PDA

View Full Version : how big are your ukulele collections?

strongergodzilla
03-02-2008, 05:07 PM
Just wondering how big UU members ukulele collections are, and what models most people are playing? I notice some people stick very closely to sizes, Nuke has mostly tenors, some ONLY concerts, etc. I want to try em all haha! I just got my first tenor and I already want to get a cheap soprano just for different tones sometimes.

I'll have a Pono PTE on tuesday, so that makes my collection...
:(

but maybe two in the not so distant future
:D

Ian Boys
03-02-2008, 05:24 PM
I have a rather small collection.... consisting of....

My freak of nature 'Lark' ukulele that I got at a garage sale and got me started into uke-ing. It isn't really a standard size... I guess it's closest to concert.

My Mitchell MU-100, which I consider to be a beautiful ukulele, though it is a laminate.... It's a concert size.

A Tenor Eleuke, one of their lower models, from Bugsgear. I wanted something that I could play silently on, and musicguymic had a sale....

And that's really it. I'd like to possibly add a soprano to my collection within the year, and then a few years out add a nice hawaiian one, which'll most likely be a concert size, wince I consider it to be the nice middle between the tenor and the soprano.

UkuLeLesReggAe
03-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Just wondering how big UU members ukulele collections are, and what models most people are playing? I notice some people stick very closely to sizes, Nuke has mostly tenors, some ONLY concerts, etc. I want to try em all haha! I just got my first tenor and I already want to get a cheap soprano just for different tones sometimes.

I'll have a Pono PTE on tuesday, so that makes my collection...
:(

but maybe two in the not so distant future

Im in the same boat, i have a mahalo... some cheap 12 fret uke, but i don't count that..

I have Lanikai Lu-21T, i need a better one... Money sucks in life -.-

Aldrine Guerrero
03-02-2008, 06:28 PM
My uke collection (so far)

Standard Prelude ukulele.
My first ukulele. This is where it all began. This uke seen some better days. I now passed it down to a friend of mine, he passed it down to his son :D

Concert Kamaka ukulele
The upgrade from the Prelude that I owned. I had to get straight A's in order to get it. I practically begged my parents for one. Hahahaha. Easily one of the best decisions they've ever made. LOL

Concert KoAloha ukulele
I won this from an ukulele contest. I played Gm Fleas to obtain this one. Pretty nice.

Super concert Lumanog ukulele
The fabled custom Lumanog ukulele. This uke is from the "I'll be here a while" and "Loud phrases from the quiet type" video. To my knowledge... there's only 3 out there that Emilio made. I own one... titoboy owns the other... and there's a tenor one that I sold to my friend Abe. Yeah... I'm still kicking my own butt over that one hahaha.

Tenor Applause ukulele (Yellow)
I sold the Lumanog to buy myself one of these. Back in the day I used to perform a lot and the active pickup on these really fitted me well. I used a lot of pedals as well so they went great with the sound I was looking for. It's the uke you guys see in the "elephant town" cover hahaha.

Tenor Applause ukulele (Black)
I don't know why... but for some reason I bought the same uke but in another color... just because hahaha. Actually, this one sounded different than the yellow one. I tried different settings on it :D It's the uke from the "Bandito Tyler (first take)" and "Flashman theme" videos.

Tenor Kamaka ukulele
Mika. The one seen in most of the videos on YouTube and ALL the instructional videos. I got this for myself on my 22nd bday. I bought it stock with a passive pickup. Gave it to Jake Shimabukuro for some touch ups. BAM! We got ourselves a winner. Truly a beautiful instrument.

Yay! :3

UKESTAR
03-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Based on my lack of talent, I really don't deserve these, but have them. They really do inspire to me learn faster to say the least:

1. Oscar Schmidt concert (first uke purchased...got me hooked..is signed by Jake!)

2. Koaloha super concert (probably play this the most)

3. Pono mango spruce cut-away ac/elec. tenor (pono prototype = only one ever made..does that count as a custom..haha..the sound is amazing..)

4. Pono mohag. tenor ac/elec. tenor

5. Koaloha tenor with fishman powered pick-up installed by Koaloha

Ukulele_Junkie
03-02-2008, 06:31 PM

My first ukulele. This is where it all began. This uke seen some better days. I now passed it down to a friend of mine, he passed it down to his son :D

Concert Kamaka ukulele
The upgrade from the Prelude that I owned. I had to get straight A's in order to get it. I practically begged my parents for one. Hahahaha. Easily one of the best decisions they've ever made. LOL

Concert KoAloha ukulele
I won this from an ukulele contest. I played Gm Fleas to obtain this one. Pretty nice.

The fabled custom Lumanog ukulele. This uke is from the "I'll be here a while" and "Loud phrases from the quiet type" video. To my knowledge... there's only 3 out there that Emilio made. I own one... titoboy owns the other... and there's a tenor one that I sold to my friend Abe. Yeah... I'm still kicking my own butt over that one hahaha.

I sold the Lumanog to buy myself one of these. Back in the day I used to perform a lot and the active pickup on these really fitted me well. I used a lot of pedals as well so they went great with the sound I was looking for. It's the uke you guys see in the "elephant town" cover hahaha.

I don't know why... but for some reason I bought the same uke but in another color... just because hahaha. Actually, this one sounded different than the yellow one. I tried different settings on it :D It's the uke from the "Bandito Tyler (first take)" and "Flashman theme" videos.

Tenor Kamaka ukulele
Mika. The one seen in most of the videos on YouTube and ALL the instructional videos. I got this for myself on my 22nd bday. I bought it stock with a passive pickup. Gave it to Jake Shimabukuro for some touch ups. BAM! We got ourselves a winner. Truly a beautiful instrument.

man aldrine i think sumone kept asking how many ukuleles you had last night on the live show, and you kept overlooking him. At least you wrote it all in here with descriptive fashion. So that lumanog in your string video is gone now? Oh wait nvm i reread it, u still have the other one.

but yeah... for me
3 ukuleles, 1 at musicguymic's shop

1. Lyric soprano ukulele from cebu
2. Mitchell Mu-70 ukulele from Guitar Center, girlfriend has this one now.
3. Kala Mango KA-MT ukuele from ukulele4u on ebay
4. (returned yesterday) Kiwaya K-wave Rockuke
5. Kala Black Tenor Mahogany series with shadow pickup.

por ukuleles making me poor.

UkuLeLesReggAe
03-02-2008, 06:32 PM

My first ukulele. This is where it all began. This uke seen some better days. I now passed it down to a friend of mine, he passed it down to his son

Concert Kamaka ukulele

Concert KoAloha ukulele

Tenor Kamaka ukulele

That tenor Kamaka :)
I know i said i would pay 3k, assuming i dont have that... can i pay what u paid for it, then half of it?? :D

anyway, you got a huge collection... i like the ukulele you played on youtube "im yours" sounds very good :)

bof
03-02-2008, 07:56 PM
okay I play for half a year now and it seems that I spend the time with buying ukuleles rather than playing them ;)

Schaepe UK-10
This was my first Ukulele. Cheap, China-made, won't keep in tune for long,
though it doesn't sound bad at all and I had fun with it too. Now I repainted it so it serves the needs of the eyes at least.

Brueko No. 6
MY second Ukulele. It is being produced in Germany. It's really a good deal to buy one of these (but I don't believe you get them if you live outside Europe, if you don't want to buy horrendous shipping and tax), because they are cheap (120$), but are of really good quality. It's made out of massive Mahagony, it keeps in tune, it looks simple, but good and the sound is amazing.

Applause UAE.. you know which one I mean, the Soprano size, black one with the pick up.
It's really a nice Ukulele. But I can't say much about it because I don't play it for too long (got it this saturday).

Well these are all my ukuleles, well only for the momment, as I'm planning to save some money for a nice traditionally shaped concert ukulele. Probably Pono or Ko'aloha or Risa. And those Risa e-ukuleles and solids look interesting too. And of course the Flea and Flukes and maybe a Pineapple...
I guess you see my problem

ukulele123
03-02-2008, 08:18 PM
man aldrine i think sumone kept asking how many ukuleles you had last night on the live show, and you kept overlooking him. At least you wrote it all in here with descriptive fashion. So that lumanog in your string video is gone now? Oh wait nvm i reread it, u still have the other one.

but yeah... for me
3 ukuleles, 1 at musicguymic's shop

1. Lyric soprano ukulele from cebu
2. Mitchell Mu-70 ukulele from Guitar Center, girlfriend has this one now.
3. Kala Mango KA-MT ukuele from ukulele4u on ebay
4. (returned yesterday) Kiwaya K-wave Rockuke
5. Kala Black Tenor Mahogany series with shadow pickup.

por ukuleles making me poor.

how does the black kala sound, i wanna get the same one

NukeDOC
03-02-2008, 08:24 PM
ok so i guess i might as well go on with my list.

leolani toy ukulele with friction tuners. never holds its tune. intonation is absolutely horrible. but its so CUTE! hahaha. i let my daughter play with this one. she likes to sit on it.

first act soprano ukulele. yeah, from walmart. actually has geared tuners on it. intonation sucks too. holds its tune though. sounds like its made from particle board. i gave this to my son. i doubt he's playing it though.

hilo baritone ukulele. bought this on a whim. was going to a restaurant with some friends and saw a little shop. went to the back, and there it was. it was $50. i couldnt resist hahaha. fun to play, but sounds like junk.

makala concert ukulele. made of some kind of wood "similar" to mahogany. actually doesnt sound horrible, considering it was only $50 too. this is the one i cut the slots into.

lanikai O-6 tenor. solid spruce top, ovankol back and sides. was a 6 string. converted it to a 4 string. my only decent uke with no electronics on it. and the only one tuned to low G. on the lower side of the price spectrum, but probably my 3rd best sounding uke hehehe.

leolani zebrawood tenor. my first real uke. bought it at the aloha stadium flea market when i was visiting a friend in hawaii. my 2nd best sounding uke. solid zebrawood top and back. laminated sides. signed by jake. not the best sounding, but has the most value to me.

kala ka-k6ec tenor cutaway. koa laminate body. was also a 6 string converted to 4. the is the one i perform with. it was my second most expensive uke, but doesnt sound as nice as the lanikai. and cost more than twice as much. but it looks really cool! hahaha.

ko'olau pono PTOCE solid mahogany tenor cutaway. my best sounding uke. my prettiest uke. my most expensive uke. hahaha. this is the one that i baby the most. i know its not as awesome as some of the others. but its what i could afford. and right now, i just cant justify a $1k+ uke at my skill level. but im working at it. one of these days.

tsudawuda
03-02-2008, 08:32 PM
I have more than all you.

