Memphis Ukuleles

Ken. Let me guess: you are not exactly new to this. Nice stuff. Love your use of grain in the design. So logical and clean. Has me thinking...

They look great. CA finish? You'd better write a tutorial here, pronto!

Cheers / Sven

Thanks, Sven. I use Starbond thin odoless. It comes in 16 oz. bottles. I spread on a thin coat with black nitrile gloves one section at a time. Then I spray accelerator. Sand lightly with 320 gold paper and repeat for 5 or six coats. Then I level sand and wet sand from 320 to 1500 and buff. It fills the pores and then builds a film. Not too hard. On the top and the neck I do a wash coat of shellac first. Otherwise it can get blotchy on the soft wood or end grain.

A really impressive set of ukes, beautiful wood and superbly constructed! Its interesting to see/hear about the CA finish. I also really like your rosettes. Its always good to see what others are making.

A really impressive set of ukes, beautiful wood and superbly constructed! Its interesting to see/hear about the CA finish. I also really like your rosettes. Its always good to see what others are making.

Thanks, greenscoe. I did a short explanation of what I do with the Starbond thin odorless in a reply on the first page. I suppose I could have added that some use a paper towel to apply it but too much gets absorbed for my liking and it's not cheap stuff so that's why I use the black powderless nitrile gloves. I like the fact that there is no barrier between the pore fill and the finish. I goes on pretty fast and the sound of the ukuleles doesn't suffer. There are some odd marks that show up after buffing but after a day or two they buff out and don't return.

I think they look awesome. Real "lookers"....my gut tells me they sound as good as they look. I especially like the one at the bottom too and that dark headstock, whetever it's attached to. I would be excited to get a closer look at and play one of these babies if I saw them. I'm a concert fan, but for the right uke, I'd play a tenor.

what kind of finish are on the ukes...I am not familiar with Cyanoacrylate...

Last edited:
See you there Ken- I should have at least one uke and a few guitars :)

Top Bottom