which is which...

UkerDanno

Reaction score
One is Islander, one is Kanilea, can you tell? I'm sure many on here can...

tuners.jpg

Kanilea is left, I think? Just guessing from the wood structure and the smoothly rounded edges...

I think the Kanilea is on the left because I've seen the tuners on the right with black screws on Chinese low ball sites, but not with gold screws.

Based on the quality of the finish on the tuning machines, the one on the left is the Kanilea?

What would be interesting is to play a sound sample from each one and see if people can tell the difference. Of course, if they had the same strings this would make it a better comparison.

Many people listen with their eyes than their ears. I've been guilty of this myself.

The one on the left has better wood. The edges are finished much more carefully than the right.
The one on the left looks like unmarked waverly tuners. The one on the right look like chinese tuners.
The tuners on the left are mounted evenly. The ones on the right are a little crooked.
The one on the left... knew what they were doing and cared about the result. The one on the right was built fast.

Last edited:
What would be interesting is to play a sound sample from each one and see if people can tell the difference. Of course, if they had the same strings this would make it a better comparison.

Many people listen with their eyes than their ears. I've been guilty of this myself.

yeah, I'll have to work on a comparison vid', they probably won't have the same strings, though. I put Martins on the K-2, the Islander has Aquilas on it, probably try some Fremont blacklines soon.

BTW, the Kanile'a is on the left. I'm a little mystified by the fact that the tuners don't have Kanilea stamped on them, like all I've ever seen. The Islander MC-4 I used to have had Grover stamped on the tuners, also interesting, both of these have no markings.

Kanilea on the left, Islander on the right.

I would be interested!

Top Bottom