Blackbird Clara on its way! wOOT!

deschutestrout

Reaction score
Well, I suffered a weak UAS moment yesterday when I saw a Clara appear in the Marketplace. I pulled the trigger and may even have it by the end of the week. I'm a tad excited as I've heard so much positive about this instrument. waHOO!

I saw that was sold and wondered if you picked it up. Should sound mighty pretty on the river.

grats! is it waterproof? I know the CF one is, but the ekoa one I'm not sure.

grats! is it waterproof? I know the CF one is, but the ekoa one I'm not sure.

I spoke with HMS a couple weeks ago, and when I asked about the Clara, he said "shoot, you can boil those!" ... so, I'm assuming they are. But, I will double check...even though I don't expect I'll ever let it sit in rain, and if it's on the river, it will be properly stowed.

Congrats. You are going to love it. Few ukes are as resonant in a Concert size (or any size).

please don't boil the clara. it's on my list. i find its sound remarkable, to my ear, mahogany on steroids.
would someone please advise as to the neck, it looks like a moderately full C shape, and i recall the nut specs were greater than 1 3/8".

Last edited:
Look at you........an Ohana CK 10 yesterday and now a Clara. It is just raining down ukes in your world isn't it, congratulations.

Look at you........an Ohana CK 10 yesterday and now a Clara. It is just raining down ukes in your world isn't it, congratulations.

AND! Two used Islanders are waiting at the Post Office :) . I'll hang on to the "pick of the litter" of the laminates, the other two are spoken for. Yes, one could say "UAS"

I spoke with HMS a couple weeks ago, and when I asked about the Clara, he said "shoot, you can boil those!" ... so, I'm assuming they are. But, I will double check...even though I don't expect I'll ever let it sit in rain, and if it's on the river, it will be properly stowed.

I'm more concerned about condensation over night. Grass is wet in the morning for a reason, even on clear nights.

Big congrats desch

I have yet to learn more about these and other uku's that are not the K brand or Martin.

So where is the Blackbird Clara made? Tah

You'll love it. The Clara is amazing.
It is in fact pretty much waterproof. The tuners are susceptible to moisture, but they can be serviced and even replaced if they get damaged.

YAY! Another UAS victim. Soon, USS. (Ukulele String Syndrome). Congrats.

YAY! Another UAS victim. Soon, USS. (Ukulele String Syndrome). Congrats.
Oh Lenny, I'm already a USS victim. Have successfully dialed in on several ukes. REALLY liking Oasis Warms (haven't tried the brights ... yet). I was/am a huge Worth fan, but I think the Oasis strings outshine them on certain ukes. Can't wait to get the Clara!

You'll love it. The Clara is amazing.
It is in fact pretty much waterproof. The tuners are susceptible to moisture, but they can be serviced and even replaced if they get damaged.

They surely are durable but should not be submerged in water. In fact, I discussed this with Joe Luttwak (Blackbird's CEO) last week. So, don't go scuba diving with it and you should be fine. ;-)

BTW, if you'll be playing it re-entrant. Check out Aquila Reds on it. Sounds amazing!

Just the opposite. I have the Oasis Brights on 2 of mine and love the sound. About to put a set of Southcoast Medium Lights on one, and will eventually get some Worth Clears, probably the CT, but may go with the CM or CL's as I like a crisp high end.

We're waiting on the Clara review. Taking off work on the day it's supposed to come in????????????????????????:drool:

Will definitely be re-entrant tuned. I believe it's coming with Oasis brights ... but will definitely throw some other strings on at some point to compare. ...... Rappsy, two of yours?? How many Clara's do you have????

No Claras. Two Pono's so I can tell the difference between the two using the same strings. One is a Spruce top and the other is a Cedar Top.

Top Bottom