NUD: Risa Black Tenor electric uke with steel strings.

Icelander53

Reaction score
Oh it finally got here and only about three days later than expected. But hopefully all is well now. I played for a couple of hours tonight and it's a fun uke with a great sound.

The steel strings were something new but not that hard on my fingers. In fact the finger pressure is so very light. I feel like I'm just laying them on for pressure . Very fun to play.

Lots for me to learn about here. I really know nothing about playing an electric guitar so this is all newness. Like I told another member here, "I bought it to replace my tennis racquet that has been in use for air guitar for over 40 years".

And that's about all I have to say here. I'm really not qualified yet to make a proper review. It sounds wonderful it looks wonderful and I like it. I guess that's about it. Happy camper and all. :)

Congrats on the new toy.

Enjoy it! :)

:music::music::music:

Pics bro!

And congrats.

:rock: :music:

The Risa Les Pauls are really nice, fun instruments that sound great and play easy. What type of amp do you have to play it with?

It certainly does play easy. The action on this uke is the lowest I've ever seen on a uke. Plays very clean and easy with a light touch. I'm very impressed so far but I'm still evaluating it of course.

The amps I'm currently using are Vox Mini 5 and a Behringer 15 watt acoustic amp with a really nice Hall of Fame Reverb pedal. Of course if this becomes a passion then I'll get another amp but in the learning phase I'm in these are just fine. I actually like the sound run through the Acoustic Amp. Of course the Vox has all the great guitar amps and sound effects.

Pics bro!

And congrats.

:rock: :music:

I'm sad today because my computer won't upload pics from my camera. I took a great pic yesterday but I can't load it on my computer and I can't figure out what's wrong. Anyway here's the stock youtube so you can get a taste. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrTto-UimHg&spfreload=10
And thanks. It's really a blast to play and I got a stellar black and red flame guitar strap for it and I look awesome in front of a mirror in my boxers and working on a little Frank Zappa. I only wish I sounded near as good as I look.

It certainly does play easy. The action on this uke is the lowest I've ever seen on a uke. Plays very clean and easy with a light touch. I'm very impressed so far but I'm still evaluating it of course.

The amps I'm currently using are Vox Mini 5 and a Behringer 15 watt acoustic amp with a really nice Hall of Fame Reverb pedal. Of course if this becomes a passion then I'll get another amp but in the learning phase I'm in these are just fine. I actually like the sound run through the Acoustic Amp. Of course the Vox has all the great guitar amps and sound effects.

Start saving for a Marshall half-stack...!!!

I don't need to save. I've got the money for almost anything I want much less need. Until I'm good enough to play in front of people and play well then I'll stick with the home entertainment systems.

I do have one negative on the Risa buy. The gig bag Risa puts this fairly expensive uke in is downright shameful. It's one of the crappiest little gig bags I've seen. It really won't protect much at all. I'm hoping it will fit into one of my hard cases.

I just finish playing and man it' is like butter when it comes to barre chords. They ring clear and clean with half the effort of my acoustics. I dig that although I really don't have much issue with barre chords anymore.

I don't need to save. I've got the money for almost anything I want much less need. Until I'm good enough to play in front of people and play well then I'll stick with the home entertainment systems.

I do have one negative on the Risa buy. The gig bag Risa puts this fairly expensive uke in is downright shameful. It's one of the crappiest little gig bags I've seen. It really won't protect much at all. I'm hoping it will fit into one of my hard cases.

I just finish playing and man it' is like butter when it comes to barre chords. They ring clear and clean with half the effort of my acoustics. I dig that although I really don't have much issue with barre chords anymore.

I have a Fremont rectangular case for my Risa Les Paul. It works real well for this instrument. BTW, I was just kidding about the Marshall half-stack. These instruments sound good through just about any amp out there.

Last edited:
Congrats, it's a classy little uke with a huge sound.

I have a Kiwaya rectangular case for my Risa Les Paul. It works real well for this instrument. BTW, I was just kidding about the Marshall half-stack. These instruments sound good through just about any amp out there.

I guessed you were kidding there but one never knows. I'll check into that case. Thanks for the tip.

Congrats, it's a classy little uke with a huge sound.

I'm beginning to realize that. :cool: I'm just messing around trying to get a handle on it's potential. I think it's going to take a long while. In the mean time I'm having a good time. I'm still impressed at the very low action on this uke.

I'm sad today because my computer won't upload pics from my camera. I took a great pic yesterday but I can't load it on my computer and I can't figure out what's wrong. Anyway here's the stock youtube so you can get a taste. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrTto-UimHg&spfreload=10
And thanks. It's really a blast to play and I got a stellar black and red flame guitar strap for it and I look awesome in front of a mirror in my boxers and working on a little Frank Zappa. I only wish I sounded near as good as I look.

I'm the chubby guy in the second demo video on the Risa website. The LP is a good choice. Although I like the look of my Mahagony better than the black one. I just posted a video where I used my iPad for the sound:http://bit.ly/1wFpA0I

I have a cherry sunburst tenor that I bought direct from the factory. It looks and sounds great. In the summer, sometimes I join a marching electric guitar band (we all carry small battery powered amps). As I'm a pretty hefty guy. I think it will be great to march with this little baby.

I have a Risa tenor, here are Risa's and D'Addario's recommndations:

heavy gauge (about 20 lbs tension):
high g - .014"
low-G = 0.030" wound
C = 0.023" wound or 0.020" plain
E = 0.016" plain
A = 0.012" plain

light gauge (about 15 lbs tension):
high g = .012
low-G = 0.026" wound
C = 0.017" plain
E = 0.014" plain
A = 0.010" plain

A 0.018" for C is is okay. You can buy a standard electric guitar string
set 0.010" and take the first four strings of this set.

With kind regards
RISA Musical Instruments

And D'Addario's Recommendations:

Unit Weight Scale Length Frequency Gauge Tension
(Lb/in) (in) (Hz) (in) (Lb)
.00001601 19.00 466.20 A# = PL0085 13.00
.00001794 19.00 440.00 A = PL009 12.98
.00003190 19.00 329.60 E = PL012 12.95
.00004984 19.00 261.60 C = PL015 12.75
.00009184 19.00 196.00 G = NW022 13.18
.00001999 17.00 466.20 A# = PL0095 13.00
.00002215 17.00 440.00 A = PL010 12.83
.00004037 17.00 329.60 E = PL0125 13.12
.00006402 17.00 261.60 C = PL017 13.11
.00010857 17.00 196.00 G = NW024 12.48

In english please? Just kidding (not), I've got new things to learn here. I'm growing up to be a big boy. :cool: Good thing because I'm about out of time. :eek:ld:

Congrats :want: Do you play it with a pick? I've got this on my wish list, but the demo videos I've seen of it show players with picks and I haven't ever used one.

Top Bottom