Baritone Ukulele Jazz Noodling...

To have a unique style on an instrument is truly something. No-one plays like you Doc. Can't offer higher praise than that. You are an inspiration to me and many others.

YEAH!!!!!!!!!

Well, thank you so much, Jon! I think it would be fair to say that the chord solo thing I kinda stumble through here was probably partly inspired by one of my all time favorite jazz guitarists, the late great Al Casey, who played guitar in Fats Waller's band during the 30s and early 40s. The man was a wonderful rhythm player, and when he played the occasional solo, he did a lot of chord soloing...complete with sliding movements up and down the neck, much like trad jazz banjo players. Fact is, in 1998, I was in New Orleans for the jazz fest, and back then Casey was still alive and kicking. I saw him play on several occasions there at that time, and I was blown away. He worked alongside younger players, such as pianist Henry Butler, but also with veteran trombonist Al Grey. Casey was nothing but a genuine master musician. He died in 2005, 90 years old.

Last edited:
Thanks for the interesting story Doc. Another great who has been unknown to me I can now look up and discover for the first time. You know, as much as I love listening to your piano and uke stylings, it is really you more than anyone who has ignited a latent love for jazz within me these past few years. I have utterly fallen in love with this music. My only wish is that I'd been exposed to it at an earlier age. So as much as I appreciate your playing and singing, I know I'll always be most grateful for that fact.

Top Bottom