NUD: Pono MGT solid mango tenor

cpmusic

Reaction score
I just got my new Pono MGT, and I am one Happy Camper! I knew that Pono is highly regarded, but mango was a risk because I had no direct access to a mango uke and could only hear the tone at HMS's website.

I needn't have fretted (pun intended). At the suggestion of the guys at HMS, I asked them to set it up with Worth BTs, and while I can't compare to the same uke with its stock strings, this one has a warm, balanced tone that responds well to picking (as much as I can do right now) but sounds good strummed, too. The strings feel a little hard, but that may be due solely to my having played my long-neck soprano a lot lately. And I love the neck. I'm not a fan of beefy necks on guitars, but some of the ukes I've played feel like their necks are disappearing in my hand. This one does not.

I bought it with an O'ahu hardshell case, which fits extremely well and is a lot less trouble to open and close than the rigid foam/zipper models.

The mango is a little difficult to describe visually, so I'll let the pictures speak, weak as they may be. (Pictures have been updated for the replacement, noted in my post on page 2.)

Pono1_front.jpg Pono2_back.jpg

Last edited:
Your new uke is beautiful! Congratulations!

Those mango Ponos have a lovely tone. I have only heard them online, but they seem quite nice. Congrats!

I bought the MGTD tenor that comes with the gloss finish. I'm very impressed. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!!! DON'T FEAR THE MANGO!

Your uke is absolutely gorgeous!

ENJOY!

Wm.

Last edited:
Nice lookin' Uke, Chris. I like tenors too, but I don't know nothin' about mangos.

I hope you have a lotta good times with your new Uke. :eek:ld:

Looks great. Many happy strumming returns. ;)

Very nice ...... I have an AT and it great. You will enjoy this ukulele for a long time. Very open sound with the satin finish. Congratulations. Experiment with strings as you get to know our ukulele. I too had BT's on mine. They felt good. Move on to CT's, then Martin 620's, Salvarez, Southcoast, Oasis........<g> you get the idea. Lots of fun and TONS of different sound to be had. Enjoy!

Congratulations - a great choice! (says she who is still very much in love with her Pono Mango Baritone purchased back in August http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...aritone-(satin)&highlight=pono+mango+baritone ). I've finally got around to recording a Norah Jones song with mine (which still has the mahanas on), so hope to post it soon. I'd be interested to hear the tenor with worth browns... Anyway, got to echo this:
"DON'T FEAR THE MANGO!" Love it :D

Congrats! The necks on Ponos are actually a little thick for me, but oooooh the sound! My GF who has a Pono concert is crazy about it.

Nice one, enjoy!

Lovely looking!!! Glad it also has a lovely sound that you will enjoy for years to come! Congratulations!

It's another NUD for the same model. It turned out that the first one I got had a forward neck angle and flat intonation on the A and E strings, so I sent an email to Andrew at HMS with a few pictures, and he kindly offered a replacement, no questions asked. The action was all right, and chances are a compensated saddle would have corrected the intonation, but since I'm replacing my old tenor due to its bad neck angle, I felt it best to be cautious. Andrew sent me a prepaid FedEx label, I shipped it out a week ago Wednesday (3/25), and the replacement arrived today (pictures in my OP are updated).

Thanks to Andrew, I remain a Very Happy Camper!

Last edited:
Top Bottom