Having a hard time deciding, could use some opinions from all the experts here on UU.

dlknight

Reaction score
I am planning on getting a tenor. I currently have a concert Cocobolo, and a Bruko no 6 soprano. I am not against used either. I do not have any where within a 4 hour drive one way to be able to check these out myself. I will be ordering from HMS, UKE Republic, or MIM. None of those stores carry each one.

So my price range is roughly $400. I have been eyeballing the Gretsch g9120-SK all solid KOA it is one beautiful looking instrument and the only one of the bunch that is all solid KOA. then there are 2 Pono's, both solid Mango. One is the Pineapple , the other is the regular tenor. The pineapple at HMS is quite a bit more expensive than UKE Republic but at HMS it comes with a hard case. Then there is the Pepe Romero Tiny Tenor, which I really like it's design but it is $500 a little out of my price range. If it is that much better than the rest I could wait a couple more weeks if I had to.There is one non tenor that I have read a lot about and that's the Koaloha Opio concert. I have not seen it in a tenor size and not sure they make them in that size yet.

My favorite looking is the Gretsch, I would like to know where they are made though. I have watch as many you tube videos as I can find, and all clips on HMS. I am sure any of these will sound really good. Your experiences and expertise will really help me out.

Please feel free to make your own suggestions. I do a lot of research but have a hard time deciding.

http://youtu.be/DWuFJji7VHU

Respected UUer Jay says Gretsch is good (at least the hog version), and it seems like it's calling to you, even after watching the videos and doing research, so I'd say to go for it.

I am planning on getting a tenor. I currently have a concert Cocobolo, and a Bruko no 6 soprano. I am not against used either. I do not have any where within a 4 hour drive one way to be able to check these out myself. I will be ordering from HMS, UKE Republic, or MIM. None of those stores carry each one.

So my price range is roughly $400. I have been eyeballing the Gretsch g9120-SK all solid KOA it is one beautiful looking instrument and the only one of the bunch that is all solid KOA. then there are 2 Pono's, both solid Mango. One is the Pineapple , the other is the regular tenor. The pineapple at HMS is quite a bit more expensive than UKE Republic but at HMS it comes with a hard case. Then there is the Pepe Romero Tiny Tenor, which I really like it's design but it is $500 a little out of my price range. If it is that much better than the rest I could wait a couple more weeks if I had to.There is one non tenor that I have read a lot about and that's the Koaloha Opio concert. I have not seen it in a tenor size and not sure they make them in that size yet.

My favorite looking is the Gretsch, I would like to know where they are made though. I have watch as many you tube videos as I can find, and all clips on HMS. I am sure any of these will sound really good. Your experiences and expertise will really help me out.

Please feel free to make your own suggestions. I do a lot of research but have a hard time deciding.

I have the concert version and very happy with it. Worth a look
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4L9TihdyEA

I recommend trying the Gretsch as they have pretty thick necks imo.

This is an excellent point. I have a Pono which most say have a deep neck. I also own a Gretsch G9120 laminate mahogany tenor and that neck is DEEPER than the Pono or anything else out there. I don't mind it but those who have slim necks on their other ukes might have a hard time transitioning from one uke to the other.

I waited and waited for the Koa gretsch to come back in stock so I could buy one. I dearly love my gretsch solid top hog. BTW that Hog is a wonderful instrument for around $200. Easily worth up to twice that in my mind. I'd go Gretsch and I would love to hear a review of that Koa model.

This is an excellent point. I have a Pono which most say have a deep neck. I also own a Gretsch G9120 laminate mahogany tenor and that neck is DEEPER than the Pono or anything else out there. I don't mind it but those who have slim necks on their other ukes might have a hard time transitioning from one uke to the other.

I do love those fat necks. I have a moku with a paper thin neck and I really don't like it. The instrument sounds very nice but I hardly touch it.

I thought I would post this link to the HMS site and this page should have the video so if anyone wants they can listen to it.http://www.theukulelesite.com/gretsch-all-solid-koa-tenor-ukulele-pack-9120-sk.html well if you click on the description link that will take you to the video.

You are obviously in love with this one. Go with your heart. I had actually listened to this earlier today, very nice. Now hit the "buy it now button" :cheers:

You didn't think you going to get talked out of buying something did you? This is the biggest group of enablers on the planet

Last edited:
You are obviously in love with this one. Go with your heart. I had actually listened to this earlier today, very nice. Now hit the "buy it now button" :cheers:

You didn't think you going to get talked out of buying something did you? This is the biggest group of enablers on the planet

Yes I am in love with the beauty of the Gretsch. I just don't want that to cloud my decision.

Now there is a Martin T1K for sale in the Marketplkace with a really nice price.

Yes I am in love with the beauty of the Gretsch. I just don't want that to cloud my decision.

Now there is a Martin T1K for sale in the Marketplkace with a really nice price.

That's a killer deal. Buy it, try it and resell for at least that if you decide you don't like it.

Well I ordered the Gretsch late Sunday night. Now just waiting on HMS to do set up and ship.

I think you made the right choice. My husband's solid mahogany Gretsch is a great instrument. I gave it to him the first Christmas Gretsch came out with the Roots collection. It was the solid mahogany deluxe, I think. They have since replaced it. I would love to get a koa Gretsch for my husband. Can't wait to see it and hear it once you get it!!!

Top Bottom