Southcoast ML/O-NWM strings

flailingfingers

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
These strings seem interesting. Anyone have experience with them? They use nylon wrapped metal for the top 3 strings with a usual smooth-wound 4th string. Sometimes I long for the sound of metal strings and thought this might be close for my Collings tenor.

I tried them and the sound/sustain was indeed pretty incredible. They are wound with nylon, so there's a definite texture to them, and like the site suggests, once you put them on don't expect to be able to take them off and reuse them as the nylon winding comes undone at the ends. Unfortunately I tried it on a not so great tenor (an old Kala that ended up having some warping issues) so I don't know if I can say I got the best out of them.

They are kind of expensive to experiment with since you can't move them around.

I tried them and the sound/sustain was indeed pretty incredible. They are wound with nylon, so there's a definite texture to them, and like the site suggests, once you put them on don't expect to be able to take them off and reuse them as the nylon winding comes undone at the ends. Unfortunately I tried it on a not so great tenor (an old Kala that ended up having some warping issues) so I don't know if I can say I got the best out of them.

Pretty good description, Jon!

The other option is the HML-CM set. I'd put them even closer to a "steel string" sound. The NWMs to me fall somewhere in between. Maybe you could say the sustain of steel, but a little smoother sound. But don't try to move the CMs around either.

Last edited:
Just checked on the CMs. Even after reading the "materials" section I am not sure about putting them on the lightly constructed Collings. They do sound like they would deliver more of the sound I want.

I realize that I could just contact Southcoast directly with my question at this point but I figure: 1. this might be interesting to a larger UU audience and: 2. Others on the site might have experience with the strings being discussed. Thanks.

Just to be clear, it wasn't the NWM strings that caused the Kala's issues, the uke had been through a bunch of harsh humidity changes over 10 years. The first comment I got on the strings from my uke group was: That sounds amazing, but you should have tried them on a nicer uke.

I have since bought another set, just haven't decided what to put them on.

Jon,
Thanks for your input. I'm not getting much feedback on this so I'll let the thread die a natural death and contact Southcoast with the "suitable for light builds" issue on both types of strings.

I am currently using SouthCoast HML-CM on my uke, and replaced the steel 1st string with HML-FW 1st string. (Because I run out of HML-FW 2nd string) I re-use the strings, but I didn't cut any exceed string, I always circle the strings at the headstock side. I love these two string sets very much, lots of sustain, yet clear sound. I would record a sound sample for you later today. I also planned to try the ML/O-NWM sometime later, just still enjoy the current strings.

Last edited:
I just back home, recorded and uploaded the sound sample. Hope it helps.

You will find it lack of the steel string sound due to the 1st string has been replaced. If you want to hear the whole CM set, I could put the steel 1st string back and record again.

Sound Sample

Last edited:
Beau- I just replied to your PM.
What made you decide to use the flourocarbon 1st rather than the steel? Thanks for the excellent sound sample. I really like the sound. I would like to hear one with the steel 1st if that's not too much of a hassle. Are you using a pick for the most of your playing? Are you able to purchase that HML-FW 1st string by itself or do you need to buy the set? Would Southcoast do a custom set ?

Last edited:
Hammond- I just replied to your PM.
What made you decide to use the flourocarbon 1st rather than the steel? Thanks for the excellent sound sample. I really like the sound. I would like to hear one with the steel 1st if that's not too much of a hassle. Are you using a pick for the most of your playing? Are you able to purchase that HML-FW 1st string by itself or do you need to buy the set? Would Southcoast do a custom set ?
Hi flailingfingers, I didn't use pick. I have both sets, in fact I have dozen SouthCoast string sets here, from Soft Medium, Medium, Heavy Medium, Heavy, Linear/Re-entrant.

The current combination is a bit of story to tell. I was re-putting the HML-FW onto my uke, but lost the 2nd string, so I put the 2nd string from HML-CM set. Since I assume both HML-CM & HML-FW share the same 3rd & 4th strings (Dirk please correct me if its wrong).

So about the combination, I could say either way:
1. HML-FW 1st + HML-CM 2nd, 3rd & 4th
2. HML-FW 1st, 3rd & 4th + HML-CM 2nd

I will now try to change the 1st string and record the same sound sample again for you.

I believe the SouthCoast website has the option to order single strings.

Last edited:
Lovely sound, nice low and high end. Uke and strings suit each other
Thanks Osprey, it is not easy to find the proper string for this uke, he's a bit picky (or its my ears picky).

Very nice. I like that sound. Hammond, you would put those steel strings on a lightly built uke...correct?
Thanks flailingfingers, I am happy the sound sample seems helpful. To your question, I would, I trust Dirk & SouthCoast expertise. If you have concerns, send him an email or pm.:) I did and got very positive experience.

Last edited:
Just ordered both the ML/O-NWM and HML-CM. I'll try them first on my KALA keeping the strings uncut so that I may put then them on the Collings also...perhaps.

Hammond,
Tried the HML-CW first on my KALA. Definitely a steel string sound. Too much for what I want. Then I replaced them with the ML/O-NWM. Seem to be 1/2 way between the mellowness of flourocarbons and steel. I like the sound. Will keep them on the KALA. May try them on the Collings at some point. My take on this is exactly what Dirk of Southcoast suggested it would be. He knows his strings.

Hammond,
Tried the HML-CW first on my KALA. Definitely a steel string sound. Too much for what I want. Then I replaced them with the ML/O-NWM. Seem to be 1/2 way between the mellowness of flourocarbons and steel. I like the sound. Will keep them on the KALA. May try them on the Collings at some point. My take on this is exactly what Dirk of Southcoast suggested it would be. He knows his strings.
Seems you are happy with the ML/O set, it is good. :) Enjoy playing :music:

On some ukuleles the classical metal strings could sound very metallic, before the CB uke, I was also playing a Kala, they are very different. I will sure try the ML/O set later.

Top Bottom