Extreme bookmatch - non uke

Harold O.

Reaction score
Disclaimer: this is non-uke building related, but I figured (!) folks looking here would find this of interest.

Generally speaking, bookmatching refers to the cutting of a piece of wood lengthwise into two narrow strips suitable for making a top or bottom of an instrument. The two edges then are glued together to form a "reflective" grain pattern to balance visual and resonance tendencies. Fair enough.

I just completed an extreme bookmatch project. A client wanted a unique corner bookshelf and gave me free reign. The result is 6'10" tall and 25 inches on each side. There are no nails, screws, or metal used anywhere except on the adjustable feet.

This was made from a single piece of California black walnut, sliced down the middle years before I got it. The shelves were carved from the same piece.

Sorry for hijacking the luthier forum. Jeez, at over six feet tall, two feet wide and an inch and a half thick, I could have made a lot of ukes from this. With this finally out of the shop, I can get to the next uke build.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 85
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 62
  • detail.jpg
    detail.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 58
Wow, that is gorgeous. I want my house to be filled with wood like that.

Did you save any of that walnut for musical purposes? There's some pretty stuff in those shelves.

I have, shall we say, "an unlimited" supply of walnut as well as pecan. A very good friend of mine has a land clearing business. They clear properties of old trees (yes, trees have lifespans) for replanting or development. His guys are under instruction to haul useful pieces to the mill.

Pecan is interesting because it is even more dense than walnut. Given two same-size pieces of walnut and pecan, the pecan weighs about 30% more, has a tighter grain, and is more yellow.

You can see how the two look together here: http://www.westhillswood.com/music-stand-plan.html I will make a walnut ukulele at some point and maybe work some pecan in there somewhere. But first I have to clear the shop of other work, build another kit or two, then see about being creative with instruments.

Awesome, I've never seen Pecan worked into a uke before. Keep us updated!

you know what sucks? i probably cant even go near those bookshelves or ukes. im allergic to both

I have, shall we say, "an unlimited" supply of walnut as well as pecan.
Well. I officially hate you, but in the good way. :D

My last free walnut was from my brother's yard a number of years back, and lacking a mill, What I could cut from it was a bit limited. I don't think I have ever worked with pecan.

Top Bottom