1) 2003 Koaloha with plenny stickers.

unless i count the shoebox ukulele i made in the 3rd grade. then thats two!!

studentaccount1
03-02-2008, 08:46 PM
My collection is adequate.... :P

tripl3thr33
03-02-2008, 09:18 PM
nothing compared to you guys but here it is:

-i have a $25 Johnson uke from ebay (my very first uke, very very horrible and currently sitting in my closet haha)
-i borrowed a concert maui music from my brother's friend. sounded awesome, shoulda borrowed it longer hehe
-have a Kala KTEC with active pickup. this is the uke i play daily

I plan to get a custom uke as soon as i finish schooling and get my degree..... im thinking a mango tenor. but thats a long time from now hehe

Ukulele Dude
03-03-2008, 05:37 AM
At the moment, I only have three:

Cordoba Concert, my first uke. Cordoba definitely had quality control issues- I had to go to four Guitar Centers before I found one that didnít have major setup issues, but after I found the right one, itís not a bad sounding (or looking) uke.

Maui Music Tenor, pre-fire. I really like this uke. Great action, feel and sound, and I also like the funny shaped headstock. Iíve logged some serious hours on it lately.

Kamaka HF3 Tenor. Just got it a week ago. Itís a beautiful looking and sounding instrument, and the understated, undecorated look appeal to me.

The two tenors are currently battling it out for playing time. I think one will be my office uke as soon as I figure out a good way to lock it up in my office at night.

I also have a cheap Kala soprano that I gave my son for Christmas. Heís two and a half. Itís still in one piece, but I donít know for how longÖ..

menehunenyc
03-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Began teaching myself 5 years ago to play using my daughters Hilo soprano, the one my mom sent to her 11 years ago. It used to sound better, with more volume, when it had the original clear nylon strings. But the strings were so tight and hard to press that I changed out to the gold nylon. Definitely easier to press but the volume went down. The intonation is good up until the 4th fret then I cant make a chord in tune. I still treasure it though because it learned al the songs I know on it. But I got tired of its sound and started teaching myself blues piano.

Then Christmas came and my parents suprised me with a beautiful koa Kamaka Tenor. I can't put the thing down and I hear so many overtones that my playing has really taken off, even trying to pick out melodies, something I suck at. I am in heaven when I play this one.

Finally, I am waiting receipt of the Kala sorprano that I won in the UU giveaway?!! I can't believe I'll have 2 ukes, garnered in less than 3 months (I have to give the Hilo back to my daughter).

julie
03-03-2008, 10:40 AM
My ukulele collection currently consists of:

Pono PKC-1E - Concert Koa
KoAloha KCM-00 - Concert Koa
Koa Pili Koko - Deluxe Soprano Acacia
FLEA - Concert neck

On order:
GString Sun Concert
Custom Boatpaddle uke
Custom DaSilva uke

Regards,
Julie Strietelmeier
http://ukulelereview.com

Jimmy
03-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Mahalo Flying V (Which I'm giving to my friend for his birthday)
Mahalo Baritone

I'l hoping to get a semi-accoustic for mah birthday. I'm a real class act.

GX9901
03-03-2008, 11:19 AM
On order:
GString Sun Concert
Custom Boatpaddle uke
Custom DaSilva uke

Regards,
Julie Strietelmeier
http://ukulelereview.com

Oh man, I've salivated over the G-String Sun concert for a long time now but never had the occasion to buy one. And I don't have any good reason to get it now either. I look forward to a review on your site. The G-String concerts I've tried all were excellent ukes.

modi
03-03-2008, 11:26 AM
My first uke is a 1950's favilla saprano i found in a pawn shop

then i got a tenor lanakai

now i have a 1980's kamaka 6 string

davoomac
03-03-2008, 12:28 PM
Wow I'm so jealous of everyone's collections :D:D

My first ukulele was a $25-30 Johnson soprano ukulele which I traded with someone for a $40 Hilo Soprano uke. Bummed around with that thing for YEARS and I finally got a Kala KTEC from MGM on ebay.

The Kala is way better than my hilo so it gets way more playing time hehe. Maybe someday I can afford to buy a nicer ukulele :)

julie
03-03-2008, 03:12 PM
GX9901:

I'm almost to the point of giving up on receiving the GString Sun... I ordered it the last week in December and it's still not here. I guess Derek Shimizu at GString is super picky about the inlay work and only allows a few instruments to go through after he inspects them. That reminds me, the last time I talked to him, he said 2 weeks. I need to find out when that was ;)

koa
03-03-2008, 03:35 PM
The number and quality exceed my ability.
Order of purchase:
1. '05 KoAloha concert KSM-00, my 2nd favorite uke.
2. '05 KoAloha tenor KTM-00, it really doesn't get played. For sale.
3. KoAlana soprano, 1st gen. The real suprise. Not bad sound for $139. It's the let anyone handle, take and go anywhere uke.
4. '07 KoAloha soprano KSM-02
5. King A5 #009 custom soprano.
6. King A5 #008, my #1 'ukulele. No need to ever buy another soprano.

Bit sad for someone with limited ability and only playing for ~4 years.
Waiting on a 14 fret concert Glyph. If the Glyph is as expected. That is it. No more uke purchases. Just enjoy the ones I own.

ukulelemike
03-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Hi,

Ukuleles...

Tinny Chinese Phoenix PU-(I kid you not)-211
Aria Concert ACU-250 (current offered for sale on Australian Trading post)
Ohana SK-25 soprano (on the way, but not yet arrived)
Cole Clark Ukelady 3 (soprano/concert)

uber_goober
03-04-2008, 05:03 AM
In order of purchase (I still have all of them):

Old Harmony soprano - my first instrument that really got me into ukulele

No name barritone - made in Germany. I purchased it when the Harmony was in for repairs.

Lanikai Tenor - because everyone I saw was playing tenor. :)

Bucks Soprano - a local luthier (here in PA) makes sopranos. Mine is cherry wood with a graphite reinforced neck. Super thin top. Very "vintage" sounding. This was supposed to be the "last ukulele I needed". Then I went to Hawaii...

KoAloha longneck pineapple - most excellent. Purchased on my first trip to Oahu. Lots of memories in this one.

Risa solid body tenor - fun, but I find myself playing it the least

KoAloha concert - also most excellent

titoboy5
03-04-2008, 07:42 AM
still gots my prelude,lumanog,and applause. cant find that other uke and gave away my hilo

UkuCouS
03-04-2008, 09:34 AM
I got one and ony uke, it's a Ashbury Tenor, it got a pretty good sound I think.

When I read this topic, it makes me laugh, on the two French ukulele forums that exists, we got something that we've called UAS, or Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome, and I see that is finally International, everyone who's loving the ukulele allways wants more and more and more ukes. ^.^

crookshankz
03-05-2008, 04:04 AM
I've got a Mitchell concert uke that I recieved a as a Christmas gift (my first Ukulele). A Soprano Tiki Flea, a Tenor Kala (not sure of the model number but it's got a solid spruce top, mahogany back and cut away). I also, just ordered a Tenor Fluke.

I absolutely love my Kala but, with a wife, a child and multiple pet's I fear for it's safety :-) If it got damaged I'd have to go into therapy. I think the Fluke could take the potential beating that being left out in my household could cause. I know my Flea has.

dajoka
03-05-2008, 06:40 AM
-i have a $25 Johnson uke from ebay (my very first uke, very very horrible and currently sitting in my closet haha)

ha ha ha me too. I tink it was da horrible intonation of my Johnson dat helped let my wife say YES to my new Pono (wen was on sale last summah).

So fo me, i get

(1) $25 johnson (neva touch um since I wen get my pono)
(2) Pono PTC

Regster
03-06-2008, 11:01 AM
-an old harmony baritone (ok uke)
-kala ka-kb baritone (nice Uke)
-mahalo flying v is my fav for some reason prolly it has something to do with the looks

Caspyr
03-09-2008, 09:37 AM
Just two here.

A Chuck Moore tenor and a Maui Music tenor

ukulelemike
03-10-2008, 12:51 AM
Hi,

Ukuleles...

Ohana SK-25 arrived today and looks and sounds great:D

nikolo727
03-10-2008, 04:58 AM
i want a flea uke so badly!

i saw william macy play it on opra and i really want one to add to my collection.

i already have a soprano, hilo, uke.

and a lanikai tenor uke.

now a flea uke would be cool!

PS: im getting wall hangers off of ebay so thats gonna be sweet!

redsedge
03-10-2008, 10:37 AM
I have one ukulele. A Makala yellow jobbie with a dolphin shaped bridge. I love it so much that today I ordered Aquila strings and got the beeswax out for the fretboard.

Am looking to upgrade in May (my birthday). Tried a Lanikai but my untutored ear couldn't hear much difference to my Makala. Tried a Martin - that was nice and then a Kauai (all sopranos) which sounded similar to the Martin. The Flea sounded clunky in comparison. Was outbid on ebay on a La Foley (it went for £187).

Next I want to play a mango Kala and a koa Kala. Can anyone out there tell me what they sound like? I really like the look of the mango.

Of course, I do not suffer from UAS. I don't even have early symptoms.

hubcapserf
03-11-2008, 06:02 AM
My first uke was a Cordoba KOA soprano. I keep light strings on that one tuned to A D F# B.

I also have an Alegre Ovaition soprano I brought back from Cebu. That is a sweet uke with a solid Philippino mahogany back,spruce top, and awesome Abalone inlays. Had to tweak it before it was really playable though. I put heavy gauge Koolau gold strings on it and also tune to A.

And then I have a Pono PKC2 concert with a nice curly top. anyone who has a Pono will probably agree that is a good uke. It is the one I play most of the time. Aquila's tuned to G.:shaka:

Also, I have a Bushman Englemann spruce top tenor. I got a great deal on Sleazbay. It's a decent uke, I got it for a beater I guess. Aquila's tuned to G.

One day I will break down and get a Kamaka tenor. I think those Compass Rose's sycamore uke's are interesting too. Wish I could hear one.

NotoriousMOK
03-12-2008, 08:42 PM
My first is a Fluke/concert -- held up well for the abuse it's taken. I use LowG Worth's on it and it sounds pretty darn good all things considered. I'm considering making a new fretboard for it and replacing the soundboard with some kind of mix/striped pattern just to see how it would come out -- maybe a mahogany/spruce zebra stripe sorta thing -- still an ideal in the works. This thought came about because it's on it's second molded fretboard and needs to be sent back for replacement (mfg does it for free) again. I can have them upgrade it to rosewood for $85 or do it myself for a little less, and if I'm going to get into that, I may as well do something cool with the soundboard while I'm at it. Also gives me a chance to use a standard type bridge so I can use an undersaddle pickup.

Next is a Tiki Flea, which I bought because I wanted something that sounded a little more 'toyish' than the Fluke, and it worked out well. I was using Aquila's on it, but I recently changed to Worth HiG's and I'm glad I did -- sounds great -- I liked the Aquila's alot, but they were just a little too loud for me on this one, their texture also makes a little noise when I'm sliding up/down the board, and the worths being smooth eliminated this -- a good match for me anyways.

Last but not least is my new Gstring tenor, which I just received Monday, and I absolutely love it. It's really beautiful and I believe a good match for me. Totally different animal than I'm used to but a very welcome change that will certainly inspire me to really step up my practice and skills. It definately sets a new standard for ukes to come in my collection, so it will likely be that last for a couple years as I've got more than plenty to play now, and I'm after an upright bass that will be a whole new animal to tackle.

