NUD Kamaka HF-38

JonThysell

Reaction score
Went to the music store, was thinking about getting a guitar. Spent a good hour trying different ones, nylon and steel, even found a decent classical with a 21" scale that I was planning to buy.

Decided, oh, while I'm here, might as well check out the ukuleles... and fell in love with this 8 string Kamaka. It just oozes that Hawaiian sound. Tried a Pono Mango 8 string that was there, and it didn't even come close.

WP_20150308_001.jpg WP_20150308_002.jpg WP_20150308_003.jpg

I've been in the market for 6 or 8 string, and they had both, so had the rare opportunity to try them side by side. The 8 was the winner (for today at least).

Best thing, it wasn't until I was back on the highway that I realized that I'd completely forgotten about the guitar!

That is truly outstanding looking and if it sounds as good as it looks, I'm sure it does, you have a real keeper. Congratulations

Curious...how are those typically tuned?

High g low g, high c, low c, unison e, unison a.

Very chimey. I love it. Though I wasn't always a fan of 6 strings (with their low a) I've learned that with the right strumming they're not bad. Looking into maybe stringing my 8 with High g, low g, unison c, unison e, low a high a. Any thoughts?

Congratulations......love my Kamaka 8 sting as well!!!!
BTW....your uke is a beauty!!

You have a very enviable collection.

Jeff

Thanks! It wasn't until recently that I decided to migrate my collection toward almost exclusively Hawaiian-made ukes. All of my ukes have been cased up for the winter, and it wasn't until taking them all back out and hanging them up that I realized how close I already was!

That said, this 8 stringer is now the most expensive uke I've ever bought, so look to the Marketplace soon as I start to offload some of the ukes that I haven't been playing to pay for it.

I'm in serious lust over your curvatious Hawaiian beauty. I'm on my 2nd 8 string, an Ohana that sounds great, but I will own the Kamaka one day. I think many underestimate the versatility of the 8 string... It is easy to use the octave strings individually when fingerpicking, and it adds a tone of range to the instrument.

Top Bottom