NUD Gretsch g9120 Koa Tenor

dlknight

Reaction score
Went to Fed Ex this morning and picked my new Uke up. I opened it up there to check condition then put everything back. Had to work all day with it sitting in the passenger side Seat right next to me. Got back to the office and opened it up. Gosh it is even more beautiful than the pics can show. Solid Koa top, back, and sides. Top and back look to be one piece. It smells wonderful. I finally got to play it a little tonight. I don't play well. Just began about a month ago. I play a little Amazing Grace and started on Simple Man tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_20150318_170651.jpg
    IMG_20150318_170651.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20150318_170732.jpg
    IMG_20150318_170732.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20150318_170829.jpg
    IMG_20150318_170829.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20150318_170901.jpg
    IMG_20150318_170901.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20150318_170937.jpg
    IMG_20150318_170937.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 100
congrats on the new uke..I saw and played these at HMS...solid build and great tone....you get a lot more uke than the price you paid all solid wood..etc....:)

That is a truly beautiful instrument, reminds me a lot of a Kamaka tenor. Great looking pieces of koa on that, much nicer than many ukes that cost $1000 ++. Congratulations on a great ukulele, you are smart to get something good that you love early on as it will keep the desires burning to play when frustration sometimes sets in.

The Gretsch all solid koa tenor ukulele is a great value for the money. In addition to its easy playability, more than adequate volume, and pleasing tone, I particularly like the fact that Gretsch is incorporating one piece necks on those instruments as opposed to the crappy looking stacked necks and scarfed headstocks you see on so many instruments.

I'm a big fan of Gretsch, I was dying to have the koa model but it was unavailable at the time. My hog gretsch is an amazing instrument for $219. Best bang for buck of any uke I own. If it was my only uke I'd be satisfied.

Congrats! I own 3 Gretsch Ukes. They're great!

I have the same set of circumstances as Icelander53. Very happy with the solid mahogany Gretsch tenor (9120-sm) I bought. Great tone and clarity. If the Australian exchange rate wasn't so diabolical, I'd sell my soprano uke and get the Gretsch solid mahogany or koa concert. 2 ukes are plenty enough and why spend a fortune when you don't need to.

Last edited:
Congratulations. Sure seems like a quality uke at a very reasonable price.

Beautiful and I'm sure the tone is wonderful as well. My husband has the tenor mahogany deluxe model they first came out with (they don't make them anymore) and he loves it. Gretsch really does it right.

Very happy with the solid mahogany Gretsch tenor (9120-sm) I bought.

Me too! I'm yet to change strings on mine. Have you found a string to it sing?

Tim

I like Oasis Low G strings. At least that's what I'm using but I have a feeling that Worths might be a good choice also. I have a Pono Cedar/hog with Worths and a South Coast Low G string and I'm amazed at what it did for that Pono. Strings make a difference. It took me awhile to really understand how much and how much of an unknown it can be until you put them on and play.

I was thinking of going with a low g set of strings. I don't really know where to start. What type of strings I should try first. Also do you use the same chords on a low g as high g.

I was thinking of going with a low g set of strings. I don't really know where to start. What type of strings I should try first.

Warning-To my ears, this gives them more of a guitar like sound. You'll like it or not!:)

Congrats on the new uke. Very pretty. Nice to have the end pin too. Plus HMS does an awesome job of setting up their ukes. Glad it make it to you safely (I always worry about ukes going through the mailing process).
Also, I love that you mentioned the "smell" - haha - enjoy!

Gotta love that new uke smell!!!

I like the low G and high G sound. Depending on the song, each has some great advantages.

Gotta love that new uke smell!!!

I like the low G and high G sound. Depending on the song, each has some great advantages.

I agree Jenny, but I have only heard low g on you tube videos. But with having a low g tenor I guess I would need a high g as well. Isn't that what UAS is sort of all about.

Top Bottom