Question about Islander GL6 models!

BBJohn

Reaction score
Anyone has some experiences with the Islander GL6 Spruce top model?
There are couple videos about GL6 but I only found one video about GL6 SA ( the hms one). The laminated acacia one is really price friendly, but i'm wondering how much better is the spruce top version? Is it worth the $110 extra? ($231 vs $340)
Also, how is the active pickup they install on these model?
Some suggestions plz :D

Sincerely,
John

You will get excellent advice here, from many knowledgeable people. Here's mine:

As Hawaii Music Supply carries both Gretsch and Islander, (plus others) give them a call. They will answer all your questions, and it seems they will be straight with you even if it means they will make less money. If you have no experience with them, you will be amazed at their customer service, even before the purchase. In addition, if you buy from them, you can request a careful set-up. They can do an excellent job and save you the money and down-time of taking it to your local shop.

On a full laminate I wouldn't expect that much difference between spruce and anything else but it is an Islander so maybe I'm wrong here. Something about the Islander attracts me and I've always wanted one just to see what they sound like. In April I'll start collecting SS and then I can get one if I'm still that nutty.

Btw I own the gretsch solid top hog cutaway. It's going for just over $200 and it's a wonderful and beautiful uke. Most of my ukes are Pono and Risa type with substantial price tags. But just maybe if I was on a desert island with one uke I might take that gretsch. I like it that much and for the money it's the best uke I own.

Last edited:
Um, isn't the Islander GL-6 baritone sized, whereas the Gretsch is tenor-sized? The size difference is a huge factor. I can't wait to get a bari-sized guilele to replace my Cordoba, since I find the tenor size and string spacing is just too constrictive for playing guitar chords and fingerpicking, particularly up the neck, even though I mostly play tenor ukes even to the top reaches of the neck.

Aww do you know what issue was it? I was thinking to buy it online then take it to a local shop for setup! The 9126 was in my mind too until I found the islander gl6 xD (and HMS doesn't have them in stock too :(

I ordered an Islander GL6 from HMS and requested low action. Andrew called me up and informed me that they could not get the action low enough on the GL6 because there wasn't enough saddle left to drop the action down to an acceptable level. They (HMS) subsequently quit carrying the Islander line due to quality control issues they experienced in that particular batch.

I want to again give thanks to HMS for caring enough about their customers that they would take time to call and explain their concern over playablility and the customer's satisfaction. They could very well have shipped the instrument I ordered knowing that I would not be happy with it but they did not, they took the high road and I sincerely appreciate it...!!! BTW, I did take a store credit and spent it pretty quickly on another instrument.

The Gretsch is a great instrument. Another BTW, the Gretsch Roots instruments have a one piece neck, not stacked and the headstock is not scarfed. Small point maybe but it shows a quality level not normally found in imported instruments.

Top Bottom