Fret Dressing Tip: Finger Nail Buffer

sequoia

Reaction score
I got this tip off a Myo-Moe video and thought it was a good one and would pass it along if you didn't already know. After leveling, crowning and hemi-semi-spherisizing (?!?) your frets, use a 7 sided ladies finger nail buffer to clean up and shine the frets. Just go through the 7 grits to polish and take off any remaining tang edges. These are available in my local supermarket and go on sale for as little as 99 cents each. They are in the ladies cosmetic section right next to the tampons, pancake make-up and tweezers. A place you uke builders hang out a lot I'm sure. The bad news is that they are only good for one fret job before they are cooked as you can see in the picture.

Today while dressing frets the thought occurred to me that I really pity the poor guy who does fret jobs for a living. I could not imagine doing this all day long every day.

DSCN5913.jpg

Yup. Works great! Since the video we made about these, the buffer we like went "out of print." Seriously. No longer available in any store or online. So, Gordon went on Ali Baba and we found someone to make them for us. We had to buy a pallet worth, but it will be a lifetime of fret end buffing! The ones we use get 2-3 uses, which is good.
A

Nice tip. Hope I can get over the embarrassment of buying a nail buffer :rolleyes:

Top Bottom