Thick neck

spookelele

Reaction score
So.. generally you hear people saying pono necks are thick, or Kala necks are thin. The other day, someone asked about it, and I said, you should be specific on which model of which brand you're asking about. So, to demonstrate this, here's an interesting picture.

Neck comparison of Kala TEME3 vs Kala ACP vs Pono ATSH

Despite the Kala ACP being concert, it's pretty much the same neck thickness as the Pono Tenor, both of which dwarf the tenor TEME3.

thick.jpg

Just pointing out, that "thick" vs "thin" is not so hard and fast as we sometimes imply it is.

Sorry all I thought of was Mary from Amish Mafia she has uber necken.

138668784953814136203001197_S2BSpecialEp1_MaryMerlinsNewSidekick.jpg

My old girl, the picture is around 6-7 years old now looking pretty thick necked.

angie.jpg

On topic I find its best to not listen to anyone very much and always research things myself, I dont trust the opinions of many others honestly. Those that just spout generalized information usually have little grasp on reality much less the thing they pretend to know so much about.

Like those on motorcycle forums still saying synthetic oil will ruin this or that, or those pushing trick spark plugs without ever researching anything beyond their faith that they are correct.

Funny animals we humans are.

So.. generally you hear people saying pono necks are thick, or Kala necks are thin. The other day, someone asked about it, and I said, you should be specific on which model of which brand you're asking about. So, to demonstrate this, here's an interesting picture.

Neck comparison of Kala TEME3 vs Kala ACP vs Pono ATSH

Despite the Kala ACP being concert, it's pretty much the same neck thickness as the Pono Tenor, both of which dwarf the tenor TEME3.

View attachment 77717

Just pointing out, that "thick" vs "thin" is not so hard and fast as we sometimes imply it is.

might as well get the PONO then. :D

been unhappy with thin necks so far and unfortunately neck thickness isn't mentioned in specs. this is the sort of knowledge you have to pick up on the street. who knows, maybe there will be an internet age and we can have information.

It's not just the thickness but also the shape of the neck. D shape and a C shape are different; add a thicker width and depth changes the feel.

It's not just the thickness but also the shape of the neck. D shape and a C shape are different; add a thicker width and depth changes the feel.

This right here. Thick can be misleading as most necks are 1-3/8" in width but they can be deep or shallow. As Patrick says C shaped feels different in your hand than a D shape. I have a Gretsch with a deep D shaped neck that no other uke comes even close to feeling the same as.

Phil doleman has the best advice of try em before you buy em. I myself. ........buy em, try em then sell em if they don't work out.

One of the things that your pictures illustrate perfectly is the difference between slotted head stock and solid. Look at how thick and abrupt the angle is from neck to headstock on the slothead. Playing an E7 or a C#dim7 = 0101 or anything on the first fret like those chord are easier on the shallower solid headstock because your hand is not jammed into the thick taper. At least it is for me with my old stiff crooked fingers.

Last edited:
20150322_075851.jpg

Spookele's picture motovated me to take one of my own.

Loprinzi on the left and Gretsch on the right, both are 1-3/8" wide at the nut. The Loprinzi has a flatish very shallow neck, Gretsch a super fat D shape

Last edited:
Very interesting pics. I have a Pono Pro Classic and a Cordoba 20. The Pono neck sure feels thicker than the Cordoba, and it did take me a while to get used to the difference. But also the Pono headstock is angled differently than the Cordoba, so some fingerings required different hand positions to properly grab the chords. For me, it was just getting used to it. Neither neck feels thicker than the two guitars a play regularly, Taylor 814 or Fender Tele.

Try before you buy! Try before you buy! Always with the "try before you buy"

Yeah, it's good advice, but many many people simply can't. The nearest Pono dealer is over 90 miles from me. Sometimes internet opinions/generalizations are the best you can do for pre-buying info gathering.

Neck thickness is best judged mid-fretboard, not at the headstock and nut.

note the 'try before you buy' good advice that it is, came from the UK. in the states you can whang down the highway a couple of hours to get somewhere, and you still have to go back. distances are shorter in the old world.

One of the things that your pictures illustrate perfectly is the difference between slotted head stock and solid. Look at how thick and abrupt the angle is from neck to headstock on the slothead. Playing an E7 or a C#dim7 = 0101 or anything on the first fret like those chord are easier on the shallower solid headstock because your hand is not jammed into the thick taper. At least it is for me with my old stiff crooked fingers.[/QUOTE]

I really agree with this. I think the slotted headstock is a liability in many cases. Sorry if this is off-topic but it is something I feel strongly about. Tired of the gushing over slotted headstocks.

Top Bottom