Thats it for me -- have fun!

Dino
03-19-2008, 10:09 AM
I have 4 uke's to my collection:

My very first uke is a Koa 4-string Tenor. My uncle who retired started making ukulele's so I asked if he could make me one. I wasnt expecting it, but my folks stepped in and gave it to me for X-mas. I don't know how much he charged them if anything at all.

My second uke is a 6-string Baritone. I don't know who the maker is because the label had since falled off. It has mother of pearl inlays, spruce top, a bolt-on neck. I actually bought this uke with the bridge off. I took it to my friend Tangi at tangiukuleles.com and he fixed it up for me.

My third uke is a Pono PKT. I purchsed this one from Musicguymic. Its an older 4-string Koa Tenor. I have this one set with Aquila strings. I have yet to try others on this uke. Such a nice and easy to play uke. The action is very easy to play.

My fourth and latest uke is a 6-string Koa 2-puka (sound hole) Tenor made by Tangiukuleles.com. I had orginally purchased and provided the Koa to be used to make the uke. I bought the Koa through Ebay. It is a very light colored curly Koa...possibly from the Big Island. It almost looks like Mango wood. This one is my favorite.

WS64
03-19-2008, 10:37 AM
10 Ukuleles...
http://ws64.com/Pictures/Instruments/Pix/round.jpg
3 Brükos
2 Billy Ray (Les Paul & Telecaster)
2 Ovation/Applause (Tenor & Soprano)
2 Johnson (Resonator & Bariton)
1 Schaepe

Jimmy
03-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Well, I gave my old ukulele to my best friend Carl, so I now have about one ukulele(s).

If anyone's collection's too large and they like to pay shipping to Ireland, I'd gladly take any, er, donations? Meh.

UKESTAR
03-19-2008, 11:37 AM
Dang WS64! You have serious UAS!:D I thought I had it bad...aha.

Well, I suffered a uke casualty today. It is bittersweet. I just got fed up with my Koaloha tenor. My Koaloha super concert is the bomb at gets a lot of playing time, but the tenor had some issues that need some serious attention. It was a beautiful uke to look at, but sound/workmanship is 99% with me...

Probs:
Scratched when pick-up installed by Koaloha
Chipped/cracked corner of bridge
A string dead on pick-up

Time to decide on a replacement..confused:

WS64
03-19-2008, 12:00 PM
Dang WS64! You have serious UAS!:D I thought I had it bad...aha.

Actually I don't...
You know the formula for how many ukuleles you need is:

(amount of ukuleles you need) = (amount of ukuleles you have) + 1

One day I found out I am just on ukulele behind that formula, and I sticked with that. For now... *g*

The OP even asked for "ukuelle collections", and I already felt bad and wanted to reply "I just have one ukulele collection"....

albertmunoz
03-19-2008, 12:22 PM
I have the first black mahalo (with sparkles, Yeah!), still play that every once in a while. I bought a tenor/travel banjo and strung it up as a tenor uke, loud sound, awesome to play. I received a Lehua Tenor for xmas, play that 99% of the time... except that on Friday I purchased a banjo-mandolin that is going to get strung up as an 8 string banjouke! should get it in the mail early next week... cant wait!

davoomac
03-19-2008, 02:57 PM
10 Ukuleles...
http://ws64.com/Pictures/Instruments/Pix/round.jpg
3 BrŁkos
2 Billy Ray (Les Paul & Telecaster)
2 Ovation/Applause (Tenor & Soprano)
2 Johnson (Resonator & Bariton)
1 Schaepe

what the...! thats plain nutty!:D

guitarguy159
03-20-2008, 12:26 AM
1. Lanikai Koa Tenor w/aquilla strings

2. Koaloha DVI 6string (guitar uke) w/ custom Worth Strings

russ_buss
03-20-2008, 05:36 AM
i have a Fluke Uke and my fiance just got a Kala Flame Maple Soprano. i'd like to get a koa tenor sometime soon. just need to pry my wallet open.

ukulelemike
03-20-2008, 11:32 AM
Hi,

Ukuleles...

Tinny Chinese Phoenix PU-(I kid you not)-211
Aria Concert ACU-250 (current offered for sale on Australian Trading post)
Cole Clark Ukelady 3 (soprano/concert)

Aria Sold, so I'm down to three--a ukulele pauper!

jjsdad
03-22-2008, 11:05 AM
I have three ukuleles:

Lanikai LU-21B Baritone
Aloha Royal No. 2654 Soprano
Oscar Schmidt OU2 Concert

I just need to buy a tenor to have one of each. :) Except my wife doesn't see the point. :(

Someone should post a poll to ask how many ukuleles do you own vs. level of experience. I'm still an advanced beginner.. Well, maybe a beginning intermediate...

northern uke
03-23-2008, 04:59 AM
I have 9 now with a Martin style 3 on the way. All sopranos with 1 concert. Some are cheapy toys but my players are; Tiki King Flea, vintage no name that screams like a banshee, and my Samich concert with D tuning. I expect the Martin to be my main player when it comes.:cool:

seth
03-23-2008, 01:33 PM
I've got 1 :(

Ask me how many basses I have though :D

buzzy
04-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Two:

1. Hilo soprano
2. Lanikai concert

I bought the Hilo a couple years ago when I was homesick for Hawaii and saw it in a music store here in California. Got frustrated because I couldn't tune it (when I was a kid the grownups would always tune them for me!), so I put it under my bed and forgot about it.

Last Nov, I got back from Maui and was all fired up to learn! I figured out how to tune, learned a few songs, but had trouble making the chords with my fingers, so I bought the bigger Lanikai and been playing that for a couple months. Weird, but now its not so hard to go back and play the soprano size!

If I can keep getting better, I think I'm going to start looking for a Hawaiian-made koa...

Phatzo
04-02-2008, 12:32 PM
I almost afraid to post this but, here we go now you have to promise that no one will get jealous, and dont ask me to try ti out cause I am the only one that touches it! I only have one and she has been pretty good to me, so here it is.
Concert sizes HILO, thats right a HILO. There is only like a million or so pushed out of the chinese sweat shop everyday. There pretty hard to get ahold of if yea know what I mean.:p

SnakeOiler
04-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Here's everything:

http://www.msprotege.com/members/pingdum/666.jpg

Sponge Bob w/1961 Silvertone........................................ ...................................Dog W/Mini Sopranini
Epi PeeWeeVee.............20's Slingerland May Bell.................Kala Archtop Tenor...............?Vintage Manjo?
'74 Ianez Les Paul...Kim Daniels Classical...70's Ovation Bass (Thumper?)...Gretsch G3900 Syncromatic...'88 Gibson SG Special II

russ_buss
04-02-2008, 01:00 PM
that's a Total F'ing nice collection you got there SnakeOiler!

here's mine:

http://www.nplease.com/instrument_ohana.jpg
2 ukes so far. more on the way i'm sure.:):):)

SnakeOiler
04-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Yes, my UAS has only recently surpassed my GAS. They're cheaper and cuter. Next I want an Akulele (http://www.worldfrets.com) and then a metal resonator and then a solid body electric and then..................

la_ingrit
04-02-2008, 01:10 PM
Here's everything:

Sponge Bob w/1961 Silvertone........................................ ...................................Dog W/Mini Sopranini
Epi PeeWeeVee.............20's Slingerland May Bell.................Kala Archtop Tenor...............?Vintage Manjo?
'74 Ianez Les Paul...Kim Daniels Classical...70's Ovation Bass (Thumper?)...Gretsch G3900 Syncromatic...'88 Gibson SG Special II

I REALLY LOVE YOUR 88 GIBSON SG SPECIAL!!!!!!!!!

la_ingrit
04-02-2008, 01:13 PM
that's a Total F'ing nice collection you got there SnakeOiler!

here's mine:

2 ukes so far. more on the way i'm sure.:):):)

awesome collection!!!!....hey britney is in your bass!!!!! :D

russ_buss
04-02-2008, 01:16 PM
awesome collection!!!!....hey britney is in your bass!!!!! :D

thanks! and good eye. she's there to give it a trashy sound, haha!

la_ingrit
04-02-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm the owner of a Jenny pineapple !!!!!
so cute!!!!!!!!;)

la_ingrit
04-02-2008, 01:18 PM
thanks! and good eye. she's there to give it a trashy sound, haha!

LOL!!!! :p

tad
04-04-2008, 09:26 PM
I've only been playing for... wow, less than four months? And I just purchased my third... I'm getting a bit obsessive, even though I'm still shit as a player.

My collection:

Kala KA-S (soprano, thus the S.)-- It's a cheapy, but it's a damn good one, in my book. I love the sound of it, it's easy to play, and while it's rather plain, I like the looks of it.

Mitchell MU-70 (concert)-- I bought it on a whim at Guitar Center. I'm not so crazy about it, but I think it's the strings. I have some new ones on order. If they don't help, I might ship 'er off to ebay...

(And finally, it'll be here by Wednesday...)

Republic Reso-Relic Concert Ukulele-- Shipped today. I've heard mixed things, but the people who don't insist that the only good resonator uke is a National seem to say it's a pretty good deal, even if it needs a little improvement outta the box. I've seen SEVERAL reviews that compare it favorably to a Johnson, and they cost almost twice as much. I'm psyched. :D

Kanaka916
04-05-2008, 04:58 AM
These are my babies . . . da one on da left is a "Nice Ukulele" from Aloha Stadium Flea Market, got it couple years ago for a really good price. Soundwise, a little brighter than most 8 string tenors but a very distinctive. The other one is a G String. I stay tryin to get another one if my SO will let me, but you guys (and gals) know how that goes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/hawhyen51/IMG_2984.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/hawhyen51/IMG_2993.jpg

JTY
04-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Republic Reso-Relic Concert Ukulele-- Shipped today. I've heard mixed things, but the people who don't insist that the only good resonator uke is a National seem to say it's a pretty good deal, even if it needs a little improvement outta the box. I've seen SEVERAL reviews that compare it favorably to a Johnson, and they cost almost twice as much. I'm psyched. :D

I was looking hard at this one too.. my next uke is gonna be a resonator. I read that worth brown strings work good with the Republic. sigh.. I wish I could get a National.. or a Ron Phillips reso . :D Let us know how you like the Reso-relic. :)

tad
04-05-2008, 08:09 PM
I was looking hard at this one too.. my next uke is gonna be a resonator. I read that worth brown strings work good with the Republic. sigh.. I wish I could get a National.. or a Ron Phillips reso . :D Let us know how you like the Reso-relic. :)

I'm just a poor grad student-- no way I'll be able to buy a National anytime soon, if ever. I'm happy with my cheapies.

I'll definitely be posting a review of the thing once I get it.

jhob
04-05-2008, 10:56 PM
I have a ovation applause soprano fully acoustic, my first 'proper' uke and I love it. I also have a blue painted mahalo that I learnt on. It was a great instrument to see if I took to the uke but I found that I soon outgrew it and now when I go back to play it I really notice the shoddy intonation. Still, it will suffice as a festival beater.

