c.1920s Martin 0 Soprano with Wood Pegs - Killer Uke!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy B

Reaction score
UPDATE: Photo album uploaded at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterbutt/sets/72157650903077580/

Hi everyone. I'm selling my 1920s Martin Style 0. I've owned a dozen vintage Martin sopranos over the years, and I consider this the best one I've ever owned in terms of sound, playability and mojo.

You know that classic, barky vintage mahogany Martin sound? Well, this one goes to 11. I let a friend play it, and he said it was almost too loud. I swapped out the Worth strings for Martin M600s, and that tamed it just a bit. I don't know if it's the century-old wood or the super light build (this uke weighs about nine ounces!), but this baby delivers the goods.

Action is very comfortable. Original wood pegs hold tight. It has bar frets, typical of the early builds.

IMGP3942.jpgIMGP3943.jpgIMGP3946.jpgIMGP3947.jpg.

There are two sealed hairline splits on this uke. They were on the uke when I got it, and although I could have returned it, once I played it I knew it was a keeper. I took it to a luthier who repaired one crack in the center of the back but said the second one -- which is on the soundboard just to the treble side of the bridge and is barely visible -- was already sealed.

There's also a deep scratch about 1 inch long on the back, and the expected soundboard bellying.

Comes with the original, moth-eaten green fabric bag. There is no case. The uke will be double-boxed and packed with a humidifier for safe travel.

Why am I selling? I've started taking singing lessons and have discovered that the soprano uke voice doesn't fit my voice as well as the bigger ukes. I'll be listing a few other sopranos in the near future, and possibly a KoAloha longneck soprano as well.

SOLD.

Thanks for looking. - Tom

Last edited:
truly beautiful grained mahogany! hard to see that on style O.

UPDATE TO LISTING:

In answer to a few questions, plus some other details:

1. I've uploaded a new photo album with lots of close-ups at https://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterbutt/sets/72157650903077580/

2. I don't believe the bridge has been reglued. Please take a look at the photos.

3. The soundboard bellying is noticeable, but I've never considered it an issue. (I actually like a little bellying, but that's me.) The luthier who checked out the uke wasn't concerned.

4. There's a bit of white residue in a few crevices, etc. This is just dried polish.

5. I recorded a simple sound sample and included a side-by-side with a new Martin concert C1K to give a relative comparison. My playing's pretty bad, but hopefully this will help anyway:

https://soundcloud.com/tommybfoolin/martin-0

Thanks for the questions!
Tom

Nice playing. Your Martin -0 sounds very close to my 1920's Martin 1K, which also has wooden peg tuners...therefore, I'm going to pass on this one. I am however, still tempted... due to the attractive price.

Best of luck on your sale.

William

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom