What are the Brightest, Twangiest E and A Strings You Have Played?

rappsy

Reaction score
I have a KoAloha Long Neck (Super) concert that I love. It has a wonderfully full range and tremendous projection. As it is Koa, the full range isn't accentuated in any one area.

What strings have you used, both with the E and the A, that will give the sound a little more twang at the high end? I don't want a full soprano sound, but I would like to get a bit closer to it from the high strings.

I play re-entrant and I also don't mind buying the whole set for the one or two strings if they are not sold separately. Would prefer something a little thinner unless it's just not possible to get the volume out of it.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I have found South Coast medium have a nice bright sound in the E and A string. The E string on the HM has always sounded a bit flat to me, tried two seperate times. Martin M 630 (tenor gauge) have a bright sounding E and A but the C string is thuddy. Oasis bright are not bad either.

Dirk from South Coast says all things being equal a smaller diameter string will sound brighter than it's larger diameter counter part. I have found this to be true with SC, HM vs Mediums. Might think of trying some concert gauge. Don't be afraid to mix in an E & A string from a different make or set to find the sound you are after, as long as they are all floro. I replaced the E string on the SC, HM with an Oasis bright and it worked out great.

Aquila Reds and D'Addario titaniums are both bright but are completely different than floro so mixing and matching is out of the picture

Last edited:
I agree with Dave, Aquila reds are the brightest string I've tried, bordering on brash on a cedar top. What strings do you have? Seems like I heard Koaloha uses Worths? Worth clears should be pretty bright.

Why is the mixing of Fluros and non so bad together?

Florocardon are usually smaller in diameter and higher tension so it creates a very unbalanced or mismatched feeling under your fingers. I have used a low G wound 3rd and 4th string with titanium E and A strings.

Florocardon are usually smaller in diameter and higher tension so it creates a very unbalanced or mismatched feeling under your fingers. I have used a low G wound 3rd and 4th string with titanium E and A strings.

Makes sense. I hate when things make sense. :mad: It throws off my reason for doing things, AND, when I am told I can't or it won't work, I usually try. :cool:

As Alfred E. Neuman of Mad Magazine says: WHY BE NORMAL?

Top Bottom