Can anyone compare a flea/fluke to a pineapple as far as sound/tone?

Photojosh

Reaction score
So, as I've mentioned, I'm considering a pineapple ukulele for a bit of a different sound from a concert (I have a koaloha I love) and a soprano (I just don't love soprano).

I've not played more than a few strums on a pineapple and don't have any decent ukulele stores around nearby.

However, what I do have is both a flea and a fluke. Acknowledging that they are not traditional construction ukes and that even traditional construction pineapples will have a big sound range, can anyone compare a flea/fluke to the sound of a pineapple? Similar enough to use for a "if you like one, you'll probably like the other" statement? Nothing at all alike?

Not any help with comparison, but I'll once again say that I am VERY pleased with the longneck cedar pineapple soprano I got from Mainland for $269. Very cool, awesome build, and set up better than any of my others (which are all set up pretty darn good!). Props to Mike's set up crew, they nailed it! For the price, It'd be worth a try, and if you didn't like it, I bet it would sell in less than a day in the Marketplace. You need to just make a visit to Maupin, Oregon and try mine :) To add ... with the recent purchase of a Clara (wOOT!), I'm considering parting with a couple of my ukes to help my UAS-induced finances ... that Mainland is not even being considered as one I'll part with. That hopefully says something right there :)

Last edited:
If you are talking Flea/Fluke versus KoAloha Pineapple Sunday, they are not even close. I have a flea and I tried out a P. as at NAMM. But, if you aren't wanting to compare those, sorry.

Depends on the pineapple, but in general I'd say nothing at all alike. Not even close if comparing to my Kamaka or Koaloha pineapples.

I know the Fleas/Flukes have their fans and their places, but personally the only reason I'd get one is if I wanted a fairly inexpensive uke that was really durable (although the reality is I'd probably let go of the "inexpensive" part and spring for a Blackbird Clara - which, hey, is actually a pineapple and sounds great!). I see them more as a niche uke than a daily player. Personally I find Fleas/Flukes really uncomfortable to play - all that plastic makes them really slippery and hard to hold, the plastic fretboards are hard for me to see, and the necks are rather awkward and chunky for my small hands. And if I'm not mistaken, their construction makes it impossible to attach a strap button - I see a lot of people using improvised straps with velcro to hold them and such.

But that's just me - like I said, some folks love 'em.

I dont think you can compare spongebob to a pineapple sunday, or a flea to either.
Pineapples are not all the same, so the question is kinda hard to answer.

But.. from a perspective of comparing one makers pineapple vs 8 shape, you can check out the video and see if you can hear the fruitiness, or not.

Good thoughts everyone, thanks.

Going to "the big city" tomorrow and may have a chance to stop into a store that would have both fluke/fleas AND decent pineapples (I know, amazing, right?).

I have had both, but they are completely different. I love having a flea or fluke uke around they are great for an indestructible no worries uke to take anywhere. Also, had a kamaka pineapple that I still regret selling years ago. That being said if you have an opportunity for for a koaloha pineapple,kamaka pineapple,etc. it will probably improve your playing, and be worthwhile to get. I have had a pineapple sunday on my want list for a while and will definitely add one to my gear in the future. They are however a little different than a standard pineapple. Anyway hope you get a pineapple and enjoy it. Sounds like you are doing the right thing going to a store. Even among the same brand one can have a different/better to your ears tone, and you can get a feel for the playability of different necks,weight,etc.,etc. Hope you find one that inspires you. If you test a Kamaka remember it will sound and feel different with different strings than the standard ones they put on them.

KoAloha Pineapple long neck - great sound with the shingling of a soprano but the sustain of a concert. (This is not a Pineapple Sunday.)
Flea Concert neck - good durable ukulele sound more comparable to a laminate instrument than a solid wood pineapple.
KPK Pineapple long neck - overbuilt and dull.

Every uke player needs a pineapple, or in my case 4.

Top Bottom