Problem with playing videos

I'm trying to track down a problem that I have been having for the past month or so with playing videos. In particular, attempting to open a video link to any of the UU videos results in a complete lock up of Internet Explorer (v7) and requires using the Task Manager to shut it down. This also seems to leave IE trashed in general for subsequent use and requires restarting the computer to clear up. I experience a similar experience with videos from CNN, but they don't completely trash IE. Other videos, like YouTube work ok. I seem to recall that UU videos and CNN videos autostart when clicking the link. I am considering that this may be part of the problem. If someone can confirm autostart, I'll try to track down the issue further. None of the videos that I can watch autostart, and all have the little 'play' control displayed. The operating system is Vista.

Don

Have you tried a different browser? Firefox? Chrome?

No. IE was working fine until a month ago. So far as I know, I didn't change anything, but then Vista/IE change themselves from time to time. :rolleyes:

I installed FireFox and that cleared up some of the problem. Actually there were probably two problems and one is now straightened out. I can at now play CNN videos, which do autostart. FireFox caused Adobe Flash Video player to be reinstalled, and I would guess that this cleared the CNN problem.

But, the unaltered problem remains with UU videos. Installing FireFox has given me a bit more information. I think it not a video playing problem at all. I find that I cannot connect to the ukuleleunderground.com home page or the portion of the site contaning the videos. The page starts loading with lots of data transfers being indicated in the status window at the screen bottom in FireFox. However, lockup occurs with the message "Transferring data from cdn-static.vidder.com..." being displayed. Firefox stops responding to anything at this point. In fact the whole system seems about locked. Even the Vista Task Manager will not shut FireFox down. A hardware reset is the only thing that works at this point. Behavior is exactly the same as when using IE.

When I installed FireFox, I did import IE settings. I expect something is not set right there, but everything looks ok. Maybe I will revisit this later, uninstall FireFox, and reinstall without importing IE settings. In any event, I'm off to other things... Tired messing with this. :wallbash: :D

Are the videos cross-posted anyplace else? I really only need to see #39 at the moment...

Sorry Sesso, but I cannot connect to that link. Attempting to do so duplicates the above described behavior. Point of fact, I can't even connect to viddle's home page at <http://www.viddler.com/> Same problem with lockup during some sort of data transfer from viddler. IE or Firefox. Attempting connection with viddler is the initiator of the problem. So far as I recall, I've never encountered this problem with any other site...

I do like Firefox better. At least something worthwhile coming out of this :)

Sorry Sesso, but I cannot connect to that link. Attempting to do so duplicates the above described behavior. Point of fact, I can't even connect to viddle's home page at <http://www.viddler.com/> Same problem with lockup during some sort of data transfer from viddler. IE or Firefox. Attempting connection with viddler is the initiator of the problem. So far as I recall, I've never encountered this problem with any other site...

I do like Firefox better. At least something worthwhile coming out of this :)

told you so;)

but for the problem with viddler... hmmm.. dunno, I'm experiencing some heavy problems while trying to connect to YT lately... but not that the whole system would shut down...

Top Bottom