what I gather, they are French. I don't speak a word of French..No wait. I do speak one word... OUI. .. I have no clue what they're singing about (Edit: Wait, I heard some English words listening again..hm) , but I can't believe their videos haven't gotten more views. I've never seen a guy make a soprano uke look cooler..or sound wilder.. He plays what appears to be an acoustic soprano with a pickup and other than the normal clean fingerpicking and strumming sounds he gets some crazy electric guitar-like sounds and sometimes even harmonica-like tones... This isn't my usual kind of music, but I can appreciate it because it's pretty creative and I've never seen that type of uke used quite like this. His tree limb ukulele rack is also pretty awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVnlR1ET7EM

That's all folks. Hope you all have a good day.

Last edited:
Welcome to UU.....you've had lots of ukes!
Now I'll be buggered all night wondering WTH uke you have.....
I hope you get UAS....
(LOL JK)

Thank you all for the welcome! :) Hippie: I've seen some of your youtube vids. You're very talented!

I'm trying to put UAS behind me, Nickie. Notice the word "try" lol. I guess you could call it UAS for me.. Hm. I've usually only had a couple of ukes at the most at any given time. A lot of the ones I've tried were on a trial basis from various places and I sent them back. Others were traded or sold. Maybe the term for what I'm trying to get over is more like "UATSOTAGAS" Ukulele Acquisition Then Sell Or Trade And Get Another Syndrome. haha. It was more of a "the grass is greener on the other side" kind of thing and trying to find that one perfect instrument...Of course I know that doesn't exist now.

I remember a guy on an older uke board who had a bunch of ukes and decided to sell them all and keep only one inexpensive one. He mentioned something about how it gets to a point where the ukes are owning you instead of the other way around. I thought that was profound (I should get extra points for rhyming). I'm not sure if he stuck to that or not.
I've found I'm not comfortable owning super expensive ukes (to me $1000 plus qualifies for that)...even the super durable ones like the Blackbird I had for a bit. I did get it for well off the new price and sold it for about the same at least. On the other hand, I'm not comfortable with ukes made places with poor labor conditions either. I'm not trying to start a debate there. I'm sure that has been covered here and everyone has their own opinions and that's fine by me.
I've been becoming much more of a minimalist over the past couple of years so owning a lot of them isn't even appealing to me now, even if I had the space and money. I do enjoy seeing the collections of others though. I've noticed some people here have some really awesome collections.

Welcome to UU!

Welcome. I've curtailed my UAS, selling off a few. Haven't had the urge to buy, just play as much as I can, especially small bass.

welcome jer, looking forward to seeing your blind tests...

Welcome to UU! So, do you think you will stick with ukulele now, or eventually go back to guitar?

Welcome - and thanks! I hadn't heard of Benoit & La Lune before: I've just listened to some of their other recordings on Reverbnation and become a fan :) Enjoy UU.

Welcome. I've curtailed my UAS, selling off a few. Haven't had the urge to buy, just play as much as I can, especially small bass.
Thanks. You just had to mention a small bass. ha. I admit that new one The Magic Fluke company is coming out with caught my eye.

welcome jer, looking forward to seeing your blind tests...
Thanks!

Welcome to UU! So, do you think you will stick with ukulele now, or eventually go back to guitar?
Thanks, Jenny. I hate to say for 100% sure because I don't want to eat my words. I have a lot of hours into learning what I did know on guitar...mainly just strumming chords and fingerpicking within them with some light lead type stuff...so it's a big leap for me to just have uke for now. It is leaving my comfort zone, or a more comfortable zone at least. I don't know as many chords on it, but I know enough. I think once I get more comfortable with uke, I might not ever go back to guitar. In my mind, the uke is really the ideal instrument to me. I love the size and I also love that it has four strings...and even that the strings are nylon or similar. It's nice to not really have to worry over fret wear. Uke is just such a simple and beautiful instrument. Thanks to youtube I've seen such a variety of things with uke I would've never came across otherwise that make it even more appealing.

Welcome - and thanks! I hadn't heard of Benoit & La Lune before: I've just listened to some of their other recordings on Reverbnation and become a fan :) Enjoy UU.
Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying them. I really think they should get more views than what I've noticed they have. I just looked them up on Reverbnation and I'm listening to the "The Moon and the Butterfly" right now. I hadn't seen this. It's interesting hear them with multiple tracks of the uke. I like it.

Top Bottom