I've got my eyes on a tenor next, I did quite fancy a fluke but now my head is getting turned by the kala ukes - they seem like great value for money. I rather like the one in the UU giveaway at the moment. I will have to get my arse in gear to do a video and try my luck!

wearymicrobe
04-06-2008, 06:47 AM
I have had more then a few but trade in and out to get the sound and feel that I want.

Currently.

Mango Flea.
Its in the car so when the surf is bad.

K2 Kanile'a Tenor.
With old style bracing, quite possibly the best ukulele I have played under say 4K. People who I have let demo this one just keep playing and kind of trance out.

Keith Ogata Front Port. Extended scale, its kind of in between a baritone and a tenor in length but tuned like a tenor. Chunky sound really good on hula stuff.

Ko'olau T1. Kind of like this one, bought it because it is really good with the wound third string. I like there nitro instruments better and am going to get this one if I can drag up some extra cash later, and sell this one.
I am not sure I can justify the price and not order one from them exactly the way I want.

I compensated the saddle and had it cut for a pickup so I might just throw an a'diggaro into it and use it instead of a mic.

Kanile'a S.Tenor K5 SLothead Pending. Paid for it and its built they are doing the spray finish and polishing on it.

I have no idea how this will sound. I spec'd out some really out there MOP additions and a custom open headstock. Hopefully the new bracing style will be to my liking, I don't have a sound monster braced Kanile'a yet. I had Joe use some black SP Koa that he used in anther instrument and it had a great sound so I kind of took a chance.

UKESTAR
04-06-2008, 01:09 PM
I have had more then a few but trade in and out to get the sound and feel that I want.

Currently.

Mango Flea.
Its in the car so when the surf is bad.

K2 Kanile'a Tenor.
With old style bracing, quite possibly the best ukulele I have played under say 4K. People who I have let demo this one just keep playing and kind of trance out.

Keith Ogata Front Port. Extended scale, its kind of in between a baritone and a tenor in length but tuned like a tenor. Chunky sound really good on hula stuff.

Ko'olau T1. Kind of like this one, bought it because it is really good with the wound third string. I like there nitro instruments better and am going to get this one if I can drag up some extra cash later, and sell this one.
I am not sure I can justify the price and not order one from them exactly the way I want.

I compensated the saddle and had it cut for a pickup so I might just throw an a'diggaro into it and use it instead of a mic.

Kanile'a S.Tenor K5 SLothead Pending. Paid for it and its built they are doing the spray finish and polishing on it.

I have no idea how this will sound. I spec'd out some really out there MOP additions and a custom open headstock. Hopefully the new bracing style will be to my liking, I don't have a sound monster braced Kanile'a yet. I had Joe use some black SP Koa that he used in anther instrument and it had a great sound so I kind of took a chance.

Post a pic of that new Kanilea you are about to get...when you get it of course..ha! Sounds interesting.

Plainsong
04-06-2008, 01:20 PM
I'm trying to keep it in check. I started with a Koaloha soprano, and it was sweet, but the size isn't for me, so I sold it on to a member of the local uke club (called FUN). I then decided to slum it a bit with a Fluke tenor surf with the rosewood fretboard. And then I wanted something to play at 2am, so I picked up the Risa uke-solid concert, and I plug that into a Roland Microcube.

But I'm longing for a solid wood acoustic that isn't so expensive that I can't take it outside, so I've got the Pono PTO on order. I'll sell the Fluke on if the Pono works out.

And then I'll move from the Risa to the Pete Howlett Uklectic. He's bringing one to Helsinki in June for me to test out, and you can't beat that with a stick. :D

So I'm just trying to keep two in rotation, and that is tough. ;)

wearymicrobe
04-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Post a pic of that new Kanilea you are about to get...when you get it of course..ha! Sounds interesting.

Should be done this Friday according to them so I think it will be here in about 2 because of "Hawaiian Time". Its been about 14 weeks which when you think about it really is not that bad for a custom

Whats terrible is I am going to try and grab a production slot in May for a replica of the one at the MOMM that I likes.

I spec'd it out like this.

Super Tenor, 4 string, standard bridge.

Joes Choice Black Koa Top/Back/Sides
Tortise Binding.
Mother-of-pearl top purfling
Double Double MOP rosette (k-5), Inner wood Koa. Double Black rings)
RoseWood fret board with Paua mother-of-pearl position dots on top and side of fret board. 3/5/7/10/12D/15.
Geared open tuners. MOP buttons. Light weight.
Sound Monster Bracing.
Open Headstock with old logo in MOP

uluapoundr
04-13-2008, 09:34 PM
1. My first uke was a soprano Kamaka that I bought thru my elementary school PTA for $30, my parents made me pay for half. I still have it but it has a fixed crack and has been refinished.

2. Kelii 6-string curly koa tenor which I refinished myself.

3. Fluke 4-string concert for camping trips.

4. Kawika 4-string concert, spruce top, koa body, with paua inlays on top and soundhole.

5. Kawika 4-string tenor with koa body and cedar top.

6. Kawika 4-string baritone with koa body and spruce top.

Keonikapila
04-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Soprano "Hawaiian" ukulele...my first uke

2 home-made concert ukes

Ka'uwela zebrawood tenor

8-string Lanikai tenor

Pono Mahogany tenor

Pono Koa Deluxe tenor

Bugsgear tenor

Ko'Aloha tenor

Howlin Hobbit
04-14-2008, 06:23 AM
Glyph soprano (#3!)
National Steel Reso, also soprano.
No-name banjo uke that needs its vellum replaced. I believe it's concert scale.
Several "project ukes" (all sopranos) in various states of disrepair.
A couple wallhangers people have given me.
My first uke, a really oddball and nearly unplayable no-name concert(ish) size.

The first two are my players. The banjo uke will go back on the playing list if I ever get around to fixing it.

Got only knows if anything will ever happen with the project ukes.

I couldn't care less about the wallhangers.

I keep my first one as a sort of sentimental thing.

avester508
07-31-2008, 09:21 PM
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. Except for the fact that my grandmother is living in my leg, I am pretty normal.

My first uke was a Cordoba koa soprano. I still like playing that one for grandma. hehehe.

I also have an Alegre Ovaition soprano I brought back from Cebu. That is a sweet uke with a solid Philippino mahogany back,spruce top, and Abalone inlays. Had to tweak it before it was really playable though.

And then I have a Kala curly mango tenor that is pretty cool, but not as warm sounding as a koa. It really is a beautiful uke though, and so much fun to play.

I have been wanting to add a concert uke to my modest collection, and was thinking about getting a Fluke, until I saw a nice Ohana solid cedar top concert uke that looks like a decent instrument for an good price.

One day I will break down and get a real uke, something like a Koaloha, or Kamaka tenor. I think those Compass Rose's sycamore uke's are interesting too. Wish I could hear one.

My wife said if I buy one more ukulele she would leave me... I miss her already.

peace out-

HEYY! so i read that you got an Alegre Ovaition soprano from Cebu. During my visit there i also got the same one! yours has a round back like an ovation right? cuz thats how mine is. it cost $500 (18,000 pesos) does yours work well? because i kind of regret getting it... =/ i think i should of just gotten an Appluase by Ovation Tenor UAE14

Sayyadina
07-31-2008, 10:28 PM
Although I've only been playing for 4 months now I already own 3 ukes with the 4th one already ordered. Just can't resist those little buggers.

First one was a cheap ass "Golden Ton" soprano. Sounds and smells like ass too, but I still like it cause it was the first.

Second I got a "Baton Rouge" soprano which now became my girlfriends uke.

Third one and the one I am currently playing all the time was a "Risa Koa Concert". I am very happy with this one.

Still to come is my MP koa/redwood tenor uke. This one will be a blast! After that, I think I'll take a break from buying ukes cause now I'm broke hahaha.

freedive135
08-01-2008, 04:09 AM
Started with a Johnson uk-120 9 weeks ago on a whim. I woke up one day and after listening to a Jack Johnson song I thought "wonder if I can play a ukulele"?
I tried to play a guitar several times but just couldn't figure out the 6 strings.
At that point I didn't realize that there were cheppy uke's and then all the rest.

Now I am the owner of a Kala Mahogany KA-T, 2 KA-S's (one for the car) I am "lending" my Johnson to a freind that wants to learn.

I just ordered a Kala Maple/Spruce Tenor.

I have a Koaloha Tenor on my Chritmas list, lets see if she gets it for me!!!!

I can't wait to get the UU ukulele when it is ready!!!!

rt1965
08-01-2008, 04:40 AM
I currently have the following:

KoAloha Tenor
KoAloha Pineapple Sunday
Ohana Solid Mahognay Tenor
And I have a Martin S-O and a Fluke Surf Tenor en route.

The Martin was built in 2001, the first year Martin got back into ukes, so I'm hoping it's a decent one. Either way, I got a smokin price, so it can't be that bad.

Hopefully in the future I will get a nice Concert, maybe a Kiwaya to round things out.

hotnanas
08-01-2008, 05:03 AM
I'm Cliff Rock, and I have a problem. It all started Christmas 2006.

Hilo Soprano My girlfriend bought this for me. It sat in a box for a year until my mom bought my brother a Kamaka Concert (the following Christmas, so I the addiction started in Jan/Feb 2008). He showed me a few chords, and that was my first hit on the uke pipe. Instant addiction. Now signed by Jake Shimabukuro and the Makaha Sons, and waiting for some more Hawaiian legends...I play this one a lot still, as it sounds great now that I changed the strings out to Martin's.

Mitchell MU-70 Concert this was my upgrade from the Hilo. And it in fact was a huge upgrade. It's very bright, and I really love this one. I play this more than all of the rest of my ukes. This is my favority uke pipe.

Bugsgear Concert Eleuke Eh, I play it a lot, but it's mainly when I want to make loud noises with my Digitech RP-90 processor/effects pedal. It's great sounding both plugged in or not. It's a great weapon and a must for my addiction.

Risa Concert Uke Stick Solid this get's a lot of play in the car and up at work. It's fun to fool around with, but it's always an adjustment trying to play it. It's a different high.

Banjo Uke eh...addicts do crazy things...i'm still adjusting it and working on the intonation...i don't think my noob ears will ever get it right.

Vintage 6-string beater that I bought on ebay eh...looks nice, i need to figure out some stuff with the strings. Sometimes UAS hurts. This thing sucks, but looks neat.

Kala KA-T Mahogany (tenor) i love this. I picked this one up here on UU. It's just another uke pipe to take hits from.

Kala KA-T (tenor) i got this on accident...i think the uke was way too addictive that day.

LoMa
08-01-2008, 08:08 AM
Yep, I too have a big big problem - it all started in 1962 when I was 7 years old...

