PDA

View Full Version : Memphis Ukuleles

Ken Franklin
03-20-2015, 11:17 AM
I'll be showing my guitars at the Memphis Acoustic Guitar Festival in June but I'll also be bringing along some ukuleles. Have a look and let me know what you think. Ken

http://www.franklinguitars.com/Site/Ukuleles.html

Michael Smith
03-20-2015, 01:19 PM
They look really great Ken. Hey you are just up the freeway from me.

Patrick Madsen
03-20-2015, 01:54 PM
Welcome Ken. What size are they? They look really good. The bottom one especially.

Sven
03-20-2015, 02:43 PM
They look great. CA finish? You'd better write a tutorial here, pronto!

Cheers / Sven

JustVince
03-20-2015, 03:29 PM
Beautiful work you do Ken. Regards, Vince

sequoia
03-20-2015, 07:38 PM
Ken. Let me guess: you are not exactly new to this. Nice stuff. Love your use of grain in the design. So logical and clean. Has me thinking...

Ken Franklin
03-20-2015, 11:28 PM
Welcome Ken. What size are they? They look really good. The bottom one especially.

Thanks, Patrick. They're all tenors. I made a concert once but I seem to like the tenors more.

Ken Franklin
03-20-2015, 11:40 PM
They look great. CA finish? You'd better write a tutorial here, pronto!

Cheers / Sven

Thanks, Sven. I use Starbond thin odoless. It comes in 16 oz. bottles. I spread on a thin coat with black nitrile gloves one section at a time. Then I spray accelerator. Sand lightly with 320 gold paper and repeat for 5 or six coats. Then I level sand and wet sand from 320 to 1500 and buff. It fills the pores and then builds a film. Not too hard. On the top and the neck I do a wash coat of shellac first. Otherwise it can get blotchy on the soft wood or end grain.

Ken Franklin
03-20-2015, 11:42 PM
They look really great Ken. Hey you are just up the freeway from me.

Yes, we ought to get together sometime. I really like your unique instruments.

Ken Franklin
03-20-2015, 11:45 PM
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

greenscoe
03-21-2015, 01:57 AM
A really impressive set of ukes, beautiful wood and superbly constructed! Its interesting to see/hear about the CA finish. I also really like your rosettes. Its always good to see what others are making.

jcalkin
03-21-2015, 03:43 AM
Beautiful work, Ken. All the trim work is very tasty.

Ken Franklin
03-21-2015, 05:52 AM
A really impressive set of ukes, beautiful wood and superbly constructed! Its interesting to see/hear about the CA finish. I also really like your rosettes. Its always good to see what others are making.

Thanks, greenscoe. I did a short explanation of what I do with the Starbond thin odorless in a reply on the first page. I suppose I could have added that some use a paper towel to apply it but too much gets absorbed for my liking and it's not cheap stuff so that's why I use the black powderless nitrile gloves. I like the fact that there is no barrier between the pore fill and the finish. I goes on pretty fast and the sound of the ukuleles doesn't suffer. There are some odd marks that show up after buffing but after a day or two they buff out and don't return.

PhilUSAFRet
03-21-2015, 06:16 AM
I think they look awesome. Real "lookers"....my gut tells me they sound as good as they look. I especially like the one at the bottom too and that dark headstock, whetever it's attached to. I would be excited to get a closer look at and play one of these babies if I saw them. I'm a concert fan, but for the right uke, I'd play a tenor.

hawaii 50
03-21-2015, 11:42 AM
what kind of finish are on the ukes...I am not familiar with Cyanoacrylate...

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
03-21-2015, 12:07 PM
See you there Ken- I should have at least one uke and a few guitars :)