Which Mainland Concert?

jeremycole

Reaction score
Hey y'all-
Looking for some advice on a new uke (unfortunately to replace some of the current ones- hate to see them go!). I've found I'm not playing as much and so wanted to trade in for a new, does-it-all type model. I'm thinking I'm going to sell my Mainland mahogany tenor and my Luna Koa laminate concert to trade in for a new Mainland Concert- trying to decide between the mahogany, red cedar, or mango. Obviously, I've owned the mahogany tenor and I liked it a lot, but wanted to hear some opinions on the three (and you can't beat the beauty of that Red cedar)!

Any advice or opinions are appreciated. Thanks!
Jeremy

I've owned a concert cedar, concert mango, and my classroom has 30 mahogany concerts and 30 mahogany sopranos.

Go with the cedar ;)

Go with the cedar. And keep your tenor :)

They all sound great and are beautiful. I had a really hard time deciding, too. I went with the mahogany concert.

You should keep your hog tenor. I bet you would regret selling it.

Coolio....I've wanted a Mainland Cedar top ever since I heard the first one. A friend of ours has one and she's crazy about it. Mainland seems pretty consistent with their ukes, I've never heard a bad one.

They are ALL good (and yes, I've owned them all!) But I think the Red Cedar is something really special that Mainland does... it I had only one Mainland, it would be a red cedar (well, I do have only one and it is!).

I'm leaning toward the cedar (for obvious reasons, considering the responses above). A quick question for anyone who's had or played both; what is the difference in tone between the cedar and the mahogany? I assume the cedar is a little brighter, but to what degree? Is the cedar still good for playing the slower, less plucky songs?

I'm leaning toward the cedar (for obvious reasons, considering the responses above). A quick question for anyone who's had or played both; what is the difference in tone between the cedar and the mahogany? I assume the cedar is a little brighter, but to what degree? Is the cedar still good for playing the slower, less plucky songs?

What I liked about the red cedar is that even though it has a brighter sound, it still has a fullness to it. It also has a lot of volume and sustain. That's the best way I know how to describe it. You could play whatever style you wish with the red cedar. They are very nice, and beautiful. Trust me, you will LOVE it.

The red cedar is also very pretty. It's hard for me to tell it from redwood, but maybe the grain of cedar looks a little tighter....?
It doesn't hurt that they use a rope design border/binding, I really like the look.

The red cedar is also very pretty. It's hard for me to tell it from redwood, but maybe the grain of cedar looks a little tighter....?
It doesn't hurt that they use a rope design border/binding, I really like the look.

I agree. I love the rope binding. It's a nice touch. And the color contrast between the red cedar and rosewood is truly beautiful.

Top Bottom