Koaloha vs Pono ding ding?

Thebiggreen007

Reaction score
Time to upgrade:
I have been playing uku for 4 months and I have played several different ukus, including the Koaloha and the Pono. I like the tone of both. I like the way they both play? Does anyone have experience with either one or both of these? (Stupid question, I know) What are your views of long-term enjoyment of these instruments? Koaloha KTM-00 Tenor vs PONO UKULELE TENOR PRO CLASSIC ROSEWOOD
Suggestions: Or other ukus in the range of 1000.00
Thank you for any advice.

Pono Tenors are magic, but KoAloha Tenors are awesome! :cool:

KoAlohas are magic for those that love particularly thin necks.

Ponos are magic for those that love particularly thick.

Well I've had both. And I liked both. I still have two Pono Pro Classics and sold the Koaloha. The Ponos tend to be less expensive than the Koaloha. They are very different. I sold the Koaloha because I have other ukes and the Koaloha did not fit a unique niche for me whereas the Ponos do. If I were going to have one "good" tenor I'd pick a Koaloha over a Pono, in part because it is more traditional. But for me I'd go with a Kamaka over a Koaloha. A bit more expensive but worth it to me.

one is made in Hawaii and the other not in Hawaii, if the pono has a radius fretboard ill go for that one if it was me, of course both sounding good. I would look for a used custom in that price range.

I have a few of both. They are all awesome, each brand with its own distinctive sound and feel.

The KoAloha people are really caring and have a great track record when it comes to customer service.
Maybe the Pono folks are too, but I personally haven't heard/read much about them.

Tough choice, but whichever you chose, I'm sure you'll be satisfied.

If you are going to compare a Pono to a KoAloha, the pro classic is the right model. They both have their fans. If we were talking about concerts, that KoAloha is one of the two concerts often referred to as "the tone monsters" (the other is the Kanilea). If you could play them both, one of those tenors would likely choose you.

Last edited:
I knew that when asking this question it would be a tough choice as they are both nice and original in their own way.
Before I pull the trigger on one I might take a ride to Uku Republic again and play them one more time.

Hey I want to thank everyone for their advice and opinions.
I will post a pic when I pick one out or it picks me.

Thanks again.

Rockin the Uku

Epiphone Les Paul Acoustic-Electric Ukulele Sunburst
Laniki LKP-C
Oscar Schmidt 0U7TE
Bruce Wei Mango cutaway
Oscar Schmidt OU 270 T5K
Oscar Schmidt 0U28T

Only one choice here. You will buy one, and a year later (more or less, doesn't matter) you will buy the other.

Save the money on next year's price increase. Get both now.

Only one choice here. You will buy one, and a year later (more or less, doesn't matter) you will buy the other.

Save the money on next year's price increase. Get both now.

Well, said.

I have played both. And then bought 4 Pono Classic Tenors. I will still have three of them. One Cedar top (Low G), and two Spruce Tops (Low G and Re entrant).

I bought the Cedar top initially, and love it. Then I got a Spruce top ... and love the sound more. Will keep all three.

I also play ALOT of barring ... and for me, the radius helps remove the stress of barring from my wrist as I am 6'5" and have VERY long arms ... the radius also helps in getting a clearer tone.

I am not looking for a traditional Uke sound.

Thank you Sam13. I am 6'3" and also have long arms. Your advice and counsel is duly noted.

Thank you also stevepetergal. I will agree with you also, I know myself, I will end up with both of them. I'm also a lifelong guitar player with way too many guitars and now a growing collection of ukuleles.

6 in less than 4 months.

Bottom line is...get whichever one comes up for sale on UU first...see if you like it, if not pass it on. If you buy right on the forum you can't go wrong...

Right, Sam??

Tough decision take your time and play as many as you can. I ended up with a Pono Pro-Classic Cedar top because when we play live I needed a sound that was a bit softer than koa or mahogany. But I know sometime in the future I will be buying a k-brand solid koa

There are a variety of wood choices in the Pro Classic line and they can sound quite different. My favorite of the ones I've had was the macassar ebony / spruce. It is probably more guitar-like and given your experience there that could be a good or bad thing (maybe you're looking for a strong departure). Hard to go wrong with either and both have great re-sale value.

As to other options in the $1K range, you could also consider something like a Covered Bridge custom (has a beefy neck, which you might like coming from guitar). They start around $900. Another one of my favorites in the under $1,500 price range is the Blackbird Clara (about $1,100) and would introduce you to another size (concert).

Welcome to UAS!

I have both in different sizes. If you want a concert, the KoAloha hands down. Tenor depends on a few things. Pono has the truss-rod and thicker neck... and radius fretboard, if you like that. KoAloha really vibrates and can be quite loud. I love my KoAloha tenor.

Pono baritones are FANTASTIC, btw.

Well, said.

I have played both. And then bought 4 Pono Classic Tenors. I will still have three of them. One Cedar top (Low G), and two Spruce Tops (Low G and Re entrant).

I bought the Cedar top initially, and love it. Then I got a Spruce top ... and love the sound more. Will keep all three.

I also play ALOT of barring ... and for me, the radius helps remove the stress of barring from my wrist as I am 6'5" and have VERY long arms ... the radius also helps in getting a clearer tone.

I am not looking for a traditional Uke sound.

If you like the traditional sound it means you like simple sound,
And since you mean upgrade, you mean your budget is in the
1 grand range... pssttt, go to a good uke store and play and compare
Side to side with your ears and fingers, buy the best in that sense and
Don't look at brand names. If you were buying a race car, would you
Choose the car on its color or make? I think not, choose on the performance first what works for you...don't depend on others opinions as they might not be the same for you. ..

I have both in different sizes. If you want a concert, the KoAloha hands down. Tenor depends on a few things. Pono has the truss-rod and thicker neck... and radius fretboard, if you like that. KoAloha really vibrates and can be quite loud. I love my KoAloha tenor.

Pono baritones are FANTASTIC, btw.

agree w all here

Top Bottom