PDA

View Full Version : Normal for strings to cut into tie bridge?

Andy Chen
03-18-2015, 06:34 AM
This just happened, albeit lightly, to my Dec 2014-manufactured Koaloha tenor.

I noticed this while changing strings.

The E and A strings have cut into the bridge.

If this normal? Will the strings continue to cut deeper into the bridge?

Gary52
03-18-2015, 06:43 AM
I have a Kala tenor on which the strings have cut into the bridge a bit. I think that they are more dents than cuts, though. The uke is about 5 years old, and the denting hasn't progressed much from what occurred early on.

hawaii 50
03-18-2015, 07:32 AM
I notice that all my bridges if tie on...have dents or cuts in them...I don't worry about it...but if I feel they are too deep I will check with the builders....I guess you can send back to Ko'Aloha but might be way to early now....but you pay the shipping so it is up to you....:)

SteveZ
03-18-2015, 08:06 AM
It happens. It's only wood, not steel being pushed down at high pressure by the tension placed on the strings. it's not a "cut', but instead is "compression." It's another reason why staying within the string tension rates for which the instrument is designed is important.

Dan Uke
03-18-2015, 09:13 AM
I know the bowtie bridges that Koaloha used to make cut into it real quickly. I notified Koaloha and they changed the bridge. I would contact them and see what they think.

hawaii 50
03-18-2015, 10:25 AM
I know the bowtie bridges that Koaloha used to make cut into it real quickly. I notified Koaloha and they changed the bridge. I would contact them and see what they think.

Ko'Aloha has been using the Bow tie bridge on their Black/Red Labels and some their custom ukes...not sure they use them on the production stuff...I think they use stronger or better wood for the Bowtie bridge now.....

I know their Crown bridges used to get loose so they stopped using those...but I have seen a few customs with them...

Dan Uke
03-18-2015, 11:08 AM
Ko'Aloha has been using the Bow tie bridge on their Black/Red Labels and some their custom ukes...not sure they use them on the production stuff...I think they use stronger or better wood for the Bowtie bridge now.....

I know their Crown bridges used to get loose so they stopped using those...but I have seen a few customs with them...

I just know my personal experience. Brian Benvente, manager, was very helpful and took care of it.

Andy Chen
03-18-2015, 02:07 PM
Thanks for your replies, everyone.

I'm not too concerned for now. Will wait and see.