segovia is to guitars as ? is to uke's

spazus_maximus

Reaction score
Just curious here.....

Andres Segovia is to classical guitar as ?????????? is to Ukulele

James King?

Both personally transcribe(d) Bach for their instrument and are (were) responsible for a wider acceptance of the instrument in classical music. And both are (were) pretty stinkin' good too. :D

JJ

I think ukulele JJ was referring to John King. Awesome player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7eCz8SC86U

I actually was referring to model/actress Jaime "James" King, whose uke skills are vastly underrated:

James-King142447.jpg

Okay... not really. I meant John King of course. Doh!

JJ

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm going with Jake Shimabukuro. He plays it all -- and then some. Ukulele God!

I actually was referring to model/actress Jaime "James" King, whose uke skills are vastly underrated:
I thought you meant Jamie King, whose choreography skills serve only to finance his closeted passion for the ukulele.

highlights.gif

You are all incorrect. The right answer is Aldrine Guerrero. :cool:

I wonder if Aldrine would give the nod to Jake? They are both great musicians and both good guys.

Eddie is one of Jake's influences, but Jake is much more down-to-earth. And Jake prefers ukulele to guitar (yes, he does play guitar, but not as much as Bruce).

Sure, but I'm not saying that Jake is the same as Eddie. Only that they are analogous in terms of their respective instruments. Jake is to uke as Eddie is to guitar (rather than as Segovia is to guitar, which was what was proposed earlier).

I'm still sticking with John King as being the Segovia of the uke. And while I'm at it:

George Formby is to uke what Buster Keaton is to movies.

Arthur Godfrey is to uke what Lawrence Welk is to the accordion.

Lyle Ritz is to uke what Toots Thielmans is to harmonica.

Roy Smeck is to uke what Les Paul is to guitar.

Ukulele JJ is to uke what Random Orbital Sander JJ is to the random orbital sander. :D

Any others?

JJ

My vote's for Deach! He's deached so many ukes there's gotta be a good-sized spike in ukulele players (as well as those who would uke it forward b/c of his generosity)!

My vote's for Deach! He's deached so many ukes there's gotta be a good-sized spike in ukulele players (as well as those who would uke it forward b/c of his generosity)!

Deach is to the uke what John Chapman is to apples.

:)

JJ

Top Bottom