Bridges with pins, Kanile'a

jer

Reaction score
I was looking at some Kanile'a ukes and noticed they have bridges with pins in them. I've changed many a string on guitars, so I understand how they work, but I have a question about nylon strings. Would you simply tie a knot at the end of the string to work in place of the ball end that would be on a steel string? Or is there some other method here that is used with ukes?

Also, is there a link to a video or something explaining how to say Kanile'a properly?
These are some really nice looking instruments, but I haven't had a chance to try one out yet.

Thanks in advance for any replies to this!

Yes, just tie a knot and snug the pin. Go to the Kanile'a web sight and there's a video of Joe Souza (the owner), say it like he say's it (Ka-nee-lay-a).

Thanks! I'll check out the site.

Make sure you get the notch in the pin pointing the right way. I did not the first time I restrung my Kanilea and it kept popping out at rather high velocity. But works great if you do it right!

Make sure you get the notch in the pin pointing the right way. I did not the first time I restrung my Kanilea and it kept popping out at rather high velocity. But works great if you do it right!
Hmm. Ukulele as a self-defense tool, if your aim is good. :D

This video, made by Joe Souza at Kanile'a, demonstrates how to do a string change. I found it extremely helpful and it keeps me from having bridge pins fly across the room anymore.

Thanks for the video. Now the post above that makes more sense about having the slot going the right way. On guitars, you place the slot facing towards the headstock since the string actually sits against it, but on these you place it the other way since it's not really needed I see. Interesting.
I wonder why they don't just get bridge pins that have no slot in them. Then there is no question about the direction.
Now I just need a Kanile'a uke since I'm all set on string changes. :D

While we are on the subject, why do Kanilea have bridge pins?

Nylon instruments never seem to have pins.

Is there some history, or some practical aspect?

I've always liked the look of pin bridges. But, a simple tie bridge is the easiest to use, IMHO.
Not that pin bridges are hard to use.

I use very small beads on the end of my Kanile'a uke's strings. That helps keep them from slipping.

There is zero need for ball ends or beads - just big enough knots.

I've got one - on my first string change I noted that Kanile'a themselves didn't use beads or ball ends - so that's good enough for me if that's the way they string them!!

I love pin bridges! Or slotted bridges...tie bridge is a PITA! :shaka:

There is zero need for ball ends or beads - just big enough knots.

I've got one - on my first string change I noted that Kanile'a themselves didn't use beads or ball ends - so that's good enough for me if that's the way they string them!!

My previous Islander MC-4, had factory beads on the ends of the strings...my newly acquired AC-4 did not. And my Kanile'a did not either and before I always installed the bridge pins the "wrong" way but never had any problem.

I've always liked the look of pin bridges. But, a simple tie bridge is the easiest to use, IMHO.
Not that pin bridges are hard to use.
they are not hard, but can be a pain, they are my least favorite, but they do look good. I know vintage Martin tenors have them

Top Bottom