Blackbird tenor

Robin Harrison

Reaction score
Always a nice day when a new 'ukulele arrives and my tenor arrived on Friday.
Looks great and is clearly well made but the low wound g separated when coming up to pitch.
I put on 2 different sets of quality strings over the weekend but they have done nothing for it.......no resonance and a dull flat tone.
I emailed Joe at Blackbird and he said they use Elixir nano-web 80/20 lights.
So 2 things.
1....Online I can't find these strings that are specific for ukes. Are they guitar strings, and if so, which ones do you use?
2....has anyone tried any other brands with success.

Thanks for any help
Robin

Call hms, their blackbirds sound amazing, they might do an extra set up and change the strings, one of the sweetest punchy ukes I've played. Now you know why I
Buy directly from them, and had two of my friends also. Even one from California

Last edited:
do the blackbird ukes, clara etc., need particular strings, i had thought they would be quite flexible in this regard.

Congrats Robin

I think maybe narrow down a few different strings and see which sounds best.

My Kiwaya hopefully arrives today, I have no idea what it will sound like. Hopefully, I won't need to alter the strings.

I have played both the tenor and Clara with PHD's and Living Waters.
Both are awesome.

Chuck in NY my Clara does well with a number of different sets. I've had Oasis, both high & low G; Martin M600; and now Living Water high G. I like the Living Waters best so far. I'm thinking of trying a net of Oasis Warm low G next.

I emailed Joe at Blackbird and he said they use Elixir nano-web 80/20 lights.
So 2 things.
1....Online I can't find these strings that are specific for ukes. Are they guitar strings, and if so, which ones do you use?
2....has anyone tried any other brands with success.

Thanks for any help
Robin
Yes, that is a guitar string.
You can buy singles here: http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/elplst0.html I'm not sure which size they use for the low G. I highly recommend that seller.

FYI: Unless something has changed, Elixir gets their strings from D'addario then applies their coating and rebrands it as Elixir. Also, Elixir doesn't make any ukulele specific strings.

Last edited:
Don't buy Elixir nano-web 80/20 light strings...these are bronze/steel stings made for their guitars...NOT UKULELES!!!!!

Don't buy Elixir nano-web 80/20 light strings...these are bronze/steel stings made for their guitars...NOT UKULELES!!!!!
It's just for the low G string..a single, not the set..not for the C, E, or A which would be nylon strings.

Just to clarify: There isn't any pre-packaged set that contains 3 nylon strings and then one Elixir wound for the low G. They're just mixing and matching, so to speak.

Last edited:
Hi Robin, try this?

Thomastik-Infeld CF30 - 4th string (D) .030 chrome steel flat wound

I use it on my Clara and it sounds great.

Congrats on your new uke!

I just received my Blackbird BTU (from HMS) today and am really enjoying it. Loud, easy to play, lovely sound.

With the tie bridge, I would think any tenor strings would work. Andrew at HMS suggested Southcoast's Soft Medium Gauge would be good strings on this uke.

I used Orcas medium-tension black fluorocarbons (low G set) on my Blackbird tenor and they sound wonderfully warm.

The lower tension means I lose volume, but what I gain are a sweet, sweet tone and great playing comfort.

Well thanks everybody for helping out.
It was harder than it should have been. Joe, of Blackbird thought ( I think) I had bought a guitar so the Elixir strings were a red herring.
From his email......"The correct answer is Oasis bright with flat wound low g. Fremont strings work as well."
I had some D'Addario EJ99TLG's which I put on and it is certainly better.
That said.......and I'm not rushing to judgement until it/they settle in........... it's a very quiet instrument; restrained.
I'm not convinced the string set is the right one; there should be more to this 'ukulele.
I have a couple of lovely tenors and it is not in the same league as them.
I wonder if that is fair comparison or not...........I don't know.
They aren't cheap ( esp. if you buy it in Canada) and it's hard to see that this would be anyone's first 'uke.
I'll keep posting with what I find when I change strings

I bought the Blackbird as a traveller and as a uke that I would worry less about in the extreme Ontario climate and I'm sure it will serve its purpose.

I hope you find the magic strings that will make this instrument sing to your ears. Hopefully, this is just a bad first impression.

All the string information on this thread in regards to both Blackbird ukuleles is wonderful. I'm going to start compiling a list.

When I got ready to order my Clara, the first place I called was HMS. I was so excited to finally be doing business with them. I had a negative experience and the phone call lasted less than two minutes, with the person on the other end totally shutting me down. It was quite a shock, as I've heard nothing but good reviews of the service and people at HMS. It was really a slap in the face. I regrouped and called Blackbird direct and left a message. Joe, from Blackbird, called me back and was incredibly helpful, polite, and friendly.

I put Southcoast Mediums on my buddy's BTU and it sounded pretty good. I am going to put some Aquila Red's on it next week to compare next week.

Also, with the BTU I've noted it sounds a lot better to me when plugged in than when played acoustically. You might consider picking up a little 5W amp if you don't already have one.

Let us know what you sort out!

Top Bottom