I have in my permanent herd:

1. S&H green stamps soprano - uh huh, I got this with S&H green stamps (stores used to give these stamps whenever you bought groceries, and you filled up booklets with them and took them to your nearest S&H green stamp Redemption Center where you could trade 'em in for stuff - lamps, rugs, dishes, toys, and yes, ukuleles!!!). This uke is unlabelled, made in West Germany, and is all solid mahogany. Bright, super resonsive, and lots of rich overtones, and good sustain. Excellent dynamics, volume, and playability. Intonation isn't very good though. But, mon, this uke is alive!!! Strung with Aquila's, sounds great with either low or a high G.

2. Larrivee soprano - spruce top with magonany back and sides. I am in love with this uke. Fantastic fat tone, dynamics, resonance, sustain, and playability. Very very loud, and sound beautiful when played softly too. Can play any style of music with this uku - classical, renaissance, blues, rock, standards. This uke be for low G tuning. Aquila strings. I don't think my life could go on if I ever lost this uku...

3. Kiwaya KSL-2 long neck soprano - this is my traveler - it's got an all-laminate body, made of Kiwaya's famous "hyperthin" koa laminate. So it can take it when I go to the desert in the summer or to the mountains in winter (although I'm still careful with it!). Incredibly lightweight and resonant, with incredible dynamics from loud to soft. Lots of volume. No sustain to speak of, but lots of clarity and punch. Aquila's live here too. (Actually, Aquilla's live on all my ukes...)

4. Risa electric tenor tuned to DGBE - steel strings. Very very cool mini shredder.

5. LoPrinzi cedar & mahogany concert uke - this is is one of LoPrinzi's lower end models with the satin finish, and it is a fantastic uke! Really nice dynamics, sustain, and a really pretty tone that has guts to it too. Yep, I am becoming a real avid LoPrinzi fan, that is for sure!

In my semi-permanent herd:

1. LoPrinzi model 3 concert - all solid mahogany. Very responsive uke with lots of overtones, very good dynamics, and great playability. Excellent volume. Very good sustain for an all-mahogany instrument. A very fine uke. One of the few modern ukes I like tuned with a high G. I like it with low G too. It might enter my permanent herd.

On order:

1. Earnest Instruments Stradelele concert - maple and spruce with Pegheds. I have high hopes for this one! Joel Eckhaus started working on it in July...

Let's not talk about my temporary herd, in case my spouse sees this...
I'm really trying to sell them, honey, honest... There are only five left to sell now... (or maybe trade???? Did I say that?)

You be looking for ukes, ask me...
I got for sale a Martin style 1 soprano, a KoAloha long neck soprano, a Kiwaya long neck soprano, a Mele 8 string tenor with cutaway, and a Kanile'a baritone...

Yep, I got a big big problem...

rclifford13
08-03-2008, 02:45 AM
I am a terrible sufferer of UAS..

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb226/rclifford13/ukecollage-1.jpg

1. Kala KA-TE Mahogany Electric Tenor - from MGM on eBay. The grain is beautiful, the sound is beautiful, the uke is...well, beautiful.
2. Mahalo Telecaster Soprano Uke. Comes with decent GHS strings. Intonation is bad... Fun to muck around on.
3. Custom Sanchez SU-RBE-NGL Electric Soprano Uke - My first electric uke. Frets are tiny. Nice smooth rounded back, like an ovation. I customised it with some stickers (couldn't get any ukulele hero ones. And where do I get UU ones?)
4. K-Wave Les Paul Electric Rock Uke - Honey Sunburst. My most expensive uke. I LOVE this thing.. plays like a angel, sounds like a god.
5. Phoenix Soprano - Cheap piece of crap. I decorated it with white out. My busking uke.
6. Mahalo Flying V uke. BAD! sounds shocking.. Paid $50 but my $20 Phoenix sounds much better. The intonation is non-existent (this thing is nearly a semitone flat at the 12th fret!) But it looks cool.

Hehe. and to think... this is just the start..

SamIAm
08-03-2008, 08:11 PM
well seeing as my dad and i both play uke and share all the ukes ill post both my collection and my dads as 1

ou5- tht uke started it all
koalana- my pops main uke
flea tappa custom- this flea is in the flea museum
lanikai lu-21 elec/acu-
Hilo tennor- my man uke tht i origanaly got to occupy me for track meets
and
hopfully the bugsgear eluke that i won in the contest

Plainsong
08-04-2008, 03:50 AM
1. S&H green stamps soprano - uh huh, I got this with S&H green stamps (stores used to give these stamps whenever you bought groceries, and you filled up booklets with them and took them to your nearest S&H green stamp Redemption Center where you could trade 'em in for stuff - lamps, rugs, dishes, toys, and yes, ukuleles!!!). This uke is unlabelled, made in West Germany, and is all solid mahogany. Bright, super resonsive, and lots of rich overtones, and good sustain. Excellent dynamics, volume, and playability. Intonation isn't very good though. But, mon, this uke is alive!!! Strung with Aquila's, sounds great with either low or a high G.

How many German uke builders can there be? You've already got a Risa. Could this be a Brüko?

Right now my uke family consists of:

Pete Howlett Uklectic
Koaloha KSM-00 soprano
Koa topped concert Flea
Kala aqua tenor

- and a G String concert will be mine. I'm still thinking about the pros and cons of going with the tattooed Honu version versus something from the custom shop, but I will have one in my life.

- and an unborn uke that I waffle about because of the size, but then again it'll be epic, but then again the size...

- and the Kala Jazz tenor. Man oh man is it cool. The more I get a chance to hold one, the cooler I think it is.

- and lots of "Oh, I want one of those!" but we all go through that.

Nurdaben
08-04-2008, 04:47 PM
1. Ohana ck-10s as seen in

|
|
|
V that link =)

Leroy
08-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Today my four string stable numbers 14 ukuleles and 2 tenor guitars. Other than the concert Fluke (that started all of this) I designed and built them all. As you can see from this photo I'm having fun with this hobby.

http://www.leroybeal.net/imageholding/stable01.jpg

:music:

Leroy

salukulady
08-04-2008, 05:06 PM
10....never enough!

Futch
08-05-2008, 04:33 AM
Today my four string stable numbers 14 ukuleles and 2 tenor guitars. Other than the concert Fluke (that started all of this) I designed and built them all. As you can see from this photo I'm having fun with this hobby.

Leroy

I was thinking recently about sound ports on the side of a uke. I wondered if anyone had ever done it, I have seen it on many guitars but never a uke before now.

I take it the idea works well as you have employed it on several of your ukes. I would like to hear more about your designs and how they evolved.

Kanaka916
08-05-2008, 05:03 AM
...I was thinking recently about sound ports on the side of a uke. I wondered if anyone had ever done it, I have seen it on many guitars but never a uke before now.

I take it the idea works well as you have employed it on several of your ukes. I would like to hear more about your designs and how they evolved.
Pahu Kani ukuleles have been designed utilizing sound ports on the body. You can view them here (http://ukulelefriend.com/builder_PahuKani.htm) . . .

Kurobashi
08-19-2008, 12:52 AM
My first uke was a Risa uke'ellie solid soprano which I won at a contest. This really got me interested in ukes but I wanted a real acoustic uke.

So then I bought a vintage 1920's Martin Style O soprano. It has lots of scratches, dents and fixed cracks but it still sounds wonderful.

Right now I'm looking for a good new uke with some more range (the martin has 12 frets). I'm looking at a Kanile'a soprano, super soprano or concert.

I will probably sell the risa solid so if anyone is interested, it's as good as new...

Cheers.

LoMa
08-19-2008, 06:00 AM
Leroy, your collection is awesome@!
And totally cool that you designed and built 'em.

Soundbites would definitely be muy muy mucho appreciated!

Leroy

Nurdaben
08-19-2008, 07:00 AM
just an update for my uke collection . . .

still 1 =P

deadeye
08-19-2008, 10:52 AM
for me...

1. stagg soprano uke i asked on a whim for my 18th bday cos i literally had no idea what i wanted. prob one of my best decisions..it sucks but it got me hooked

2. lanikai lu-21 TE/BK. i got this about 4 months after the stagg, for christmas! it took about 2 months to come over from america and cost a bomb for what it was (i knew nothing) - honestly all i knew was it was the same one sesso played but in black. and he was my first ukulele legend. i remember playing his waterfalls song for my biology class on the last day of school ever - they loved him too! by far my most played uke, and its tuned low g atm.

3. kala kte cedar. i got this a while ago when i had some cash to spare and tbh i wish id held out. i prefer the sound and feel of my lanikai! its an alright uke

4. currently IN THE MAIL the epic drunken ebay bid on this random taiwan handmade uke: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140256006223. i have no idea what to expect.

5. hopefully a gstring tenor.

lovemissheather
08-19-2008, 01:23 PM
keep note, i am still adding on. i dont think my ukeskipade (yes, i just made that up) will end anytime soon. and by anytime soon i mean in the next year. and by in the next year i really mean in the next 30 years.

1. Cordoba 25SK Koa Soprano Ukulele
2. Antoniotsai Tenor Ukulele (it amazingly plays quite well. one of my favorites)
3. Kala Kiwi Soprano Ukulele
4. Oscar Schmidt OU53 Baritone Ukulele

and many many more to come

Futch
08-19-2008, 01:41 PM
My uke collection numbers exactly one, a cheap laminated soprano by tanglewood. I play the shit out of this thing, playing about four hours a day at the moment. I have promised myself a new uke, but really can't afford one right now as I have just finished university and am working off some of my massive debt.

Its a pretty decent uke, and I have progressed well. Years of very dedicated guitar playing has probably helped. But I can't help thinking that a nicer, better intonated uke would greatly help my playing. I hope to have a Kiwaya soprano one day. Maybe in a few months time.

salukulady
08-19-2008, 02:20 PM
10....never enough!got another one this weekend.....that makes 11. Wasn't looking for it, didn't ask for it, and it was so expensive I'm making payments. Damn.

SailQwest
08-19-2008, 02:32 PM
got another one this weekend.....that makes 11. Wasn't looking for it, didn't ask for it, and it was so expensive I'm making payments. Damn.

What did you get?

MGM
08-19-2008, 09:10 PM
let me see I have a nooo thats for sale...how about a...oh i guess i dont own any ukuleles.....oh well at least I am a caretaker of one or two or 300 or 400 or 900 or 1000 aw heck who counts

grappler
08-19-2008, 09:20 PM
let me see I have a nooo thats for sale...how about a...oh i guess i dont own any ukuleles.....oh well at least I am a caretaker of one or two or 300 or 400 or 900 or 1000 aw heck who counts

woahh!
LOL
must love your job dude
hi - 5 to you!
Can i also add,
Great service aswell

haole
08-21-2008, 05:59 AM
Two so far: an Aria tenor from the mid-70s, and a recent Kamaka soprano. I'm looking for one that I can bring to the beach without worrying too much, so a Flea/Fluke is looking pretty good to me. :D

Punday
10-07-2008, 11:25 AM
http://www.oddsandendstrader.com/images/ukes.jpg

The Hilo on the right was my first. Ive been looking to give it away to an interested relative and see if can give them their own UAS.

A Kala KTE-C. The first one i bought after I myself came down with UAS and the need for a better instrument.

