Deering Banjo Uke at Elderly!

RichM

Reaction score
Elderly Instruments now has the Deering banjo-uke in stock. Somebody go buy one and tell me about it!

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/deering-goodtime-banjo-ukulele--GOODUKE.htm

GOODUKE_front.jpg

Would like to know which strings it comes with....

$400 sounds a little "dear" (sorry), especially since Fireflys sell for roughly half that much. I hope Deering will have some to test drive in their booth at Merlefest, even so!

I'm wondering if it will handle metal strings. I have a Rally concert size with a full resonator. I had Goldtone install a calfskin head, no knot tailpiece, a zero fret and a complete setup. I don't need another nylon strung concert, even if it is a Deering.

Last edited:
That bridge/saddle arrangement is interesting. Would like to get that item and try it on my Gretsch banjo ipuke.

I don't know why but I hate the tuners. I think open geared tuners would look better. I'm also curious about the bridge and saddle setup.

I spotted that on the site probably the same day they came in....Yes, I was very tempted.. No, I didn't buy one. I have played their tenor banjos though, and they are quality, especially for the price. Keep in mind they're made in the USA too when you're looking at the price. The price is very reasonable, in my opinion. I've kept checking it off and on and I'm surprised they're not showing "out-of-stock" already.

Also, the price on the Firefly that someone mentioned above, with wood fretboard, is $334 for the concert scale at Elderly. Magic Fluke increased all their prices. The Firefly is a neat instrument (I've played a soprano) but honestly the pot on that thing is nowhere near the quality of the Deering pot (same one that comes on the tenors I played). It's like comparing real wood to glorified cardboard. Plus with the Deering you can change tension, etc. Considering the price, you get a lot more bang for the buck with the Deering.
For the record, I do like the Magic Fluke products...I'm not trying to bash them. I like what they do.

I'm wondering if it will handle metal strings
That's a good question. It looks like it is built the same as the other Goodtime banjos, so it seems it would. I'd contact Deering to make sure. Their Goodtime banjos don't have a truss rod and they hold up to steel strings just fine.. A shorter neck like that should be even more stable. Now you've got me thinking. ha.
I'd already thought about adjusting the nut and such and getting and putting nylon strings on one of their tenor banjos...but steel on this could be interesting too.

$400 sounds a little "dear" (sorry), especially since Fireflys sell for roughly half that much. I hope Deering will have some to test drive in their booth at Merlefest, even so!

I've played a prototype of the Deering Banjo uke when I visited their factory, and I've owned a firefly. The difference in price is justified by the difference in construction - and I think they are both a pretty good value for money. The Deering is constructed like a traditional banjo while the Firefly takes a couple of shortcuts.

I found the Deering to have a lot more tone than the Firefly - it was fuller, richer, mellower and had better note definition.

I have a Firefly which I love for its lightweightedness. I also have a Waverly banjo uke. I should be all over this but something about its look makes it look funny. Might be the pot is too big. Agree that you might as well just get the full tenor banjo which would really open up more string possibilities.

I don't see it mentioned in the specifications, but does the Goodtime have a tone ring ?

I put an EZ resonator (about $50) on my Deeting Goodtime 17-Fret and it really increased the volume. If it's the same head and coordinator rod, the EZ resonator should fit on this banjo uke.

The Goodtime tenor that is linked to above is not a banjo uke -- it is an "Irish" (short neck, 17-fret) tenor banjo, which is meant for steel strings tuned GDAE, not gut strings.

That said, I have been looking for JUST that banjo! I have been trying to play Irish fiddle tunes on a tenor guitar, and the longer scale length is a bit too much of a reach for comfort.

I have a Gold Tone soprano banjolele. I am curious if the larger pot on the Goodtime makes it louder (not necessary, IMHO), or maybe provides a fuller tone (which would be nice)?

The Goodtime tenor that is linked to above is not a banjo uke -- it is an "Irish" (short neck, 17-fret) tenor banjo, which is meant for steel strings tuned GDAE, not gut strings.

That said, I have been looking for JUST that banjo! I have been trying to play Irish fiddle tunes on a tenor guitar, and the longer scale length is a bit too much of a reach for comfort.

I have a Gold Tone soprano banjolele. I am curious if the larger pot on the Goodtime makes it louder (not necessary, IMHO), or maybe provides a fuller tone (which would be nice)?

Don't know if the 17-Fret tenor banjo will meet your needs. The photo is of my Blueridge BR-40T tenor guitar beside my Deering Goodtime 17-Fret tenor banjo. They are lined up to show scale (and reach) length. If the TG is too ling, the TB may be no better. That makes the Deering banjo uke quite interesting.

image.jpg

I think we're getting our streams crossed here :). We started talking about the Deering Goodtime banjo-uke, which is a concert-scale uke with an 11" pot, and another poster noted that he might prefer the Goodtime tenor banjo, which uses the same pot. Everyone is entitled to their preferences, but I think it's pretty confusing to compare a 15" scale banjo uke to a ~20" scale Irish tenor-- apples and oranges.

I'm not sure if BigMama was asking about the banjo-uke or the tenor; I haven't played the Deering banjo-uke, so I can't answer specifically, but I have a lot of experience with banjos, and a larger pot and larger head will usually result in more bass response. I would guess that the Deering banjo uke has a bigger and deeper tone than the "typical" banjo uke, which often has an 8" head.

Here we go! Here's Jens Kruger giving a Deering banjo-uke a workout. Very nice tone, but more "banjo" than "banjo uke." Some folks will probably like it, some will not.

Top Bottom