Normal for strings to cut into tie bridge?

Andy Chen

Reaction score
This just happened, albeit lightly, to my Dec 2014-manufactured Koaloha tenor.

I noticed this while changing strings.

The E and A strings have cut into the bridge.

If this normal? Will the strings continue to cut deeper into the bridge?

I have a Kala tenor on which the strings have cut into the bridge a bit. I think that they are more dents than cuts, though. The uke is about 5 years old, and the denting hasn't progressed much from what occurred early on.

I notice that all my bridges if tie on...have dents or cuts in them...I don't worry about it...but if I feel they are too deep I will check with the builders....I guess you can send back to Ko'Aloha but might be way to early now....but you pay the shipping so it is up to you....:)

It happens. It's only wood, not steel being pushed down at high pressure by the tension placed on the strings. it's not a "cut', but instead is "compression." It's another reason why staying within the string tension rates for which the instrument is designed is important.

I know the bowtie bridges that Koaloha used to make cut into it real quickly. I notified Koaloha and they changed the bridge. I would contact them and see what they think.

I know the bowtie bridges that Koaloha used to make cut into it real quickly. I notified Koaloha and they changed the bridge. I would contact them and see what they think.

Ko'Aloha has been using the Bow tie bridge on their Black/Red Labels and some their custom ukes...not sure they use them on the production stuff...I think they use stronger or better wood for the Bowtie bridge now.....

I know their Crown bridges used to get loose so they stopped using those...but I have seen a few customs with them...

Ko'Aloha has been using the Bow tie bridge on their Black/Red Labels and some their custom ukes...not sure they use them on the production stuff...I think they use stronger or better wood for the Bowtie bridge now.....

I know their Crown bridges used to get loose so they stopped using those...but I have seen a few customs with them...

I just know my personal experience. Brian Benvente, manager, was very helpful and took care of it.

Thanks for your replies, everyone.

I'm not too concerned for now. Will wait and see.

Top Bottom