A Kala PSS Pineapple that i bought as a travel uke. I get some interested looks when people find out ive hiked 18 miles and over 3 mountains with a 40lb backpack and still carry a ukulele along.

The last is a Martin 1-T i believe. "Borrowed" it from my grandmother who bought it in the 70s and never played. She wont miss it. Just got my aquila strings in the mail today and it sounds great.

grappler
10-07-2008, 11:40 AM
woah that martin tenor is to die for
dr;)

mhh
10-07-2008, 12:27 PM
I own 2

One Kala Mango Soprano (plays like a charm, tho the intonation up the neck is off) and one soprano ukulele I built from a Steward-MacDonald kit.

SamWise
10-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Currently? One. A purple Mahalo. It's actually not at all bad, but having 14 ukes which went up into some of the nicer factory made stuff in for review has spoiled me. I hadn't intended to become a uke player, but I got hooked immediately, and the Mahalo was all I could afford immediately. On the shopping list, a Moana flame maple soprano, and a tenor, as yet undefined, but it has to sound like Gerald Ross's does on the Bosko and Honey Ukulele Safari!

leaveit2jane
10-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Actually I don't...
You know the formula for how many ukuleles you need is:

(amount of ukuleles you need) = (amount of ukuleles you have) + 1

One day I found out I am just one ukulele behind that formula, and I sticked with that. For now... *g*

The OP even asked for "ukuelle collections", and I already felt bad and wanted to reply "I just have one ukulele collection"....

This was just a wonderful answer! One collection.....
I have 2. and an eye out for a soprano to round out my family, LOL (the +1)

ukeninam
10-07-2008, 07:39 PM
At the moment 4, but I have another one being gifted to me as soon as my friend comes back from her trip which will bring it to 5!! Yay;)

pdinfw
08-01-2009, 10:32 PM
Just started this last September with a 1950 Gretsch soprano. The was gifted a 1910 beautiful inlayed koa soprano, probably by Nunes. Then a 1950's Martin Soprano. Then a 1960's Martin 1-T Tenor. Then a 1950's Harmony baritone. After that a Kamaka white label soprano, and finally a Duke Kahanamoku pineapple.

Ahnko Honu
08-02-2009, 12:19 AM
My "collection" is so insignificant it's not worth mentioning here. :cool:

mrplatypus70
08-02-2009, 01:23 AM
I have 3 ukuleles now not counting the $30 Hamano uke that I got which was unplayable due to intonation so bad that you are about a half step off by the time you get to the third fret! Despite this problem my now 5 year old niece gets some great sounds out of it, when I first gave it to her she instantly composed a song much like "Elephant Town" but with one word, "Camel" repeated over a thrashing rhythm, something about 3 year old girls and large animal songs I guess. Now that I am Way off the subject the Ukes I have now are an Oscar Schmitt ou5 (also has some intonation issues but not too bad) that one has been on long-term loan to a friend trying to get him hooked on ukuleles ( he already plays guitar and other stuff). The two ukuleles that are living with me and getting played are an Epiphone M500 soprano and a Hamano concert. Both all mahogany, both play real nice and no intonation problems!

WhenDogsSing
08-02-2009, 02:18 AM

Leroy

Sweeeeet.....!!!!! :D

Steiner
08-02-2009, 06:32 AM
2 soprano's-Kala-KA-S & Vintage Regal
1 tenor Pono 'ohai
Hopefully adding a Concert CB from Sonny Daze in the near future

Pippin
08-02-2009, 06:43 AM
Just started this last September with a 1950 Gretsch soprano. The was gifted a 1910 beautiful inlayed koa soprano, probably by Nunes. Then a 1950's Martin Soprano. Then a 1960's Martin 1-T Tenor. Then a 1950's Harmony baritone. After that a Kamaka white label soprano, and finally a Duke Kahanamoku pineapple.

I can see you don't have enough arms and neither does your assistant. :D

uke552
08-02-2009, 07:24 AM
Here goes....Harmony soprano, Martin S-O soprano, Ohana sopranino, P'MICo soprano, Flea, "no name" soprano (1950's?) and a Makala tenor.

pithaya9
08-02-2009, 07:25 AM
My "collection" is so insignificant it's not worth mentioning here. :cool:

Sorry to hear that. ;) hahahaha

Ken
08-02-2009, 07:30 AM
My collection consists of an army of one. A cheapo the color of Aldrine's room :D.

Ahnko Honu
08-02-2009, 07:36 AM

Leroy

Do I see a couple resonator pineapples? :love: :shaka:

Lardy Fatboy
01-29-2012, 01:37 PM
You can see my Collection at Ukulele Corner - I've just added to it because I won an Ashbury Tenor Lili'u on ebay tonight.

Also, and perhaps someone can help me out here, I never know whether to count my Cavaquinho and my Mandobird (which is ukulele tuned but low G)?

Manalishi
01-29-2012, 11:05 PM
Mine are shown in my sig.Used to have more but
like most folk,I had to thin the herd to afford one
that I especially wanted!

myrnaukelele
01-30-2012, 07:39 AM
How big is my collection? Not big enough lol!
I've never owned a concert or a tenor uke but hope to change that in the near future. For now:
Sopranos: A Martin O, a Favilla, a Harmony, a Supertone and a Makala Dolphin
Baritones: A Favilla and a Harmony
Banjo Ukes: An Avalon and a John Grey & Sons

experimentjon
01-30-2012, 10:01 AM
Mine had formerly been about two-dozen strong...but I'm currently downsizing considerably...realized I only have two hands and only a limited amount of time to play anyway. Might downsize even more deeply if I decide I want an Aldrine model Kanilea.

itsscottwilder
01-30-2012, 10:31 AM
Got the Luna Concert Tatto first. Love the visual vibe. A string change later and I dig the sound as well.

Got the Cordoba Tenor to see how I feel about the larger fret board.

I'm nipping this UAS in the bud and going straight to Brad Donaldson to have him build a Uke for me. Probably a tenor.

fernandogardinali
01-30-2012, 11:27 AM
I had I think more than 50 ukes through my life. Since ukes are rare around here I get the chance to sell without losing any money.

My first was a Kala KA-15s I bought in 2008. A friend sat on it and the neck broke - a friend fixed it later, but I don't own it anymore.

I bought from UU user fabioponta my finest ukes: the Kamaka Pineapple and the Kanile'a K1. I also bought from him an Ohana Sopranino.
My UBass I bought from P-Hill user on ebay. The fluke, the baritone and the Korala are from ebay auctions.
The Hamano I bought in a local store - I got a big discount on it.
My R-Lopes custom, my Wim banjolele, my Republic resonator I bought from the manufacturers.
The Plastic Mauna Loa I bought from a Brazilian ukulele luthier called Marcelo Silva

I have 12 ukes today and I hope I settle with that - maybe upgrading some ukes, but I don't expect having more than 15 ukes today.

JulianUker
01-30-2012, 05:44 PM
I've only got 2...Kamoa Concert and a KoAloha Tenor. I'd like to get a Kamaka Soprano one of these days.

SuzukHammer
01-30-2012, 05:52 PM
I have stashes and caches of ukes in Denver, Bangkok, and currently where I work. The answer is too much if I'm to answer politically correct. My real answer is the variety of ukes is dazzling. Its really sad that I keep one of my Collings on the table because I am too lazy to put it in its hard case because I would waste too much time opening and closing that case. Humidor - a great big humidor is what I need.

Hippie Dribble
01-30-2012, 06:04 PM
I have stashes and caches of ukes in Denver, Bangkok, and currently where I work. The answer is too much if I'm to answer politically correct. My real answer is the variety of ukes is dazzling. Its really sad that I keep one of my Collings on the table because I am too lazy to put it in its hard case because I would waste too much time opening and closing that case. Humidor - a great big humidor is what I need.

shrouded in mystery I know, but what I would give to really get the full inventory of your collection Frank...it would make amazing reading. I still drool over that red Collings...hmmm...and the rest...wow...would like to make you an offer or two...don't suppose it was you who grabbed that BB vintage koa soprano the other day...man, that was a sweetheart of a uke. You need a great big box of Humidor's brother!!!!!

MGM
01-30-2012, 09:45 PM
Ahem I have one ukulele.... All the rest are for sale. Lol........

drbekken
01-31-2012, 01:38 AM
Well, I cleaned up a little...so now I have one vintage 1950s Harmony soprano; one Richwood tenor, and one Savannah baritone....and I almost forgot; one vintage 1920s NMS Co banjo ukulele. That's all I need in a long time I hope.

OldePhart
01-31-2012, 07:22 AM
I don't collect ukuleles. I own several, but I don't collect them. I play them. So far, I don't have so many that there are any of them that don't get played at least every few days.

John

revo11
01-31-2012, 02:58 PM
just a hamano soprano so far. It's (literally) traveled around the world with me though, and I love it.

rasputinsghost
01-31-2012, 04:23 PM
I'm down to the four in my signature...

mr moonlight
01-31-2012, 06:52 PM
I'm down to two Tenors.
My Ko'olau and a Pono. That's really all I need. One nice custom and one beater.... although the Pono is a pretty damn nice for a beater.

cahaya
01-31-2012, 07:45 PM
http://www.oddsandendstrader.com/images/ukes.jpg

The Hilo on the right was my first. Ive been looking to give it away to an interested relative and see if can give them their own UAS.

A Kala KTE-C. The first one i bought after I myself came down with UAS and the need for a better instrument.

A Kala PSS Pineapple that i bought as a travel uke. I get some interested looks when people find out ive hiked 18 miles and over 3 mountains with a 40lb backpack and still carry a ukulele along.

The last is a Martin 1-T i believe. "Borrowed" it from my grandmother who bought it in the 70s and never played. She wont miss it. Just got my aquila strings in the mail today and it sounds great.

I must say, while the 4 ukes look gorgeous, the view behind them though is awesome!!

cahaya
01-31-2012, 07:50 PM
OOps, back to the main theme of this thread, I am a proud owner of black ................ Makala Dolphine.
In my dream I was going to get a PONO acacia, but now, I am going to upgrade to xxxxxx koa tenor. Sorry, my dream is kinda blur, can't see the brand of the tenor yet.

v74
01-31-2012, 08:25 PM
mine
http://image.ohozaa.com/i/674/mHWb5W.jpg

SuzukHammer
02-01-2012, 02:39 AM
shrouded in mystery I know, but what I would give to really get the full inventory of your collection Frank...it would make amazing reading. I still drool over that red Collings...hmmm...and the rest...wow...would like to make you an offer or two...don't suppose it was you who grabbed that BB vintage koa soprano the other day...man, that was a sweetheart of a uke. You need a great big box of Humidor's brother!!!!!

Some person wanted to buy a uke for his son and came over and saw the instruments. He was a little surprised when I told him make sure he doesn't drop them. and his jaw dropped when I was showing them to him.

They are really some fantastic instruments. I am truly truly grateful to be able to have items that I treasure.

When I moved to this new country, I chose not to get a flashy car cause I know what is more fun.

