PDA

View Full Version : zebrano soprano

PiterCh
03-21-2015, 12:11 PM
Hello, I would like to present you with my 4th soprano. It is finished with truoil, the saddle is temporary but more or less - the uke will be looking like here:)

Hippie Dribble
03-21-2015, 03:41 PM
Very beautiful Peter. Do you have a website or gallery of some sort?

sequoia
03-21-2015, 06:15 PM
Interesting looking uke. Love the figure... Is it actually Kasha braced and why no soundhole? Does the side port take its place? Interesting. Is this primarily an electric instrument or accoustic?

PiterCh
03-22-2015, 10:33 AM
Hippie Dribble, sequoia,

thank you!
Well, I have no www gallery so far, but I think about it sometimes:)
This is absolutely acoustic soprano, a soundboard has a thickness of 1mm, back and sides 1.5mm. Top has a kasha bracing when back deck has got two ribs along the line of wood joint and it is carved. It was my purpose to check only the side hole ..hmm in my opinion it works fine. Now it has a new saddle - rosewood as the rest of the bridge:) New for me was the finishing with truoil - I added some lavender oil in order to kill the smell ;)

jcalkin
03-22-2015, 12:22 PM
Love the smell comment. When my wife gets a whiff of Tru Oil she says, "It smells like you're finally getting some work done in here!" If my room smelled like lavender she might begin to worry about me.

PiterCh
03-22-2015, 01:14 PM
hahaha :)

I like lavender. Last year I have prepared some violin varnish and lavender was in its recipe:) so I've done the same with TO:) All in all I like TO but my wife doesn't, she hate it (the smell of course).

PiterCh
03-22-2015, 02:03 PM
Interesting looking uke. Love the figure... Is it actually Kasha braced and why no soundhole? Does the side port take its place? Interesting. Is this primarily an electric instrument or accoustic?

oh, I didn't catch the question:( It has no piezo at all. I don't plan to install the transducer - only acoustical playing and enjoying:)
thank you for comments

little timber
03-22-2015, 02:41 PM
How did you go about glueing on the bridge with no forward facing sound hole to put clamps in through? Love the look of the zebrawood with the maple bindings

PiterCh
03-23-2015, 02:34 AM
How did you go about glueing on the bridge with no forward facing sound hole to put clamps in through? Love the look of the zebrawood with the maple bindings

Thank you for comments and question
To be honest.. I did not use any clamps besides my hands. I use only hot hide glue and I believe that this way doesn't need clamping much time... but I don't recommend as a axiomat, this is my way and my previous uke works fine after almost one year of exploitation and the way of bridge gluing was the same. So - if the planes are very well matched to himself - then hot hide glue and hand claps do the gluing well. It is my opinion. But I also wish to know the opinion of the professionalists. If it is bad idea - I will make a proper clamp which can be inserted through side hole. I hope that it is understandable cause english is not my 1st language:)

By the way - binding is made from flamed ash - but it looks like maple one :)

ksquine
03-23-2015, 04:45 AM
Very pretty soprano. How's it sound?

PiterCh
03-23-2015, 08:13 AM
Thank you!
I am not good with adjectives so it is not easy to describe the sound to me... But in my opinion it is relatively easy to excite the sound. I guess - it is due to the thin spruce top. The body is deeper than normally - over 6 cm in the center of backboard - so I can find in the sound more midrange... hard to say. I can't make a perfect instrument, but I try to apply the good quality material and glue - I love it:)

NeciaPL
03-26-2015, 08:02 AM
Piotrek, beautiful ukulele ! :)

jcalkin
03-26-2015, 08:25 AM

I've used a rubbed joint with Titebond and no clamps on my ukes. There's only a few thousandths of room to rub inside the finish outline, but it works. I did use a cam clamp to gently keep the top flat until the glue set. I recently removed one such bridge to do some finish improvement, and it was a nasty experience involving a lot more heat than I normally have to use.

PiterCh
03-26-2015, 10:27 AM
Aneto - thank you, I'm glad you like it.

John - thank you, glad to read it. I feel that this is enough for such string tension as soprano makes. I haven't tried to make the rubbed joint of the bridge after finishing process, so far. I know that this is right order to finish firstly and then glueing. Next time I will try to do this the way you said. Next time is close, I'm working on maple soprano with a spruce top.