how big are your ukulele collections?

strongergodzilla

Reaction score
Just wondering how big UU members ukulele collections are, and what models most people are playing? I notice some people stick very closely to sizes, Nuke has mostly tenors, some ONLY concerts, etc. I want to try em all haha! I just got my first tenor and I already want to get a cheap soprano just for different tones sometimes.

I'll have a Pono PTE on tuesday, so that makes my collection...
:(

but maybe two in the not so distant future
:D

Mine

I have a rather small collection.... consisting of....

My freak of nature 'Lark' ukulele that I got at a garage sale and got me started into uke-ing. It isn't really a standard size... I guess it's closest to concert.

My Mitchell MU-100, which I consider to be a beautiful ukulele, though it is a laminate.... It's a concert size.

A Tenor Eleuke, one of their lower models, from Bugsgear. I wanted something that I could play silently on, and musicguymic had a sale....

And that's really it. I'd like to possibly add a soprano to my collection within the year, and then a few years out add a nice hawaiian one, which'll most likely be a concert size, wince I consider it to be the nice middle between the tenor and the soprano.

Just wondering how big UU members ukulele collections are, and what models most people are playing? I notice some people stick very closely to sizes, Nuke has mostly tenors, some ONLY concerts, etc. I want to try em all haha! I just got my first tenor and I already want to get a cheap soprano just for different tones sometimes.

I'll have a Pono PTE on tuesday, so that makes my collection...
:(

but maybe two in the not so distant future
:D

Im in the same boat, i have a mahalo... some cheap 12 fret uke, but i don't count that..

I have Lanikai Lu-21T, i need a better one... Money sucks in life -.-

My uke collection (so far)

Standard Prelude ukulele.
My first ukulele. This is where it all began. This uke seen some better days. I now passed it down to a friend of mine, he passed it down to his son :D

Concert Kamaka ukulele
The upgrade from the Prelude that I owned. I had to get straight A's in order to get it. I practically begged my parents for one. Hahahaha. Easily one of the best decisions they've ever made. LOL

Concert KoAloha ukulele
I won this from an ukulele contest. I played Gm Fleas to obtain this one. Pretty nice.

Super concert Lumanog ukulele
The fabled custom Lumanog ukulele. This uke is from the "I'll be here a while" and "Loud phrases from the quiet type" video. To my knowledge... there's only 3 out there that Emilio made. I own one... titoboy owns the other... and there's a tenor one that I sold to my friend Abe. Yeah... I'm still kicking my own butt over that one hahaha.

Tenor Applause ukulele (Yellow)
I sold the Lumanog to buy myself one of these. Back in the day I used to perform a lot and the active pickup on these really fitted me well. I used a lot of pedals as well so they went great with the sound I was looking for. It's the uke you guys see in the "elephant town" cover hahaha.

Tenor Applause ukulele (Black)
I don't know why... but for some reason I bought the same uke but in another color... just because hahaha. Actually, this one sounded different than the yellow one. I tried different settings on it :D It's the uke from the "Bandito Tyler (first take)" and "Flashman theme" videos.

Tenor Kamaka ukulele
Mika. The one seen in most of the videos on YouTube and ALL the instructional videos. I got this for myself on my 22nd bday. I bought it stock with a passive pickup. Gave it to Jake Shimabukuro for some touch ups. BAM! We got ourselves a winner. Truly a beautiful instrument.

Yay! :3

Based on my lack of talent, I really don't deserve these, but have them. They really do inspire to me learn faster to say the least:

1. Oscar Schmidt concert (first uke purchased...got me hooked..is signed by Jake!)

2. Koaloha super concert (probably play this the most)

3. Pono mango spruce cut-away ac/elec. tenor (pono prototype = only one ever made..does that count as a custom..haha..the sound is amazing..)

4. Pono mohag. tenor ac/elec. tenor

5. Koaloha tenor with fishman powered pick-up installed by Koaloha

Last edited:

My first ukulele. This is where it all began. This uke seen some better days. I now passed it down to a friend of mine, he passed it down to his son :D

Concert Kamaka ukulele
The upgrade from the Prelude that I owned. I had to get straight A's in order to get it. I practically begged my parents for one. Hahahaha. Easily one of the best decisions they've ever made. LOL

Concert KoAloha ukulele
I won this from an ukulele contest. I played Gm Fleas to obtain this one. Pretty nice.

The fabled custom Lumanog ukulele. This uke is from the "I'll be here a while" and "Loud phrases from the quiet type" video. To my knowledge... there's only 3 out there that Emilio made. I own one... titoboy owns the other... and there's a tenor one that I sold to my friend Abe. Yeah... I'm still kicking my own butt over that one hahaha.