Chris Tarman
02-01-2012, 04:21 AM
I have 22 at the moment. A couple aren't playable, really, but most of the rest I pull out and play at least every now and then. I have ten or so that get regular or semi-regular play.

TheCraftedCow
02-01-2012, 08:30 PM
46 - many with a story of how such a wonderful instrument came under my care at a
fraction of its worth. One came with a wife attached 37 years ago. Best $9.00 I have ever spent ! The uke alone was worth that much.

15- Dwarf Nigerian Goats with the same differential between price and worth.
They like to hear me play. They gather round and listen. They are harsh
critics , however. All I ever get are baaaaa'd comments.

I am indeed blessed.

itsme
02-01-2012, 08:55 PM
I don't collect ukuleles. I own several, but I don't collect them. I play them. So far, I don't have so many that there are any of them that don't get played at least every few days.
That's pretty much how I feel as well. I play them all, or my husband would be telling me to get rid of the ones I don't play. :)

Hippie Dribble
02-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Ahem I have one ukulele.... All the rest are for sale. Lol........
which is the 'one' Mike???? :)

UK Paulie
02-12-2012, 04:12 AM
I have a Lanikai Lu11 Soprano, my first uke that I seriously have hardly put down since I got it, thus I've gone from not knowing a single chord on it to playing loads of songs/fingerpicking in just a couple of weeks!! I have seriously fallen in love with the ukulele! I have an Oscar schmidt Electro-Acoustic Concert on its way to me as we speak. Got a set of Aquilas and a set of martins ready to try out in place of the stock GHS strings and a little marshall amp. That will make it 2 and I'm already eyeing up a Kala exotic mahogany tenor....

RyanMFT
02-12-2012, 05:56 AM
OK, I have a few.....I never set out to collect, they just seemed to come my way over the last few years.

Vintage Ukuleles
1890's Unknown Soprano - spruce top, mahogany sides and back. A treasure that I do play
1920's Royal Hawaiian, all Koa - This ukulele is so light, and is my loudest soprano
1930's Favilla Teardrop Soprano - I play this more than any other ukulele....the sound is amazing
1930's "The Gibson" Soprano - what a great little ukulele, very bright and lively
1930's Kamaka Pineapple style 4 - Sound is much deeper as compared to others
1930's Richter Soprano, solid birch - Original silkscreen of palm trees and Hawaiian bay with a sunset.
1940's Favilla Soprano - just an all around great vintage ukulele
1940's Martin Soprano Style O - Just a wonderful ukulele
1940's Silvertone "Wahine" - The silvertone which features a woman playing ukulele on the soundboard.
1960's Swagerty Singing Treholipee - about four feet long!

Modern Ukuleles
KoAloha Concert, made in 2009 - I always take this when I go to play with a group since most people like to play tenors now and this ukulele can easily be heard with tenors around.
Kamaka Soprano, made in 1989, white label.
Pineapple Flea - with rosewood fretboard

rpfrogner
02-12-2012, 06:21 AM
Including the one coming from eugene.......I will have 57. It would be 58 if I counted my Davey Crockett 4 string guitar :). They are weighted more to the vintage side in numbers with Swagerty and Martin being the makers repeated most often. I worry about listing them, and I don't have any in my signature mostly to keep down any in fighting between them. I especially don't want them mad with me! What if I forgot to list one........and there is always the "you like Kiwaya better than me".......I don't want to go down that road again :/.

pepamahina
02-12-2012, 07:54 AM
I have just 4. A Kala watermelon to share with the kids, a Firefly banjo uke, a Kala Acacia Concert, and I just received a custom Pohaku concert. It is gorgeous. Pictures here:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?60269-Fancy-New-Butterfly-Custom-Pohaku-by-Peter-Hurney

I wanted to just fast forward through all of the UAS "holy grail" stuff and just get a super high quality uke that was made for me. I don't really see myself needing another acoustic uke (unless it's another Pohaku!), I might get one of those new Kamoa electric ukes though:

http://www.juxtapost.com/site/permlink/3ed45af0-4821-11e1-96de-3b3029fb5405/post/kamoa_electric_ukuleles/

rpfrogner
02-12-2012, 08:02 AM
I really liked the looks of that Kamoa hollow body electric........I agree.

Pippin
02-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Too Big... and changing all the time.

AC Baltimore
02-16-2012, 02:33 PM
mine is right here at the moment. While i am quite happy, i currently await a banjo and zebrawood from mim :)

tinyukulele
06-07-2012, 07:39 AM
38747 (Sorry for the bad Quality)

My Three Ukuleles (in the order I got them):

Mahalo Blue Soprano
Ashton Union Jack Soprano
TOM Sopranino (16" Pocket Uke)

KimUke
06-07-2012, 07:51 AM
Just 2 - but I'll be selling the Kanilea for a Super Soprano soon.

janeray1940
06-07-2012, 08:04 AM
Three, soon to become four. But I've got a bit of a tetraphobic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetraphobia) nature, which means I'm either going to have to sell one, or buy a fifth uke soon :)

luluwrites
06-07-2012, 08:04 AM
My daughter took my little red Hilo, so I'm down to two: a Mainland red cedar soprano and the garage-find baritone.

I'm slated for a Wixom in January, however, and have a wishlist that grows daily. (It includes a Black Bear macadamia concert and maybe even a tenor guitar!)

Freeda
06-07-2012, 08:05 AM
I have 6 in my possession, 3 in transit, and one waiting for it to arrive at the seller's before she ships it to me. So 10.

ItsMrPitchy
06-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Currently i got 3 sopranos, one concert and two tenors.

wolfchs
06-07-2012, 11:35 AM
I currently have:
4 Sopranos: Sakai Hello Kitty, Luna Tattoo Pineapple, Makala Pearl White Dolphin, Mainland Red Cedar
1 Super Soprano: Leolani Zebrawood Gloss
3 Concerts: Lanikai Spalted Mango, Hulala Ocean Dancer, Kala 'Mighty Uke' Concert
1 Firefly Banjo Uke Concert
Awaiting to get KimUke's Kanilea :o

tikibar
06-07-2012, 11:59 AM
At the moment:5
- mainland concert
- brandless uke i once bought and got me started : concert
- makala dolphin soprano
- eleuke concert
- and my new beater "aloha" soprano

:))

Asrafrate
06-08-2012, 07:49 AM
I'm new to playing the ukulele, so new I bought my first uke 2 days ago :)

It's been a pleasure looking at all the photos and reading about your uke collections. I can see this becoming an addiction!

My ukulele is a Kala KA-C.

And here it is :)

RichM
06-08-2012, 08:08 AM
Too damned big... but they're all good, gosh darn it!

BTW, I used say I didn't like sopranos....until I got my Martin soprano. Now I love 'em. Never say never.

ukesforlife
10-05-2013, 12:29 PM
I have three ukulele i have yamaha six string guitalele, a lanikai pinapple shaped soprano ukulele and a concert epiphone les paul uke. I also want to get a cordoba concert size, and a beyond soprano size

JulianUker
10-05-2013, 02:13 PM
I only have 3 - soprano, concert and tenor...but always looking to add, especially a concert

kohanmike
10-05-2013, 08:42 PM
I don't know if I should tell my story again since I get so verbose so I'll keep it simple, in five months I've bought five ukes, sold the first one a couple months ago, a Mahalo UTL1 Tele style soprano. Waiting for the fifth to arrive this coming week. After buying the first, I would never have thought I would buy another, but obviously UAS got me. See my signature.

paw123los
10-05-2013, 08:47 PM
13 ukuleles (and many more other instruments). The number 13 is considered unlucky - so I have to buy another one to earn some luck ;)

Manalishi
10-05-2013, 10:42 PM
I currently have one Hand made koa tenor,
One Concert scale Banjo - Ukulele,
One Concert scale hand made cigar box reso,
One hand made meranti soprano,
One Makala 'Dolphin' soprano,
One Mahalo 'tin top' soprano,
One Koa hand made sopranino.

Ukejenny
10-06-2013, 09:31 AM
If I count every ukulele in the house, six. But, here's what they are.

1. Blue Mahalo soprano bought for my then toddler son. I still play it.
2. KPK Tenor that I dearly love. Lots of bang for the amount of money I spent. Buttery smooth on the fretboard and great sound.
3. Two Lanikai concerts bought on ebay for my sons' birthdays this summer. They were blem models and came sounding very nice and I couldn't even find the marks. One needs some intonation work.
4. See above
5. Ohana concert cedar top rosewood back and sides. Love the sound, it is being adjusted to play buttery smooth and easy. Can't wait to see how it feels.
6. Got my husband a tenor Gretsch solid mahogany for his birthday. This is a great instrument and I feel it is another one with a lot of bang for the amount spent. The feel and action is incredible. I'm going to put some Worth clears on it once his strings need replacing. Very pretty sound. If they made a solid soprano, I would definitely buy one for myself and then I'd pretty much be finished shopping, as I would have one I love in each size that I play.

cigarfan
10-06-2013, 12:44 PM
I started in March this year and I'm already up to seven. Can't keep up this pace much longer ... or can I?

dkcrown
10-06-2013, 12:50 PM
I started in March this year and I'm already up to seven. Can't keep up this pace much longer ... or can I?

Take it from someone who knows Dennis, you're still a rookie when it comes to UAS. :)

OldePhart
10-06-2013, 03:09 PM
I can proudly report that it is getting pretty close to a year since my last ukulele acquisition! Still in the eventual market for a really nice tenor but not in any rush about it.

Of course, I recently purchased a motorcycle and have been spending inordinate amounts of cache getting it set up the way I want... Oh, Lordy, please don't let me be stricken with MAS (Motorcycle Acquisition Syndrome)!

John

kohanmike
10-06-2013, 06:25 PM
Yep, I'm officially off my rocker... Just found a Lanikai SMP-TCA Solid Monkeypod cutaway tenor blem with electronics (that I'm going to change) for $124. Had to order it. That's my sixth.

janeray1940
10-06-2013, 06:43 PM
Three, soon to become four. But I've got a bit of a tetraphobic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetraphobia) nature, which means I'm either going to have to sell one, or buy a fifth uke soon :)

Aaaaaand over a year later - um, still three. Solved the tetraphobia problem by not counting the beater car uke :)

sugengshi
10-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Currently I only have 6.
1. Mainland Red Cedar Concert
2. Kamoa E3T Spruce Tenor
3. Ohana Tk-20 Mahogany Tenor
4. Kamoa SM-P Mahogany Pineapple
5. Pelem Teakwood Soprano
6. Kaka Soprano

I had these 4 that were sold away:
1. Ohana CK-50MG Cedar Concert (I loved it a lot, but my friend wanted it very much. I had to sell it, but I got the Mainland as a replacement).
2. Kala KA-C Mahogany Laminate Concert (sold away to upgrade)
3. Kala KA-P Mahogany Laminate Pineapple (sold away to upgrade)
4. Makala MK-S Mahogany Laminate Soprano (sold away to upgrade)

Mistyface
10-06-2013, 11:16 PM
this is really a funny post.

i just wonder how many ukes can a ukulele lover have? 50pcs?
i only have 1pcs of Soprano now and i am waiting my Kamaka Tenor Coming.

hammer40
10-06-2013, 11:24 PM
This thread started 5 years ago (2008), I wonder how the collections have changed since then?

