the 2-step chord change

pluck

Reaction score
After months of figuring out how I was going to hold my uke without the head always falling down I've decided that the two-step chord change may be the solution. With this the idea is that you never actually let go of the neck. When you change chords, leave one finger in place on the old chord until the rest of my fingers are in place on the new chord, then move the last finger over. Or, if I'm switching over to an Em I'll put my pinky in place before letting go of the old chord. It's a little slower, especially at first, but it seems possible to smooth things out with practice. Does anyone else do this intentionally? One downside to this is that it does require a bit of concentration, especially when working on a new song or figuring out a new chord change. It's hasn't really become second nature yet, something I can do without thinking about.

My solution to not dropping the uke was to use a strap.

Yep. Strap made all the difference when I was learning.

Some strap users: Jake, James Hill, Daniel Ho............if they admit to needing the help a strap provides we are in good company. I know some are against a strap and that's cool........to each there own.

When you change chords, leave one finger in place on the old chord until the rest of my fingers are in place on the new chord, then move the last finger over ... Does anyone else do this intentionally?

For several chord changes I deliberately do this sort of thing, but for musical effect, not to prevent dropping the instrument ... for that I use a strap ;)

Doing a 2-stage chord change can sound good. But it can also sound odd.
Using a strap means you can do a 2-stage, or a 1-stage change, and still not drop the uke. It also allows you to turn the page, pick up a drink, swat a fly, and do many other things, all without dropping the uke. They really are a great invention.

I do use a strap on my tenor but I prefer to play my soprano and I don't want to use a strap on the soprano.

If you're really so averse to straps, why not just play exclusively on the floor laying on your back? Seems easier than the 2-step chord thing. People will get over the awkwardness of you plinking while prostrate after a while.

I can see that this isn't going to be a very popular idea.

Yes and no. In general, if two chords have a finger in the same position (or a barre), instead of lifting the finger off the string entirely, I'll maintain contact with the string as I change chords. This is a common technique called "guide fingering"; it helps by keeping your orientation with respect to the strings and providing a pivot or anchor around which your other fingers can move more surely. If I can easily refinger one chord so that it provides a guide finger to the next chord (or from the previous chord), I'll often do it.

But I wouldn't recommend doing what you're suggesting just to help support the uke—it's limiting and overcomplicates a process which is already complicated (especially for a beginner). A strap or thong supports the uke much better. With a strap, your right hand is also freer to move, and the instrument is freer to vibrate, not being clamped against your torso.

I'm a little surprised by the negativity towards this because I'm pretty sure I read or heard or saw someone, maybe James Hill, say that there was sometimes a benefit to changing chords one finger at a time - not to hold up the neck but because sometimes it's just easier and it promotes finger independence. The idea was that though it might be slow at first you would eventually be pretty quick with it. I think that what I'm suggesting is not terribly different than this. Oh, well.

I started working on this a while back when I was working on a tune that went back and forth between A and Gm. I found that when going to Gm I could put my third finger on the second string before letting go of the A with the first and second fingers. On moving back to A I moved the 1st and 2nd fingers before letting go with the 3rd finger. I thought it was a nice solution to the problems that resulted from just letting go of the neck.

Again, I use a strap with my tenor but I really don't want one on my soprano. That's the way I strum.

Last edited:
Pluck, I really didn't mean to rain on your parade. Just having a bit of fun there.

Only you will know whether it's been useful to you. Even if you're not changing chords that way in a year, you'll still have found something out by going through the process. We will all pick up and put back down many such concepts on the way to wherever it is we are going in our uke journeys.

I suspect that if you are resolute in your decision to change chords that way, your playing on the soprano will be different than on your tenor, with a strap. That's the case for me. I have a concert with a sound hole hook and a soprano, which I play without any strap. I mostly strum open, first position chords, or really scrunch that thing in using my arm leg, chin and whatever else I can hold it still with in order to go up the neck a bit.

Nick

BTW, for your A to Dm example, I use my middle finger on the 4th string for both chords; only my index and ring fingers move (MIoo - MRIo - MIoo). This is a perfect example of refingering a chord to achieve a simpler transition.

Ubulele, As always, I appreciate your input. Unfortunately my A to Dm example should have been my A to Gm example (corrected now). Unfortunately I cannot type and think at the same time.

Ok, let me preface by saying that I just started playing the uke almost 3 months ago, so take my input with a grain of salt.

Pluck, I think that if the technique works for you then go for it. I know plenty of novice learners in other type of instruments learned faster using unconventional, non-traditional, unpopular methods and eventually evolved to a better player. My point is that, if this will help you in learning progression, then I'd say go for it. I must admit it sounds somewhat limiting, because it seems like an additional step (for me) to remember of what already seems to be a complicated process as a novice (strumming technique, chord memorizing, harmonizing, counting beats, etc.) In my case, strap helps tremendously (especially when I play concert size), but when I use my soprano, I typically do not use it. What works for me pertaining to the neck falling down, is to position my fretboard/neck 60 degrees, if not greater, in reference to the horizon or my waist as opposed to the 45 or 30 degrees that I see a lot in tutorials. Then I pinch the lower bout of the uke with my upper arm against my chest/lower chest. That way, I don't have to fight much against gravity. I don't know if I'm making sense.

That being said, do what works best for you.

When changing chords with a note in common it's great to leave a finger down. A simple ||:C, Am, F, G7:|| pattern is a good beginning set of chords and you can leave the 2nd fret 4th string in place when you change from Am to F and the 1st finger 2nd string in place when you change from the F to G7 and slide the second fret, 1st string up to the 3rd fret when changing back to the C chord.

I would avoid using your left hand to support the uke. You will have a lot smoother changes if you avoid this. I used to play the uke without a strap, which meant I had to sit when I played the uke. Since everyone else in the group was standing and I stood when I switched to guitar, banjo or mandolin, I soon made the decision to put straps on my ukes. Since I have never performed with the soprano, but only use it around the house, it still has no strap.

My solution to not dropping the uke was to use a strap.

I truley admire those that can play without a strap. I attend three uke jams and all three leaders play standing up without a strap, they are professional musicians. These players talk more about clamping the uke to their body with the right forearm on the lower bout as a means of support. They even let go completely with there left hand, easier with a soprano or concert. It looks so easy and care free, just grab your uke and start strumming as you stroll down the beach with the waves crashing at your feet.

If you are committed to learning that technique, more power to you and continue onward. Most people agree finding a pivot finger is benefical to good playing, no doubt about it.

I truley admire those that can play without a strap. I attend three uke jams and all three leaders play standing up without a strap, they are professional musicians. These players talk more about clamping the uke to their body with the right forearm on the lower bout as a means of support. They even let go completely with there left hand, easier with a soprano or concert. It looks so easy and care free, just grab your uke and start strumming as you stroll down the beach with the waves crashing at your feet.

If you are committed to learning that technique, more power to you and continue onward. Most people agree finding a pivot finger is benefical to good playing, no doubt about it.

Well, DUD1, that's the way lots of peeps hold their Ukes, but, if one clamps too firmly, it may deaden or muffle his/her Uke. Right arm movement might be compromised too.

Everyone knows that hangin' loose is better! :eek:ld:

Top Bottom