I sold the Lumanog to buy myself one of these. Back in the day I used to perform a lot and the active pickup on these really fitted me well. I used a lot of pedals as well so they went great with the sound I was looking for. It's the uke you guys see in the "elephant town" cover hahaha.

I don't know why... but for some reason I bought the same uke but in another color... just because hahaha. Actually, this one sounded different than the yellow one. I tried different settings on it :D It's the uke from the "Bandito Tyler (first take)" and "Flashman theme" videos.

Tenor Kamaka ukulele
Mika. The one seen in most of the videos on YouTube and ALL the instructional videos. I got this for myself on my 22nd bday. I bought it stock with a passive pickup. Gave it to Jake Shimabukuro for some touch ups. BAM! We got ourselves a winner. Truly a beautiful instrument.

man aldrine i think sumone kept asking how many ukuleles you had last night on the live show, and you kept overlooking him. At least you wrote it all in here with descriptive fashion. So that lumanog in your string video is gone now? Oh wait nvm i reread it, u still have the other one.

but yeah... for me
3 ukuleles, 1 at musicguymic's shop

1. Lyric soprano ukulele from cebu
2. Mitchell Mu-70 ukulele from Guitar Center, girlfriend has this one now.
3. Kala Mango KA-MT ukuele from ukulele4u on ebay
4. (returned yesterday) Kiwaya K-wave Rockuke
5. Kala Black Tenor Mahogany series with shadow pickup.

por ukuleles making me poor.

Last edited:

My first ukulele. This is where it all began. This uke seen some better days. I now passed it down to a friend of mine, he passed it down to his son

Concert Kamaka ukulele

Concert KoAloha ukulele

Tenor Kamaka ukulele

That tenor Kamaka :)
I know i said i would pay 3k, assuming i dont have that... can i pay what u paid for it, then half of it?? :D

anyway, you got a huge collection... i like the ukulele you played on youtube "im yours" sounds very good :)

okay I play for half a year now and it seems that I spend the time with buying ukuleles rather than playing them ;)

Schaepe UK-10
This was my first Ukulele. Cheap, China-made, won't keep in tune for long,
though it doesn't sound bad at all and I had fun with it too. Now I repainted it so it serves the needs of the eyes at least.

Brueko No. 6
MY second Ukulele. It is being produced in Germany. It's really a good deal to buy one of these (but I don't believe you get them if you live outside Europe, if you don't want to buy horrendous shipping and tax), because they are cheap (120$), but are of really good quality. It's made out of massive Mahagony, it keeps in tune, it looks simple, but good and the sound is amazing.

Applause UAE.. you know which one I mean, the Soprano size, black one with the pick up.
It's really a nice Ukulele. But I can't say much about it because I don't play it for too long (got it this saturday).

Well these are all my ukuleles, well only for the momment, as I'm planning to save some money for a nice traditionally shaped concert ukulele. Probably Pono or Ko'aloha or Risa. And those Risa e-ukuleles and solids look interesting too. And of course the Flea and Flukes and maybe a Pineapple...
I guess you see my problem

man aldrine i think sumone kept asking how many ukuleles you had last night on the live show, and you kept overlooking him. At least you wrote it all in here with descriptive fashion. So that lumanog in your string video is gone now? Oh wait nvm i reread it, u still have the other one.

but yeah... for me
3 ukuleles, 1 at musicguymic's shop

1. Lyric soprano ukulele from cebu
2. Mitchell Mu-70 ukulele from Guitar Center, girlfriend has this one now.
3. Kala Mango KA-MT ukuele from ukulele4u on ebay
4. (returned yesterday) Kiwaya K-wave Rockuke
5. Kala Black Tenor Mahogany series with shadow pickup.

por ukuleles making me poor.

how does the black kala sound, i wanna get the same one

ok so i guess i might as well go on with my list.

leolani toy ukulele with friction tuners. never holds its tune. intonation is absolutely horrible. but its so CUTE! hahaha. i let my daughter play with this one. she likes to sit on it.

first act soprano ukulele. yeah, from walmart. actually has geared tuners on it. intonation sucks too. holds its tune though. sounds like its made from particle board. i gave this to my son. i doubt he's playing it though.

hilo baritone ukulele. bought this on a whim. was going to a restaurant with some friends and saw a little shop. went to the back, and there it was. it was $50. i couldnt resist hahaha. fun to play, but sounds like junk.

makala concert ukulele. made of some kind of wood "similar" to mahogany. actually doesnt sound horrible, considering it was only $50 too. this is the one i cut the slots into.

