Custom Kanile'a on the way

NatalieS

Reaction score
I took a break from ukulele for a while where I really got into guitar and tenor guitar. I recently returned to uke and have found that the tenor size is a great fit for me now, both tonally and size-wise. I prefered soprano before, but coming back in the other direction (from guitar), soprano felt way too small and quiet.

I have been drawn consistently to Kanile’a ukes ever since I started on a soprano about 8 years ago. My mom also had an amazing-sounding concert Kanile’a, and I have spent a lot ( a LOT) of time on my current super tenor Kanile’a. After some thought I finally decided to take the plunge and order a custom Kanile’a from Joe and Kristen Souza. I wanted something very specific to make it personal for me. I am so excited and think this will be a great fit for me.

I ordered a premium curly koa tenor with a thick abalone rosette and ebony binding on the front and back. I chose an ebony-faceplate slotted headstock, ebony bridge, and radiused ebony fretboard. What I’m perhaps most excited about is the fretboard will have no dots but will instead feature a single honu turtle. I also decided to install a passive pick-up.

Joe has been so friendly and accomodating during the design process. I am happy to be back in the hobby and look forward to having a completely personal uke. I ordered last week, and the wait time is about 8 weeks, so I'll share updates as I get them.

Last edited:
Sounds great! I'm really surprised at how short the wait time is, though I'm sure it will seem very looooooonngg to you. ;-)

Well, that sounds lovely. I look forward to updates. It sounds stunning. I'm wondering, what kind of passive pickup will be installed?

Great to see you back here Natalie. And glad to see that you are back with the uke as well. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Just when you thought you were out..... a custom Kanile'a tenor pulls you back in. Great choice. I have a 2nd hand Kanile'a custom tenor, and was very impressed with the sound and feel. Kanile'a has the highest finish quality and beautiful woods.

Will you get any pictures during the build?

Congratulations. It sounds like it will be lovely. Joe and Kristen Souza are such wonderful people, and Kanile'as are great ukes. Eight weeks is a super short turn around time for a custom too, that is great. I look forward to seeing the finished product. :)

Thanks for the welcome back, guys. It really does feel good to return to uke. I agree, the wait time sounded pretty short to me as well! I am pleasantly surprised about that, but won't complain if it is longer. I'm not sure if I'll get build pictures along the way, but I hope so!

Ukejenny, I'm not sure what kind of pickup it is, but it will be factory installed at Kanile'a-- if anyone has an idea of what type they use.

Wickedwahine, it's good to see you again. :) I know you've always been an advocate for Kanile'a and I loved seeing your islands model. I agree, Joe and Kristen are about as nice as anyone can get. Joe made some subtle design suggestions based on what I was looking for that I think will really enhance the instrument. I told him I was looking for a sleek, lightweight feel and appearance, so he is using a slim profile headstock, Gotoh Stealth tuners, and a black nut/saddle rather than ivory-colored. I am so excited to see the end product.

Awesome choice. Which slotthead style did you order? How about there new scoop cutaway and arm bezel, just beautiful.

Happy to see you return to the ukulele and UU!

Aloha Natalie,
Great to see you back here and the ukulele, I agree kanilea and Joe and Kirsten are the nicest people around.
Congratulations on the good choice and hope to see a video soon when you get it. Happy Strummings

tangimango, I didn't know they offered this option, but I ordered their regular profile headstock, just slimmer. The other choices (the cobra, and the crown-top) didn't really seem like me, so I was thrilled they had a thin version of the classic style.

It's so nice to see everyone again! I'll be sure to make some videos when it comes along. I need to figure out an amp for this uke too. Any suggestions?

I should mention, I got the idea for the fretboard honu from another Kanile'a uke I saw online. Here is that one:

m.-Whole-Kanilea-Ukulele-2-580x482.jpg

Last edited:
That is a short wait time. I'd like the turtle on frets 1 & 2 with air bubbles at frets 3,5,7 & (2 at) 12

Congratulations on what sounds like it's going to be a beautiful ukulele and welcome back to UU. I've had the chance to meet Joe on one of his roadshows here in San Francisco, and he seems like a delightful person. I wish I loved Kanile'a more than I do - the sound is exquisite but the neck isn't totally comfortable for my hands - but I know they're quality instruments and I love listening to others playing them.

I have migrated a little to tenor guitars, although I remain an enthusiastic ukulele player. Are you still playing a tenor guitar? I have what might be the best of both worlds, a steel string baritone ukulele, tuned DGBE (tenor guitar Chicago tuning), with a 21 inch scale rather than the more typical for tenor guitar 23 or 24 inch scale.

Can't wait to see your New Uke Day thread!

I'm not playing tenor guitar a lot anymore. Ko'olau put out a steel-stringed prototype that sounded incredible on video, but they only made one and I haven't come across anything like it since. I bought Pono's "big baritone" nylon-stringed tenor guitar but sold it because I really prefer the sound of steel strings for DGBE. Then I ended up going back to acoustic guitar. I'm still figuring out some of the unique things about guitar, like in some chords you only play the bottom four strings anyway, and in some you play all six. Fingerpicking six strings is still a challenge for me, but it's a fun challenge.

Can't wait to see it. :drool:

Nice Nat and congrats

Kanile'a is a wonderful uku, good choice. I only sold mine last week and already missing it. I wonder if I had done the right thing?

It's gonna be a stunner Natalie. Congratulations on a wonderful and considered choice. Really looking forward to seeing and hearing her. And as others have said, it's awesome that you're back playing the ukulele and spending more time here on the forum. I still remember you introducing me to this place and will always be grateful to you for that. :)

Welcome back!! Congrats on your custom Kanile'a uke. Sounds like it will be a sight to see, looking forward to the pictures!
Kanile'a is a really great uke, love mine.

Top Bottom