UkerDanno
10-07-2013, 08:10 AM
my meager collection...my first was a Lanakai soprano LU-11 about 2 years ago, paid something like $45 for it and it plays fine, sound is a little plunky. Then I got a Kala KA-CEM and sold it when I upgraded to the Martin C1K, wish I would have kept it. Then just for fun, got the Luna Tattoo pineapple. And most recent the 30's vintage Martin style O. oh, the cowboy uke was my son's it's over 30 years old and only has 2 strings on it, but it actually doesn't sound too bad ;-D might try to put some real uke strings on it.

DanY
07-25-2017, 07:41 PM
Resurrecting this old thread, It's now 2017! I've been lurking around these forums for awhile now and I recognize many usernames that still post today. For those that are still around, I'm interested to know how your collection has changed over the years. Please share!

igorthebarbarian
07-25-2017, 07:58 PM
I've gone through at least 30, and have gone on a huge diet to under 10!

Croaky Keith
07-25-2017, 10:06 PM
I'm only a recent convert to ukes, but I've accumulated eighteen(!).
I say accumulated, because I don't really play them all, my preference was for concert scale when I started, but this has changed to tenor scale small bodied ukes now. :)
I still have every uke that I bought along the way, (but am planning on gifting four of my earlier ones).
UAS was to blame, of course, but I'm cured now. ;)

Yokosmom
07-26-2017, 04:50 AM
I've only been playing (or attempting to learn) for 4 months and I already have 3!

Kala KA CEME Concert (for my office)
Kala KA STG Tenor (for everywhere) bought used
Fluke Concert from Craigslist--haven't played much yet

Even though I am barely able to strum and/or chord, I'm now thinking of getting a soprano...

I play the dulcimer too and have....too many.

Booli
07-26-2017, 02:25 PM
Dont know fer sure but maybe the count is somefin like eleventy-six as of now...

Croaky Keith
07-26-2017, 10:05 PM
...... somefin like eleventy-six as of now...

Where on earth do you stash then all....... :rolleyes:

Booli
07-26-2017, 10:27 PM
Where on earth do you stash then all....... :rolleyes:

Aye - and there's the rub!

One needs to convert a bedroom into a humidor!

hmmm...maybe it was eleventy-nine? I just dunno, stopped counting after the dozen
:smileybounce:

TopDog
07-26-2017, 10:32 PM
I own four sopranos,one sopranino,a concert
and a tenor.Then I have a concert B/U. They
keep me happy,and range from cheap and cheerful
to luthier built instruments!

DownUpDave
07-27-2017, 01:06 AM
My numbers are down from one or two years ago. But that was the plan....... buy..... try, then sell the ones that were not for me.

I currently have 3 baritones, 6 tenors, 1 super concert, 1 concert, 1 long neck soprano for a total of 12 ukes in the house. My LfdM baritone will be completed soon so that will make 13. That is a bad number so I guess I have to buy another uke ;)

1931jim
07-27-2017, 02:54 AM
Dave I'll gladly take your rejected tenor so you have a nice daily dozen.Jim.

SoloRule
07-27-2017, 02:59 AM
My numbers are down from one or two years ago. But that was the plan....... buy..... try, then sell the ones that were not for me.

I currently have 3 baritones, 6 tenors, 1 super concert, 1 concert, 1 long neck soprano for a total of 12 ukes in the house. My LfdM baritone will be completed soon so that will make 13. That is a bad number so I guess I have to buy another uke ;)

I did not know you have a concert. You have been hiding it from me

DownUpDave
07-27-2017, 03:08 AM
I did not know you have a concert. You have been hiding it from me

You know you have a bad memory.........the concert is the plastic one with the Scottish flag. Remember I suprised Simon with one of his own. Poor Brenda, sucks getting old doesn't it

Rob Uker
07-27-2017, 03:08 AM
I have 9 middle of the road quality ukes. Non were expensive.
I also have about 10 homemade ukes.
I love each and every one.

DownUpDave
07-27-2017, 03:09 AM
Dave I'll gladly take your rejected tenor so you have a nice daily dozen.Jim.

Ok Jim, that would work

Chopped Liver
07-27-2017, 03:44 AM
Let's see: I have 4. Makala Shark in teal blue (because I :love: teal), a Pono soprano in Mango (my most expensive), a Lanikai Concert CK-C, and a Eleuke Peanut (that I bought in the marketplace here).

Some day when I get rich (not going to happen) I'd like to try a tenor.

Benjolele
07-27-2017, 11:23 AM
-First one was a Kala Archtop. I decided it was important to buy a real instrument and not a toy for my first. I also wanted something that looked cool, figuring that would inspire me to play. It worked.

-Second was a Kamaka E3 tenor. (A red one) Solid spruce top and huge sound make this one a heck of a bargain. If you're looking for a quality instrument at a really affordable price, I can't recommend these highly enough. It is still my most played ukulele, my go-to for song writing, acoustic jams, serenading my lady, and playing alone.

-Bruce Wei all solid cherry tenor. I keep it strung reentrant (most of my ukes are low G) Nice, mellow tone, but small body for a tenor and the wood is kinda thick, so it's not very loud. Very pretty though, it holds a tune and the intonation is good. Worth the $ as a piece of art to hang on the wall.

-Kala all solid acacia tenor 8 string. I can't say enough about this ukulele. It is simply one of the finest, most beautiful instruments I have ever played. Possibly the highest quality Chinese made instrument I've ever had my hands on. For tone, playability, and pure visual beauty, I'd put it up against many American (including Hawiiaan) and European made.

-Risa Les Paul style, electric, solid body, steel string tenor. This thing rips!! It's basically a legit electric guitar with a tenor ukulele scale and tuning. If ever a ukulele was built for rock and roll, this is it.

-Luna banjolele. Bought it basically brand new on eBay for a really low price. It came out of the box and was more or less what you'd expect from a low end banjolele. Hardware was a little loose, the neck didn't seat properly against the tone ring and the neck angle was a little too severe, fretboard was pressed against the hoop, and the wooden tone ring had a flat edge (90degrees, no bevel at all). I pulled it apart and went at it with a belt sander and rotary sander/grinder. A few hours of labor and a handful of washers later, it is actually a pretty decent sounding concert banjolele.
Thing is though, I don't like the concert size. So, feeling empowered after my successful rebuild, I ordered a tenor neck and fretboard. Should be a fun challenge to convert to the larger size, and hopefully make it more functional for my stubby fingers.

-I also have a Kala Rumbler U-Bass that my girlfriend gave me for Christmas. Slightly different animal, but it's a fun little bass for an acoustic jam, and sounds more appropriate with ukuleles than my electric basses do.

This is my current lineup. I may sell or pass on the Luna and/or the Bruce Wei, as I have sold and passed on others that weren't quite right in the past. And I'm sure the collection will grow in time. I've managed to get a handle on my UAS, so that now I'm only actually considering new ukes if they make sense in my arsenal.

Fun thread, thanks! I do like talking about my ukes!

Nickie
07-27-2017, 11:48 AM
I'm down to a sensible 5. One concert in hi g, one concert in lo G, one tenor banjouke, and a wallhanger concert, the neck is warped. Boohoo.
This collection is staying small.

Prattism@gmail.com
07-27-2017, 12:58 PM
I have way too many. I keep half-a-dozen in my study, 3 in my bedroom, a couple in the living room and lanai, and 4 more at the office. I've also given several to my daughter and niece. Currently on hand are:

Tenors
Mya-Moe Master Grade Chocolate Heart Myrtle Tenor
Kanile'a ISL-T-P Islands Premium Koa Tenor (Low G)
Cordoba 35TS-CE Acacia body/Spruce top Tenor (A Tuning)
Fluke Walnut Top Rosewood Fretboard
Bruce Wei Solid Acacia HI Islands Soundhole Tenor
Lanikai SMP-T Solid Monkey Pod Tenor
Bruce Wei Solid Mahogany Turtle Inlay Cutaway Tenor

Concerts
Pono MGCD Concert Mango Deluxe
Grape Bird's-Eye Maple Concert
Bruce Wei Acacia Concert Dove Inlay
Mitchel MU70 Concert

Sopranos
Black Bear Koa Soprano
Kamaka Gold Label Soprano '50s (Grandpa hand-me-down)
Vintage Maccaferri Islander
Kala KA-S Soprano Mahogany

The Mya-Moe, Kanilea, Fluke, Pono and Black Bear easily get 90%+ of the playing time.

I think I'm going to try to prune this down to about 7-8 in the near future and do my darnedest to keep it there.

bearbike137
07-27-2017, 01:08 PM
I own a grand total of 1: a Ko'olau 20th Anniversary Koa Tenor. I have spent past five years shopping for my lifetime keeper. I finally found it in this uke and I don't need another. I tried a bunch - bought and sold a bunch (including 3 other Ko'olau tenors) - but this one is in a league of its own. So for me - it's just this one.

DanY
07-27-2017, 02:16 PM
I own a grand total of 1: a Ko'olau 20th Anniversary Koa Tenor. I have spent past five years shopping for my lifetime keeper. I finally found it in this uke and I don't need another. I tried a bunch - bought and sold a bunch (including 3 other Ko'olau tenors) - but this one is in a league of its own. So for me - it's just this one.

Nice! Did you buy the Ko'olau Taro or Ulu 20th Anniversary? Can you share any pics so I can drool all over them.

bearbike137
07-27-2017, 06:16 PM
Nice! Did you buy the Ko'olau Taro or Ulu 20th Anniversary? Can you share any pics so I can drool all over them.

This one:

http://www.theukulelesite.com/ko-olau-20-year-anniversary-custom-tenor-ulu-2028.html

Booli
07-27-2017, 08:52 PM
This one:

http://www.theukulelesite.com/ko-olau-20-year-anniversary-custom-tenor-ulu-2028.html

I'm just going to say 'OH MY GOD' that is so wonderful looking that I am going to cry.

Congrats brother! :)

With an instrument like that, I totally understand why it is your only uke and 'the one'...

DanY
07-28-2017, 02:22 AM
I'm just going to say 'OH MY GOD' that is so wonderful looking that I am going to cry.

Congrats brother! :)

With an instrument like that, I totally understand why it is your only uke and 'the one'...

LOL same here! My dream uke, It's gorgeous! Please excuse my excess drooling.

bearbike137
07-28-2017, 05:03 AM
Thank you! The folks at Ko'olau are doing amazing work - and thank you also to Andrew at HMS for helping me find the uke of my dreams. Hey - that sounds like a song... :-)

komedy
07-28-2017, 01:55 PM
Kamaka e3? you mean Kamoa E3?

[QUOTE=Benjolele;1983556]

gitarzan
07-28-2017, 03:02 PM
See my sig.