HELP! Cracked Uke

Marty4285

Reaction score
My Uke fell behind the couch and I didn't know. So when I sat down on the couch it popped a hole in it. Can this be fixed?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 175
Ouch! That's a bummer.

"Can it be fixed", I'm not luthier, but I'm going to say "yes" based on the repair work I've seen on other ukuleles.

"Is it worth the money for me to get it fixed" or "Can I fix it myself" are probably the questions you will end up needing to answer.

how can it be fixed?

Yes, so if it can be fix by myself how do I go about doing this?

Ouch! That's a bummer.

"Can it be fixed", I'm not luthier, but I'm going to say "yes" based on the repair work I've seen on other ukuleles.

"Is it worth the money for me to get it fixed" or "Can I fix it myself" are probably the questions you will end up needing to answer.

I'd try the tech forum for repairs on this one. Or google it because there are probably several youtubes that will work for this.

If it's an expensive uke I'd go to a luthier.

And let me ask you this. Is there any noticable difference in the sound and play?

What type of ukulele is it?

Sorry for your loss

Thankfully it's not an expensive one. It's a Lanikai, the sailor jerry one. It wasn't that expensive but I can't afford another one right now and I really love my ukulele. The sound is off now too. It just doesn't sound right. It'll be at least three months before I can drop enough cash to get what I really want... The spalted mango Lanikai. Thanks for the replies guys!

Depending on the location, it might make a nice start to a side sound port... lemonade out of lemons...

I would try to repair it yourself then, look on youtube maybe

You could duct tape it, or if you wanted to be fancy, you could find some sticker and put over it.

I like the idea of a side sound port.....if it were mine....

I turned a crack into a soundhole on an old Roy Smeck that was broken in shipping. It's now the loudest vintage uke I own...to me.

I think a Sailor Jerry uke would benefit from some good hard wear. He didn't seem to appreciate new things.

GI Joe didn't get plastic surgery to cover his scar... ;)

I would try to press it outward slightly from the inside, with some rounded blunt object if you can't get your hands into it, and then I'd put a small fillet of wood glue into whatever crevice remains inside with a small patch of the glue glaze over the area. You may have to get creative to apply it. I might also put a surgical fillet of wood glue onto the crack on the outside. Use a toothpick or an old pencil point or very small artist brush you don't expect to use again, and maybe thin the glue. Do one side at a time and let dry. There will be a small mark but I don't think the crack makes a lot of difference in the playability.

Some clearcoat or varnish might work as well or better than the glue, and you may be able to "spot" match the color of the wood to minimize the mark.

Clearcoat spray paint can be sprayed into the cap and brushed or spotted on with a point. Don't blotch it all over the outside though.

Last edited:
I agree with all above replies. Plus that may I suggest you to somehow cover the damaged area (the hole?) and try again if it still sounds off. If not, then its easy to get back the beloved old sounds. Otherwise, a side sound port would be a nice bonus.

I'm not buying that the sound is "off." I think you think it's off, but sides just don't matter that much when it comes to the instrument's tone. I did notice what looks like the top or back separating from the side in the upper right of your photo. That could affect tone, if the top isn't vibrating or the back isn't reflecting the sound the same. Or is that just an optical illusion/funny lighting in the photo?

Top Bottom