finally successful with strings for pono MCD

chuck in ny

Reaction score
this ukulele has been unusually muted and i could not find the right strings for it. it could not be used for gigging. this is fine as it's just for home play, just giving an idea of sound level. rather than a sound cannon, this instrument is the black hole of sound.
worth clear and brown have been undernourished and even going to martin 600s would not let the instrument speak.
the next step was daddario T2s, the 87c strings. they were a little better, some extra treble sparkle, otherwise probably too thick for this uke, not balanced string to string, not keepers.
what worked was savarez 540R alliance normal tension guitar strings, set of 3 trebles. they have beautiful balance with each string speaking well, with the E having ring and sustain.
i think the daddarios showed that more experimentation could have been done with nylon strings, aquila lavas and so forth. this isn't terribly interesting as i would rather stick with fluorocarbon as i am used to them and really like them.
i'm a wind player playing ukulele to have a small string life where most of you are real string people, you have the touch, and the long experience with guitars and ukuleles. i am glad i took a page from your book and went to the guitar side of life. from the little i've seen savarez must have some nice stuff.
back to sound level. the pono is used for low volume practice. even at that modest level of sound, martin 600s and the others were frustrating in their lack of definition, sustain, and volume. i suspect the pono took a vow of silence.

It's strange how certain strings do not suit, even the same brand and model, I tried quite a few on my Pono and the only one's that I liked were worth browns, tried them on other uke's and they were horrible, glad your sorted though.

Top Bottom