what is a good first uke

kieranttt

Reaction score
what is a good first uke and what where can i get the ovation applause pick-ups

You can buy a new Applause soprano, with or without a pick-up. They start around $125.

I wouldn't go any lower than Kala or Ohana bottom of the line models.
Something much more important is a good Set Up. Nothing is more discouraging to a beginner than poor playability of the instrument.
You've probably already have read all the praise MGM gets here for the set up of his instruments. I've gotten ukes of different price levels from him, and they are all very playable. Conversely, I've played on others' high end ukes and found some surprisingly unplayable: buzzing frets, high action, and etc.

Start with a good quality instrument. You don't want to get discouraged. Then size, wood pref. Lam. and or solid and looks.( Thats how my wife chose me)Price is kinda important along with a dealer who cares(me). I just started selling Mainland Ukes and would say they rock. Great value for a solid wood uke that looks and sounds great. It will come down to personal pref. as there are plenty of wonderful ukes out there.Start with 1 and get the other 1000 as you improve. Enjoy the quest!

what is a good first uke and what where can i get the ovation applause pick-ups

Hey I started with a Lanikai LU-21 concert uke and really liked it. I then went for the Lanikai CK-C which was a bit more expensive and really liked that too.

As long as you stick with well known brands like Kala etc and avoid those awful bright coloured tourist type ukes that are more toys than instruments and you should be fine.

You can buy a new Applause soprano, with or without a pick-up. They start around $125.

According to a recent thread over on the ezFolk forums, the Applause QC has jumped the shark. Might want to stick to Paul December's recommendation of Kala or Ohana.*

I'd add in Mainland.*

*(full disclosure -- both these companies have sponsored me. But I recommended them before that.)

According to a recent thread over on the ezFolk forums, the Applause QC has jumped the shark. Might want to stick to Paul December's recommendation of Kala or Ohana.*

I'd add in Mainland.*

*(full disclosure -- both these companies have sponsored me. But I recommended them before that.)

I have a Mahogany Mainland Uke, and it has the most beautiful tone.
Very pretty too.

My advice and its worth what your payin me for it would be go with the Kala KA-whatever size you want line, yes it's a laminate wood Uke but they sound nice and if your just starting out its not the Uke that will sound bad!!!!

Plus with having a laminate wood Uke when you get that next Uke (a solid) you now have a Uke you can take in the car/backpack with out stressin about the heat/humidity levels or letting your friends play with.

Good luck on that search Deach and let us know what you find!!!!!!

Hey I started with a Lanikai LU-21 concert uke and really liked it.

I haven't played one myself. But seeing as how Amazon has 'em for a mere fifty smackers (and no tax or shipping if you're in the US), I'd agree they're worth looking into. Especially if you're not yet sure that ukuleles are "for you", and you don't want to sink a pile of money into one right now.

JJ

I haven't played one myself. But seeing as how Amazon has 'em for a mere fifty smackers (and no tax or shipping if you're in the US), I'd agree they're worth looking into. Especially if you're not yet sure that ukuleles are "for you", and you don't want to sink a pile of money into one right now.

JJ

Yeah that is a really good point. If you're unsure if you'll want to get more serious about playing the uke it's a decent choice because it doesn't cost a tonne but is still good enough to stay in tune and sound decent. If you do decide to carry on and upgrade it will allow you to progress nicely until you can afford something better.

That Lanikai LU 21C is a great starter uke. It's the uke that got me hooked on ukes. My first few videos were done with that uke, if you want to hear what it sounds like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbOqRDrcLPc

That Lanikai LU 21C is a great starter uke. It's the uke that got me hooked on ukes. My first few videos were done with that uke, if you want to hear what it sounds like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbOqRDrcLPc

i looked in to them for a very long time last night cause they was recommended on yahoo answers but i couldnt find a site that shipped good ukes pretty much the only ukes in england seem to be mahalos ashton spongebob and ones which ive had cause it was the only one i could afford when i wanted to start but now ive got about £50 so im trying to find a lanikai 21c but cant find them

i looked in to them for a very long time last night cause they was recommended on yahoo answers but i couldnt find a site that shipped good ukes pretty much the only ukes in england seem to be mahalos ashton spongebob and ones which ive had cause it was the only one i could afford when i wanted to start but now ive got about £50 so im trying to find a lanikai 21c but cant find them

Do an online search for Ray Shakeshaft and if you can't find Ray, look for Rufus Yells and he will lead you to Ray. In England, those two gents will have the best assortment of ukuleles you'll find.

Id say laminates are good to start with as far as budget goes. For size, grab a concert. Start playing and from there decide if u want to stay at a concert or go bigger to a tenor or smaller to a soprano.

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout, Willis! Please don't tell the Gooch.You see, the world don't turn to the beat of just one drum. What might be right for you, may not be right for some.:eek:

I have no regrets about starting out on a Flea. In addition to being decently priced and easy enough to play, the thing is indestructible, which is good for me since I'd have no idea how to fix a uke. I don't entirely agree that you should start with a concert, but maybe it's all a matter of preference. I think I got a soprano to start with just because it was more what I thought of as a classical ukulele. I don't really see a disadvantage to starting with a soprano, and they tend to be a little cheaper.

Hi I know Newcastle Music (based in Newcastle upon Tyne) sell them 'cos I bought my CK-C Lanikai from them and know they can get the others if you ask them. They also send them wherever you want in the UK. Their phone number is on their website which is: www.newcastlemusic.co.uk.

Another place that sells Lanikais is the Duke of Uke based in London: www.dukeofuke.co.uk. I have to say the Duke of Uke is rather over priced, probably as they are based in London so I'd give Newcastle Music a ring first.

Hope that helps.

Top Bottom