lanikai O-6 tenor. solid spruce top, ovankol back and sides. was a 6 string. converted it to a 4 string. my only decent uke with no electronics on it. and the only one tuned to low G. on the lower side of the price spectrum, but probably my 3rd best sounding uke hehehe.

leolani zebrawood tenor. my first real uke. bought it at the aloha stadium flea market when i was visiting a friend in hawaii. my 2nd best sounding uke. solid zebrawood top and back. laminated sides. signed by jake. not the best sounding, but has the most value to me.

kala ka-k6ec tenor cutaway. koa laminate body. was also a 6 string converted to 4. the is the one i perform with. it was my second most expensive uke, but doesnt sound as nice as the lanikai. and cost more than twice as much. but it looks really cool! hahaha.

ko'olau pono PTOCE solid mahogany tenor cutaway. my best sounding uke. my prettiest uke. my most expensive uke. hahaha. this is the one that i baby the most. i know its not as awesome as some of the others. but its what i could afford. and right now, i just cant justify a $1k+ uke at my skill level. but im working at it. one of these days.

I have more than all you.

1) 2003 Koaloha with plenny stickers.

unless i count the shoebox ukulele i made in the 3rd grade. then thats two!!

nothing compared to you guys but here it is:

-i have a $25 Johnson uke from ebay (my very first uke, very very horrible and currently sitting in my closet haha)
-i borrowed a concert maui music from my brother's friend. sounded awesome, shoulda borrowed it longer hehe
-have a Kala KTEC with active pickup. this is the uke i play daily

I plan to get a custom uke as soon as i finish schooling and get my degree..... im thinking a mango tenor. but thats a long time from now hehe

At the moment, I only have three:

Cordoba Concert, my first uke. Cordoba definitely had quality control issues- I had to go to four Guitar Centers before I found one that didn’t have major setup issues, but after I found the right one, it’s not a bad sounding (or looking) uke.

Maui Music Tenor, pre-fire. I really like this uke. Great action, feel and sound, and I also like the funny shaped headstock. I’ve logged some serious hours on it lately.

Kamaka HF3 Tenor. Just got it a week ago. It’s a beautiful looking and sounding instrument, and the understated, undecorated look appeal to me.

The two tenors are currently battling it out for playing time. I think one will be my office uke as soon as I figure out a good way to lock it up in my office at night.

I also have a cheap Kala soprano that I gave my son for Christmas. He’s two and a half. It’s still in one piece, but I don’t know for how long…..

Began teaching myself 5 years ago to play using my daughters Hilo soprano, the one my mom sent to her 11 years ago. It used to sound better, with more volume, when it had the original clear nylon strings. But the strings were so tight and hard to press that I changed out to the gold nylon. Definitely easier to press but the volume went down. The intonation is good up until the 4th fret then I cant make a chord in tune. I still treasure it though because it learned al the songs I know on it. But I got tired of its sound and started teaching myself blues piano.

Then Christmas came and my parents suprised me with a beautiful koa Kamaka Tenor. I can't put the thing down and I hear so many overtones that my playing has really taken off, even trying to pick out melodies, something I suck at. I am in heaven when I play this one.

Finally, I am waiting receipt of the Kala sorprano that I won in the UU giveaway?!! I can't believe I'll have 2 ukes, garnered in less than 3 months (I have to give the Hilo back to my daughter).

My ukulele collection currently consists of:

Pono PKC-1E - Concert Koa
KoAloha KCM-00 - Concert Koa
Koa Pili Koko - Deluxe Soprano Acacia
FLEA - Concert neck

On order:
GString Sun Concert
Custom Boatpaddle uke
Custom DaSilva uke

Regards,
Julie Strietelmeier
http://ukulelereview.com

Mahalo Flying V (Which I'm giving to my friend for his birthday)
Mahalo Baritone

I'l hoping to get a semi-accoustic for mah birthday. I'm a real class act.

On order:
GString Sun Concert
Custom Boatpaddle uke
Custom DaSilva uke

Regards,
Julie Strietelmeier
http://ukulelereview.com

Oh man, I've salivated over the G-String Sun concert for a long time now but never had the occasion to buy one. And I don't have any good reason to get it now either. I look forward to a review on your site. The G-String concerts I've tried all were excellent ukes.

My first uke is a 1950's favilla saprano i found in a pawn shop

then i got a tenor lanakai

now i have a 1980's kamaka 6 string

Wow I'm so jealous of everyone's collections :D:D

My first ukulele was a $25-30 Johnson soprano ukulele which I traded with someone for a $40 Hilo Soprano uke. Bummed around with that thing for YEARS and I finally got a Kala KTEC from MGM on ebay.

The Kala is way better than my hilo so it gets way more playing time hehe. Maybe someday I can afford to buy a nicer ukulele :)

Top Bottom