Should Gotoh UPTs be on all ukes?

Andy Chen

Reaction score
I find it a breeze to change strings on my Clara and Boat Paddle A, both of which have UPTs.

Then I change strings on my other ukes, which have good quality geared tuners, and I get frustrated with all that needless numerous turns needed to get a string to pitch.

What reason (apart from cost, maybe) is there not to have UPTs on all ukes, regardless of size?

The UPTs are light, smooth as butter and hold strings in tune excellently. Plus, they don't have uke ears.

I wish I had them on all my ukes.

Both Blackbird ukuleles now come standard with UPTs, apparently.

I find it a breeze to change strings on my Clara and Boat Paddle A, both of which have UPTs.

Then I change strings on my other ukes, which have good quality geared tuners, and I get frustrated with all that needless numerous turns needed to get a string to pitch.

Patience is a virtue.

What reason (apart from cost, maybe) is there not to have UPTs on all ukes, regardless of size?

The UPTs are light, smooth as butter and hold strings in tune excellently. Plus, they don't have uke ears.

I like the weight. It's a change from friction tuners, and I like friction tuners too. The weight is not a deal-breaker for me.
Plus, I like the ears. They look nice on some designs. I guess I'm the minority.

I'd be happy with Gotoh UPT's on all my Ukes. They're definitely my favourate type of tuner.

Really stretching the strings while putting them on helps a lot.

I don't think they are light. Here's the weight per set of some better known tuners:
21g – Peghed geared tuners (1:4 ratio)
30g – Gotoh UKA Deluxe (Aluminium construction)
37g – Waverly friction tuners
64g – Gotoh UPT Planetary 1:4 ratio
(Source)

On a 300g soprano, that can make a difference.

What I personally would like to see on many ukuleles, is locking tuners with knurled thump screws that keep the strings pre-tension and improve the tuning stability. Gotoh makes them for guitars and I love them. They could be very light and still inexpensive.
But I certainly agree, geared tuners would be nicer.

I'd be happy with Gotoh UPT's on all my Ukes. They're definitely my favourate type of tuner.

What Hollis said........+2. I bought a Pono ET-PC that I had HMS switch out the tuners to UTP and it looks and works great. I have another tenor with them on and a custom tenor I should receive in a few weeks that will have them, so yea I like 'em. ;)

But that does not mean they SHOULD come on every uke............just every uke I own :shaka:

Should all ukes be koa or mahogany? That's what I like, so that's what everybody should like, right?!?!?!

I wouldn't say they should be on all ukes but they are incredible tuners. I really don't think you need any more precision that they give you. They turn smooth as butter. They look great. And they are a low enough ratio that replacing strings is easy.

I was slow to jump on the UPT bandwagon because I don't love the looks. I certainly think they look better than standard geared tuners but in comparison to friction tuners they look at bit clunky from the back and a bit too high tech from the front. But then I got a uke that had them and I am smitten. They are my favorite tuners by a very wide margin.

I'd be happy with them on all of my ukes (and yes, wouldn't complain if it bumped the cost up relative to the cost of the UPTs). New Kamakas all come with them and I find them preferable. I'm not bothered by friction tuners enough to retrofit my non-UPT Kamakas, but have definitely thought about it (and will probably do it one of these days, just because).

I'd be happy with them on all of my ukes (and yes, wouldn't complain if it bumped the cost up relative to the cost of the UPTs). New Kamakas all come with them and I find them preferable. I'm not bothered by friction tuners enough to retrofit my non-UPT Kamakas, but have definitely thought about it (and will probably do it one of these days, just because).

The one uke that I did change the tuners on is the non-UPT Kamaka that I had. I thought a uke of that calibre should not have the horrible, impossible to adjust, binding tuners that were on mine. When a set of direct tuners is working, when they are smooth and adjustable, they are OK. I've got some ukes where the friction tuners work great. But for some reason my Kamaka was the uke with the worst tuners. I know there are lots of people whose Kamakas have tuners that work. Mine were terrible.

I like the Gotoh UPTs. They are generally my favorite. But, there is a place for the side geared tuners and some reasons to prefer them. There are also ukes where the friction tuners work fine. The Gotoh tuners add weight and expense. Also, while I used to dislike them, a slotted headstock can be kind of cool. I don't feel motivated to change out the tuners on any my ukes unless the tuners are not working well.

But I do generally agree that anyone making a uke over $500 or so ought to seriously consider using the UPTs and for me I want to see them on most concerts and probably most tenors.

I know there are lots of people whose Kamakas have tuners that work. Mine were terrible.

You're definitely not the first I've heard say that! I think I've just been lucky with mine.

One other observation: in general, not all friction tuners are created equal. Despite being a Kamaka fangirl, I've got to admit that the friction tuners used on Koalohas are lightyears better than the ones Kamaka used to use.

I like UPTs but lets not forget Pegheads...I think they look better on smaller ukes and they work wonderfully as well.

While I strongly prefer geared tuners, I would not want only Gotoh UPTs. I put them on the Ron Yasuda I just sold and liked the feel, but would have preferred Pegheds due to weight on that uke. Plus, on some ukes I prefer the more plain look of Pegheds vs. UPT's. While I generally prefer rearward facing tuners like UPT's and Pegheds, on some headstocks I like the look of "eared" tuners. All depends. So I say choice is good! ;-)

I like UPTs but lets not forget Pegheads...I think they look better on smaller ukes and they work wonderfully as well.

PegHeds do look better and are also great tuners (my second favorite). But I have to say that UPTs are even better in function. Just unbelievably smooth.

I have the Pegheds on a few ukes and they are good tuners but the UPTs function better. On a soprano I would probably prefer Pegheds on a Concert UPTs. On a tenor I am ok with UPTs, side geared tuners or slotted headstock.

I am looking to change out the stiff crappy tuners on the Super Soprano Keli'i I have to Gotoh UPT's ... I never considered the weight ... would Peghead tuners work better or have less weight? I am not really concerned about the weight issue.

I realize that on this cheaper Uke ... has great tone ... it might be like putting a pool in the back yard when trying to sell it. But I am not sure I will ... I bought it for $185 barely used. Just thought it would help with keeping the strings in tune ... and they are easy to use.

I have Pegheds on three ukes, and kjust had the friction tuners on my National changed out for Gotoh UPTs.

Heck, I had the standard geared tuners on my 5-string banjo changed out for planetary tuners 30-something years ago, too.

Do I like planetary tuners? Yup. Do I want them on all of my instruments? Nope. I really like the sealed gear tuners on my KoAloha Sceptre (which may be made by Gotoh, for all I know) and the sealed gear tuners on my Kala are quite lovely as well.

But generally, rather than friction tuners, I'd go with peghed or UPTs - depends on the instrument, and what the builder thinks.

-Kurt​

I adore my UPT tuners. They make changing strings a breeze now -- no more monotonous turning to get to pitch. I would want them on any non-slothead uke I ever own from now on.

Should all ukes be koa or mahogany? That's what I like, so that's what everybody should like, right?!?!?!

Obviously, I had phrased my question this way to start a discussion. You may chip in or not, your sarcasm really is not called for.

So, PegHeds and friction tuners are preferable for their weight. Sounds reasonable.

Geared tuners on some headstocks for looks. Fair enough but any other reasons? More precise tuning, perhaps?

I adore my UPT tuners. They make changing strings a breeze now -- no more monotonous turning to get to pitch. I would want them on any non-slothead uke I ever own from now on.

+1. I even put them on a uke with rabbit ears geared tuners! I got the ugly screw holes in the back but I like them that much!

Last edited:
Top Bottom