Quilted Maple Tenor

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
Always busy with commissioned instruments, and rarely get time to build one on spec. However I managed to sneak one in to the last batch of tenors.

This one is made from some veneers sliced from a single large billet I had shipped from Washington. The figure changed from that deep quilt to more of a ribbon curl across the board, and I thought that it would be appropriate for a sound board. Cut quite a few sets from the one billet.

It's some quite dark Maple paired up with East Indian Rosewood. Koa in the rosette and Pau for the shell highlights. The figure in the quilting is so deep it looks like you could stick your finger into it. The photos really don't do it justice.

Quited Maple Tenor-4.jpgQuited Maple Tenor-5.jpgQuited Maple Tenor-6.jpgQuited Maple Tenor-7.jpgQuited Maple Tenor-3.jpg

The "ribbons" in that top are just incredible. To my eye, the ripples, ribbons, and curls in maple have a depth that other woods rarely match. I have a lighter colored curly maple tenor ukulele from a U.S. builder and the curls look almost three dimensional, even under a satin finish.
You have an incredibly beautiful product there.

Looks like soft maple--is it Big leaf maple from Washington state or something else? It makes a great looking ukulele!

Yes, I would say its Big Leaf maple though wouldn't bet the farm on it. This wood is harder than any maple that I've built with before.

Top Bottom