Pahulele - backpack/travel uke

ThatNeilGuy

Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this is the wrong board for this, but i came across this Kickstarter today and wanted to share it here.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1834882610/pahulele-unique-backpacker-travel-ukulele-made-in/

Reid Shigemura is a Hawaiian luthier. His company is Ho'okani Music comapny and I bought a gorgeous tenor from him a year ago. I saw today that he's launched a Kickstarter for a new cigar box-style travel uke he's calling a Pahulele. I am going to have a hard time resisting buying one myself.

Anyway, apologies again if this is the wrong board for this, but i thought you guys might at least enjoy watching his video.

[video]https://d2pq0u4uni88oo.cloudfront.net/projects/1580481/video-506614-h264_high.mp4[/video]

Thanks for sharing this info.

I emailed Reid a few minutes ago.

I got a Soprano Pahulele in July (2014) - set screw tuning system, and more recently got
a Tenor Pahulele (gear tuner model) with solid back panel.

I'm experimenting with the wear and tear on the strings, slackening and retightening, after
repeated changes between storage mode and play mode. I'm carrying my Tenor in a
shoulder/computer bag so I can assemble the Pahulele in realtime song circle situations.

I like the flat neck design of the Tenor model with its slightly wider fretboard.

I think the Pahulele sounds OK to very good... for a plywood box! I think its unique sound
will grow on those who play it... and the fact that one of the most vulnerable points in
any ukulele's construction (the neck-body join) is completely addressed and eliminated
by the unique design (neck removal and storage inside the body) appeals to me :)

I hope the Pahulele gets distributed widely so many of our UU family will be able to see
for themselves what it's all about :)

keep uke'in' everyone!

;) you beat me to it. Ive tried the Pahulele in person last week and I was so surprised at the great sound it made. I played the tenor model with the laser engraved Honu tattoo and was blown away by the sound quality. His regular Koa ukuleles are very nice as well and very affordable for a Hawaii made Hawaiian koa ukulele. Will support a fellow ukulele luthier for sure.

Aloha Tangimango,

some of my fellow ukers (members of STRUM - Seattle's Totally-Relaxed Ukulele Musicians) are planning on renting a house in Ewa Beach in July to attend the Ukulele Festival. Hope to see you there... if not sooner! I'm planning on returning to HNL in early July. :) We'll be jamming at the HMS Kanikapila tent right next to the HMS display tent during the Festival, Sunday July 19th.

I'll try to remember to keep you informed when we get there so you can join us if you have the time and the desire :)

we're planning on a group lesson with Uncle Kimo Hussey one evening with a potluck... I'm sure you will be welcome to attend.

keep uke'in',

Last edited:
very interesting design. How do you actually take the neck off? Is there a video showing the removal and storage of the neck inside the body?

yes, the video (actually several of them) are on YouTube... just search for Pahulele.
The longest video shows Reid reassembling the Pahulele from 'storage' mode back to
'play' mode. This involves rearranging the neck and tuning the instrument using the
original set screw tuning system. (I think Reid is actually using the natural finish
Soprano I purchased in July, 2014! :) )

I recently purchased a Tenor model with gear tuners, but ordered a solid back panel,
to replace the one with the cutouts to access the tuners. I noticed that the guy in Japan
who plays "Whispering" had a solid back model and I thought a solid back would give me
the best sound possible :)

I am currently carrying the Pahulele in my 'computer' shoulder bag daily because
I'm experimenting with string resilience after repeated slackening and tightening and
also trying to get used to assembling and disassembling the Pahulele in real time
song circle situations.

My Soprano Pahulele pretty much stays in 'play' mode near my desk for easier use :)

I've suggested to Reid that he might consider using exotic wood laminate soundboards
to enhance the appearance, desirability, and pride of ownership factors.

I like the utilitarian and functional design of the Pahulele, but I think people would
be drawn to it more if it had a more familar exotic wood grain appearance.

Enjoy watching the videos. Be advised, it was after watching them that I decided to purchase one! :)

keep uke'in',

Last edited:
Thanks Uncle Rod, I had a blast at last years festival. Got to meet a lot of builders and players like Uncle Kimo.

Aloha Tangimango,

some of my fellow ukers (members of STRUM - Seattle's Totally-Relaxed Ukulele Musicians) are planning on renting a house in Ewa Beach in July to attend the Ukulele Festival. Hope to see you there... if not sooner! I'm planning on returning to HNL in early July. :) We'll be jamming at the HMS Kanikapila tent right next to the HMS display tent during the Festival, Sunday July 19th.

I'll try to remember to keep you informed when we get there so you can join us if you have the time and the desire :)

we're planning on a group lesson with Uncle Kimo Hussey one evening with a potluck... I'm sure you will be welcome to attend.

keep uke'in',

Hey Tangimango,

I noticed that Reid is having a Party at his new facility in Kalihi (?) with special guest artists.
I hope you can attend... and then report back to all of us!

There appears to be conflicting dates, one site says Sunday the 15th and another says Monday the 16th!

keep uke'in', Brah,
and I hope to see you at the Ukulele Festival in July! :)

Top Bottom