Kala Uke stand for my soprano? Any alternative recommendations?

Mik

Reaction score
Does anyone have the Kala Mahogany stand out for their soprano? How stable is it? A few comments on Amazon mentioned that it didn't fit their sopranos well. Any other recommendations? I don't want to spend more than $25. I just want stability although the Kala looks a bit more aesthetically pleasing compared to the tubular ones, but if stability is an issue then I don't mind the latter. TIA!

Does anyone have the Kala Mahogany stand out for their soprano? How stable is it? A few comments on Amazon mentioned that it didn't fit their sopranos well. Any other recommendations? I don't want to spend more than $25. I just want stability although the Kala looks a bit more aesthetically pleasing compared to the tubular ones, but if stability is an issue then I don't mind the latter. TIA!

No experience with the Kala stand, but I can offer and alternate solution...

I got a bunch of these when they went on sale for $12 for the pair:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/musicians-gear-tubular-guitar-stand-black-pair

740035000000000-00-750x750.jpg

Out of the box with these, with a tenor uke the upper U-shaped part of the neck tube is right at the tuning pegs, so I took a hacksaw, and cut off about 3 inches from the bottom end of the neck tube that inserts into the bottom, and now it's good for tenors and baris but for an acoustic guitar, it's not tall enough, and as such, this is a permanent modification.

They were cheap enough that I got a bunch of them, and it took like 5 mins to modify. When I was looking these were the cheapest stands I could find.

Now sure that the U-shape would be narrow enough to hang a soprano from the neck betw the nut and tuning peg area where most ukes get wider to the headstock, but you could measure the stand's vertical tube and cut it down so the heel end of the soprano body rests on the lower arms.

The only downside, is that while the stand's legs can fold, it does not get very compact, so portability might be an issue if you want to put it in your instrument case...

I was gifted a Kala stand and to my delight found it fit my soprano uke quite nicely. It is more stable than the conventional metal uke stand I had previously and more aesthically pleasing.

Use cheap guitar hangers...I confess that I use Hercules stands myself.

I was gifted a Kala stand and to my delight found it fit my soprano uke quite nicely. It is more stable than the conventional metal uke stand I had previously and more aesthically pleasing.

Fretie, that is reassuring to know. I will give it a shot. Thanks!

Use cheap guitar hangers...I confess that I use Hercules stands myself.

I intend to use the stands only in the summer because I live in northern part, and majority of the year my ukes will most likely stay in their cases. Hence, the guitar hangers (you're talking wall fixture, right?) won't work. Thank for the input.

No experience with the Kala stand, but I can offer and alternate solution...

I got a bunch of these when they went on sale for $12 for the pair

Booli, thanks for the recommendation. I might use this idea for my concert ones.

I too was gifted a Kala mahogany stand to use for my "living room uke." It's very attractive. Otherwise, I have a small, folding uke stand that works perfectly and fits in my "gig bag" http://kala-gear.hostedbyamazon.com/FOLD-UP-UKULELE-STAND/dp/B007KOO15O

Not sure it's a Kala, but I got it for around $10 or $12 I'd look at it and check, but it's temporarily "misplaced". I also have a uke hanger on my music stand that I use in my "uke room" (sometimes called the family room computer room, exercise room, etc. etc.)

Last edited:
I was given one as a gift and it works great for soprano right up through baritone. I live in a northern climate as well and use it all the time when I am playing, ukes stay in their cases when not played. It is a piece of equipment I would not want to be without now that I have one

My long neck soprano fits fine in it and is very stable. This might open up a can of worms but the bottom of the uke is close to touching the table top. If it did touch then the uke would not be supported by the padded arms and it would flop around. With this design I can only see that happening with a thin bodied uke

20150314_102822.jpg

Last edited:
I was given one as a gift and it works great for soprano right up through baritone. I live in a northern climate as well and use it all the time when I am playing, ukes stay in their cases when not played. It is a piece of equipment I would not want to be without now that I habe one

My long neck soprano fit fine in it and is very stable. This might open up a can of worms but the bottom of the uke is close to touching the table top. If it did touch then the uke would not be supported by the padded arms and it would flop around. With this design I can only see that happening with a thin bodied uke. Just a thought.

View attachment 77392

I'm not sure who makes these, but I've seen them labeled as Eddy Finns as well. I have three and they handled all my ukes (and my wife's Cordoba Guilele) without issue with one exception: The base of my KA-8 Tenor was too deep/thick. I've since rehomed that one, so we have no problems.

This might open up a can of worms but the bottom of the uke is close to touching the table top. If it did touch then the uke would not be supported by the padded arms and it would flop around. With this design I can only see that happening with a thin bodied uke

View attachment 77394

Thank you for the pic! That gave me an idea, and I can definitely see your point. Either I'll do a little retro-fitting of some sort with the stand, or I might return it to Amazon.

Top Bottom