Loprinzi model 4 mahogany tenor ukulele

I think you'll be very pleased. I am enjoying my Model 3K and half-hoping it doesn't sell. ;-) It really is a gorgeous looking and sounding instrument. Look forward to your view when you get yours.

And HMS has a few nice ones in stock, too.

Last edited:
Too beautiful to share...just kidding...waiting for pics myself.

You appear to have koa and mahogany covered. Spruce and cedar are glaringly absent from your collection. May I respectfully request you get right on that please. There is a beautiful spruce top Kanile'a over on fleamarket music at the moment. I would suggest a cedar and macassar ebony Pono pro classic, but that might be a little too common for you ;).

Hope you know this is all tongue in cheek as I am very glad you are aquiring such lovely instruments: Helps me in justifying my buying craziness.

You appear to have koa and mahogany covered. Spruce and cedar are glaringly absent from your collection. May I respectfully request you get right on that please. There is a beautiful spruce top Kanile'a over on fleamarket music at the moment. I would suggest a cedar and macassar ebony Pono pro classic, but that might be a little too common for you ;).

Hope you know this is all tongue in cheek as I am very glad you are aquiring such lovely instruments: Helps me in justifying my buying craziness.

You are not helping my UAS!

It arrived with a scare as Fed Ex had managed to put a huge 3" x 4" gouge in the outer box. The uke was unharmed. It is more beautiful than the pictures. It came tuned to pitch...first for me to receive one like that.

Sound is underwhelming so far. Elderly has had it for 7 months. Strings look new.

It arrived with a scare as Fed Ex had managed to put a huge 3" x 4" gouge in the outer box. The uke was unharmed. It is more beautiful than the pictures. It came tuned to pitch...first for me to receive one like that.

Sound is underwhelming so far. Elderly has had it for 7 months. Strings look new.

Sorry to hear the sound is underwhelming. Sometimes it seems a uke needs a day to adjust to a new place. Hopefully it sounds better today.

It must have had a string change at Elderly as there is a mark behind the E string that is probably the result of changing strings. Sounded a little better last night. Slapped a Tone Rite on it to help break it in.

It must have had a string change at Elderly as there is a mark behind the E string that is probably the result of changing strings. Sounded a little better last night. Slapped a Tone Rite on it to help break it in.

I'm a big LoPrinzi fan and have two LoPrinzi tenors. The first one (Solid Maple) I played a good two hours before purchasing and it was already starting to open up a little. Brought it home, changed strings (Worth Brown Low Gs with a LaBella polished wound Low G) and played it exclusively for two weeks. It became incredible! The second tenor (Nova model in solid Cherry) I bought used, but I am convinced it had very little actual playing time logged on it. It sounded a bit subdued when I purchased it, but I thought it was maybe the original strings that were holding back this ukulele. I went through several brands of strings over two months searching for the magic strings to bring this uke to life and still wasn't wowed. Finally, changed to Worth Clear (CT) strings with a Low G and just played the heck out of it an entire weekend and at least 1 hour a day for about 2 weeks. Then Bam! It seemed to blossom one day and has opened up wonderfully since then.

I think ultimately all new ukuleles need some dedicated playing time to reach their full sound potential. I guess some of the improvement in sound, generally attributed to opening up, could also be a gradual adaptation of a player's technique to bring out the best qualities in a particular instrument. Another consideration could be humidity and temperature conditions of a uke's recent storage history. I've gotten used solid wood ukuleles with not so great sustain or volume until I keep them in a well humidified case for a few weeks and they plump back up.

I would recommend that you keep playing your new LoPrinzi as much as possible and keep it in a case, and well humidified, when not actively playing it. I think playing up the neck helps, too. Bar all strings and strum repeatedly at each fret up the neck as much as you can stand it. I am convinced that only playing a uke in the first four frets is going to make the uke break-in process take longer (just my gut feeling and not based on any science).

I would not be surprised for it to take a month or more for a ukulele to settle into it's surroundings and get through that freshly minted break in period.

Top Bottom